Old 14 September 2002, 16:28   #11

Town: Bromley, Kent
Make: GS209
Length: 6.137
Engine: 4.3ltr 210hp Volvo Penta
Keith I was just thinking, where do you put all your safety kit on French trips, does it all float behind on something? More importantly where do you put your duty free (or should I say tax paid goods)

Pete

Old 14 September 2002, 16:31   #12

What is a PM?

Pete

Old 14 September 2002, 16:32   #13

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam HPDI 250
Argh, a private message - click user PM in the top right.
Old 14 September 2002, 16:33   #14

Opps, click user CP top right, then click private messages far right option (i hope)

Would have been better to just post it all here really!
Old 14 September 2002, 17:21   #15

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Pete,

One thing which you will find useful is the "Good Launch Guide" written by a forum member - Geoff. He also has a website (and between you and me, all the information is there!) www.boatlaunch.co.uk

It sounds like your son has accumulated an enviable amount of experience in his youth, so it looks like you could be in a reverse parody of Dad teaching Son to drive!

I've been messing around on different types of boats for a few years now, but I'm new to RIBs this year (haven't got round to buying one yet, though )... so my 2p worth on advice is short but concise:
1. Always remember to wear your engine kill-cord.
2. Don't let rope dangle in the water, and keep it all tidy - you don't want to wrap it round the prop.
3. If you fancy going offshore, join BIBOA (it's like this forum, but face to face, on the water).

Have fun!
Richard.
Old 14 September 2002, 17:27   #16

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Damn, Pepper beat me to it with both the www.boatlaunch.co.uk and the BIBOA suggestions! Boat launch will give you some places in Kent. Don't know the area well but the Medway might be a good area for first outings?

Do think about joining BIBOA as well. Not all our trips are roughty toughty offshore expeditions. Many are coastal hopping with emphasis on enjoying ribbing in good company and if we happen to find a decent pub on the way then all the better!

Cheers,
Alan
Old 14 September 2002, 17:33   #17

Richard,

The Tohatsu dealer had been given a complimentary copy at the boat show and I saw it briefly. I couldn't find the stand though, so that has answered my question. A very simple idea but very very useful indeed. (Is there a guide to launching difficulty or experienced needed in it, e.g. level 1 - 5 or whatever)

Thanks

Pete

P.S. I bought some floating rope at the show, there was a stand where they knotted the rope and made loops e.t.c. to your size. I will cut my front rope down a bit, what you said makes sense. Oh! do you need a fire extinguisher on a RIB (Mr I want to think of everything) or is that a silly question with so much water about.
Old 14 September 2002, 17:35   #18

Not a silly questuion - i carry two!
Old 14 September 2002, 17:36   #19

How do I get in the BIBOA site? I guess I could act as a tender for some of the big beasts out there.

Pete

CANCEL THIS QUESTION I HAVE FOUND IT, IT WAS A SIMPLE AS SEARCHING FOR BIBOA on a search engine, Sorry for being daft!
Old 14 September 2002, 18:16   #20

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Pete,
Don't worry about stuff - you've found your way to what's possibly (probably/definitely!) the best RIB resource around.

As regards difficulty of slipways, it's a matter of trying them, and just having your wits about you. We all make daft mistakes (or is it just me? ) and then like to warn others about them, at which point they escalate in gravity, perhaps through exaggeration (surely not! ) or just because our combination of events was unique.

I used to be a mountaineer, and there was a saying which sort of adapts for other adventure-type sports...
"It's not a sport for beginners"
And it's at that point that you realise that you've just gotta get out and do it and make your own mistakes!

But anyway, there's a thread here about the difficulty of launching called "size versus an easy life"....

My own favorite launching tactic is to keep a very, very long length (30m ish) of cheap (polypropylene) rope in the car so that my motor stays on the dry bit ('cos I ain't gotta four-by-four) and I can wrap it around the tow hitch to "lower" the trailer into the wet stuff.

Enjoy!
Richard.