Old 02 October 2001, 00:41   #1

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Virus Alert!!

HUGE Apologies but my PC got infected with the SIRCAM virus tonight. I've now cleaned it after mucking around for several hours with the McAfee website!

If you got an email from me along the lines of "please can I have your comments on the attached" with a version of my RB4 story attached please DELETE without reading & you'll be OK.

Again, huge apologies for any problems caused.

Cheers,
Alan
Old 02 October 2001, 07:48   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
There are a lot of them around! These days a good, up to date virus checker is essential -- a few years ago (before we all used email all the time) it wasn't really a big deal, but if you haven't had a virus by email yet it's only a matter of time . . .

I currently use EZ Antivirus which you can download from http://www1.my-etrust.com/products/info/Antivirus/2 and I'm happy with it. It's easy to install, use and update. Although it doesn't have an automatic updating routine, it's very easy to do every few days. You can also elect to receive an email every time there is a new update to download.

Previously I used Norton Antivirus until I discovered that it wasn't actually updating itself, despite downloading the updates (it works well for other people though), and I've also used MacAfee antivirus until I lost patience with its convoluted install procedure and slow, advertising laden updates.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't make that much difference which product you use though, so long as you do use it and keep it up to date!

John
Old 02 October 2001, 08:40   #3
Trade member

Town: Yeovil, Somerset
Boat name: Ribcraft1
Make: Ribcraft
Send a message via Skype™ to jace
Currently receiving at least one e-mail viruses a day at work, as we are on a few peoples address books I guess. Using Norton 2001, Very good, murdering the little blighters so far, and the automatic live update thingy is especially good.

Jace
jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 October 2001, 09:08   #4

Town: Newfoundland
Thanks chaps

I have been kicking myself, I NEVER open attachments from people I don't know but lapsed last night. Part of the problem was that the mail came to the cruising@biboa email address which JK kindly forwards on to my email. I spent ages faffing around with MacAfee and still can't seem to get the bloody thing to download stuff to scan so I may give one of the others a try.

Cheers,
Alan
Old 02 October 2001, 13:03   #5

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Antivirus software

There are many antivirus software applications out there, all with their own merits. For the 'normal' home user a product called
PC-Cillin is especially good. I have installed it on many of my friends PC's, particularly since they are not IT orientated, it updates itself virtually everytime you go online. A lovely little utility you can run straight off their web site is called 'HouseScan', the URL is http://www.antivirus.com - Check it out!