Old 17 March 2004, 15:30   #21

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
I have done quite a bit of research on Gabon.

It seems that is quite a peacefull and reach (4th largest oil producer in Africa I think) country in fact.

Lots of fishing, have mountain gorilas, crocs, parotts, rinos, lepards, chitas etc and a president called Mr Bongo. This is according to CIA FACT FILES .

And although I agree with MeMe and Phil, the question still remains what are the security gurantees in case someone wanted to go? Any insurance, what happens if you get injured, get ill, get shot etc

No answer still
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2004, 15:49   #22

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
And from the CIA files:

Gabon Population:
note: estimates for this country explicitly take into account the effects of excess mortality due to AIDS; this can result in lower life expectancy, higher infant mortality and death rates than would otherwise be expected (July 2003 est.)

Chelmsford it is then
Old 17 March 2004, 15:54   #23
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Risks...

But surely you will be driving a RIB?

The high incidence of AID/HIV in the local populace shouldn't really affect that - unless you drive your boat in a somewhat different manner to most of us . !!

Dylan...

P.S. According to the CIA, South Africa has an AIDS incidence twice that of Gabon......... You'd probably not think twice about going there......
Old 17 March 2004, 15:57   #24

You're right Dylan - I'm sure the rubber sponsons would offer more than adequate protection
Old 17 March 2004, 15:59   #25
DGR

Diameter...

Now there's a thought. What diameter are the sponsons on Parks' RIB?!?

D...
Old 17 March 2004, 16:17   #26

It's the thickness of the rubber you want to be worrying about, not the diameter
Old 17 March 2004, 18:41   #27
DGR

Erm...

I've seen a thread recently about tube material...PVC, Hypalon, etc, and their individual merits...but I'm fairly sure that those particular material properties/qualities weren't discussed......

And I'm led to believe that diameter IS almost as important as length.........

D...
Old 20 March 2004, 08:36   #28

Reply to Manos et al

With regard to safety in Gabon, I can offer travel and health insurance, which basically means if you get your stuff ripped off or we need to fly you out of the country (in a Hypalon body bag or not) you'll be covered, and your dependents not bankrupted. If you get shot, then, well, I guess when your number is up, your number is up. It's hard to be more reassuring than that where bullets are concerned. However, you're probably as likely to catch a bullet after closing time in the high street as you are in Gabon. We all get malaria once in a while. If you take the pills faithfully, you probably won't. When you live here for years, the pills end up being worse for you than the malaria. If you catch it early, its way easier to treat than the common cold. There is an airport at Mayumba (served 3 times a week) but that will accept emergency flights any time during the day - so we can get folk out fast if necessary. I've spent many years in the rainforest, very far from any assistance, and certainly vulnerable. From time to time shit happens. However, I reckong this job is relatively low risk by comparison. I'm not a cowboy, and we will not be deliberately heading into situations that have an unacceptible risk level. Most of it will be very pleasant boating and a generally chilled lifestyle. Don't think I can say much more. Thanks for your time. Contact me directly (r.j.parnell@stir.ac.uk) if you want to learn more.