Old 17 March 2005, 12:09   #1

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Eighth Child
Make: Rib X
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 E-Tec
Waking from Hibernation

I got my rib new last July and, on reading how you shouldn't winterise your engine but use your boat in the winter, I decided not to winterise.

As it happened I did not go out for any winter cruises so the engine has not been started since September. So my question is what should I do now that I want to go out in the boat. Is there a pre-season check list?

Before parking it up I flushed it out with fresh water but that is about all I did.

Also what about the trailer - any pre-season check over advice anyone could give?

Regards,

Peter.
Old 17 March 2005, 13:25   #2
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J
the engine has not been started since September. So my question is what should I do now that I want to go out in the boat. Is there a pre-season check list?
The engine will be fine, just do normal checks and run her up. Things I normally do: check oil level, quick visual inspection, spray the powerhead with a corrosion guard and torque the bolts on the steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J
Also what about the trailer - any pre-season check over advice anyone could give?
This partly depends on how well you have looked after the bearings during the season and which grease you use. If you have regularly pumped aqualube or equivalent into the hubs then they are probably fine - in which case just check there isn't too much movement if you rock the wheel back and forth - there should be a very small amount, any more and you will need to strip them and have a look.

If you've been using normal grease then I would recommend you strip them down. I find that bearings rust fairly quickly with normal grease.

If you have the time it might be worth stripping them down regardless - at least then you can be sure they are in good condition for the season ahead. I can't recommend aqualube enough - the stuff is brilliant.
Old 17 March 2005, 14:59   #3

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
I would add, if I may........

...........that it may be a good idea to let the engine run for a decent period (15 minutes or so) before upping anchor and blasting off into the sunset. Perhaps even better to run her on the phones before even touching the wet stuff. This way you'll allow everything to warm up and if any niggles need ironing out, that's the time to find them.

Other things to perhaps give thought to would be the state of your life jackets, flares,etc etc. Check the kill cord, throttle etc. Waste a full can of WD40 on the engine and any moving parts as well as a good dollop of grease where appropriate.

After that...... hot flask, nip of the strong stuff and away you go.
Old 18 March 2005, 12:13   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Eighth Child
Make: Rib X
Engine: 150 E-Tec
Thanks...

...for the replies.

I thought I would get it out of the shed and give it a once over. Stick the bottom end in a big water butt I have that covers the intakes and run it for 15 mins or so to be sure the battery is fully charged. I figured the first time I use it this year I would just muck about on Southampton Water for an hour or so. I'll set off on my ocean going adventures to those far off places like Cowes and Beaulieu on the second trip.
Old 18 March 2005, 12:28   #5

Town: Penzance
Boat name: Dark Angel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5.85
Engine: Mariner 90HP Four Stroke
Wd40

Please do not use WD40 on your engine, It will cause your rubber spark plug caps to perrish . AC90, GT85 are fine, WD is fine on nuts and bolts that need undoing but not electrics and rubber seals.
Old 18 March 2005, 12:45   #6

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Oh s.h.i.t......

..........I've wasted 2 extra large cans on my engine back in late January. Are you saying all my rubbers will have been damaged ? But you know, I've been spraying WD40 (Water Dispellant Formula No 40) on my engines for donkeys and have never noted any ill effect. May I ask, where does this info come from ? Fact - Hear Say or like so many observations, "My dad told me way back when"
Old 18 March 2005, 17:31   #7

Town: Penzance
Boat name: Dark Angel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5.85
Engine: Mariner 90HP Four Stroke
Hi, I was first told several years ago by an engineer servicing the works outboards and have since been told the same by several other mechanics. I have also seen myself perrished seals on various electronics, plotters/radars/tillerpilots etc. that I have had in for repair and when questioned the customer has confirmed the use of WD40, sometimes it is obvious as people often think that WD will fix everything if you use enough! It does have its place but not for everything that you may think.

As far as your seals sprayed in Jan I would expect them to be OK but would advise you to clean it off as soon as poss.

Sorry to give you an extra job this weekend,
best regards
Mark
Old 18 March 2005, 18:12   #8

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I have also used wd40 on various car electrics and spark plug boots etc etc for many years without problem - I find heat from the engine causes far more damage....
Old 13 March 2011, 18:36   #9

Town: Glasgow
Make: Honwave T38
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 20Hp
This is a similar question to the original. Our engine has been lay'd up since October 2009 since we didn't get a chance to use her in 2010. Plan to get her back in the water next month but want to know what checks to do on the engine before starting. She did get winterised by an approved dealer before being put in storage but is that only good for one winter?
Old 13 March 2011, 19:01   #10

Town: Leeds
Boat name: Bam Bam
Make: Zodiac YL-380-DL
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard, petrol, 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Make sure you make a good visual check on the trailer tyres as well as the bearings. I had to replace both tyres on my trailer last year due to them loosing large amounts of rubber while traveling. they were only eighteen months old! I was told by the tyre fitter (a boat owner) that it is better to jack the trailer up and set it on blocks with the tyres off the ground for the winter period, so that's what I did and so far so good. Tyres have no cracked rubber or flat spots. Have fun!
Old 13 March 2011, 21:56   #11

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam Bam View Post
Make sure you make a good visual check on the trailer tyres as well as the bearings. I had to replace both tyres on my trailer last year due to them loosing large amounts of rubber while traveling. they were only eighteen months old! I was told by the tyre fitter (a boat owner) that it is better to jack the trailer up and set it on blocks with the tyres off the ground for the winter period, so that's what I did and so far so good. Tyres have no cracked rubber or flat spots. Have fun!
I guess he's done that a few times in the past 6 years !!!!!!