MMSI: 235025718
Have a run up to the lakes
Old 25 November 2013, 06:45   #42

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
I like Micks suggestion of the lakes for a bit of experience. Obviously you'll be restricted for speeds but you've got the plus sides of easy launching, freshwater so no need to flush plus the advantage of not getting into bother if the engine plays up !!
Ullswater is probably a lot quieter than Windermere if memory serves me. Living in N.Yorkshire I've found our coast a bit limiting & tend to go to Scotlands west coast by choice !!

Good luck.
Old 25 November 2013, 07:12   #43

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
At the risk of being discouraging: if you're using Google for your journey times estimates then remember to add a bit for towing. Our journey time to Caernarfon is 3.5 on Google but takes us a good 4.5. I tow at 55 - 60.

I feel your pain tho. I was in the same position last year; busting to get out on my new rib. Ended up towing it up to Loch Lomond when we went to see my folks at Christmas. The rangers at Balloch thought we were nuts when we rocked up wanting to launch on Christmas Eve!
Old 25 November 2013, 08:50   #44

Town: West Bromwich
Boat name: Ellie V
Make: Excel Voyager 520
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 75 HP
MMSI: 235 908 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.moody View Post
I live in the midlands and do all my boating on the south coast (mainly The Solent). I guess Derbyshire to Southampton would be a slightly longer drive than the East coast, but the Solent area and Dorset coastline are great.
+1 except I use Christchurch, very easy slip to use, also would it not be better to have people around if you did encounter a problem.

Steve
Old 25 November 2013, 14:13   #45

Town: Bangor, North Wales
Make: Tornado
Engine: Evinrude 70hp OB
Reading this really makes me realise how lucky we are. Yesterday's outing took no more than two hours from hauling the boat out of the barn to putting it away all rinsed and tidy. Driving time to the water about 10 mins

The Menai Straits is a great place to try out a new toy. Legally sea, so no grief, lots of slipways to choose from and sheltered in almost any conditions. OK there is the tide, but that can be your free recovery service with a bit of planning. Probably too far though.

David
Old 25 November 2013, 16:38   #46

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
I like Micks suggestion of the lakes for a bit of experience. Obviously you'll be restricted for speeds but you've got the plus sides of easy launching, freshwater so no need to flush plus the advantage of not getting into bother if the engine plays up !! Ullswater is probably a lot quieter than Windermere if memory serves me. Living in N.Yorkshire I've found our coast a bit limiting & tend to go to Scotlands west coast by choice !! Good luck.
I've been told there is an area on Windermere down the bottom you can ski as long as your sensible and the wardens don't mind.
Or ullswater is very quiet this time of year
Old 25 November 2013, 18:50   #47

Town: Belper
Boat name: Ey up mi duck
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Fell asleep last night just got back from work . Cheers for all your comments and suggestions . The west coast of Scotland is to blame for me buying a boat in the first place . The Hebridean isles are on our agenda for next year . Jura and mull can't wait . Lincoln and the lakes had crossed my mind but I think I am going to be a sea snob before I start , the thought of going out on lakes doesn't do it for me.

Did our power boat course on Menai and yes it did open my eyes to the area so may explore more in the spring .

It's been great of you all to share you knowledge with me . If I do go up to whitby to try on Sunday I assume you will all be there to help !!!
Old 25 November 2013, 20:45   #48

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
No I'll be taking a day trip down to The Solent. You are welcome to join me and peterm and probably a few others down there

--
Tigga - Avon SR4 Rescue with 40hp Yamaha 2 stroke
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2013, 10:02   #49

Town: Oop North
Quote:
Living in N.Yorkshire I've found our coast a bit limiting
Very true, I haven't launched since mid September, it's either been to rough, or to windy (light breeze today, but six foot swells).
Old 26 November 2013, 11:11   #50

Town: North Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mary Olwen
Make: Humber
Engine: OB, Petrol, 140HP
There aren't many slips to choose from on the East coast compared to many other parts of the UK.
You could try Scarborough harbour as it's a bit closer than Whitby. Decent ramp and accessible at all states of the tide. About £15 launch fees.
Leisure - Launching
Old 26 November 2013, 13:25   #51

Cheers
Might give Scarborough a go instead although six foot swells might be okay for my ribcraft but not the wimp on it ! Might be heading down the Solent yet
Old 26 November 2013, 14:45   #52

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedonna View Post
Cheers Might give Scarborough a go instead although six foot swells might be okay for my ribcraft but not the wimp on it ! Might be heading down the Solent yet
Where ever you go let us know we will be worried sick else
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2013, 16:24   #53

Engine: 70hp
Just pick your weather and all will be ok mate. North East coast is not all that different to the Solent or Poole, just not so many boats out. Recently been out at night from the Tees, Hamble and Poole. Best night was out from the Tees with thunderstorms in the distance out at sea. I have used the council crane at Scarborough but not the slip so no idea what its like.
Have a look at Whitby Web Cam you can even see what it looked like today at sun set.
Old 26 November 2013, 16:25   #54

Will do should be okay though I will where my PJ,s . I think I can remember how to knot them and blow them up from my silver survival badge days !
Old 26 November 2013, 17:33   #55

Town: Oop North
Quote:
Best night was out from the Tees with thunderstorms in the distance out at sea.
Where in the river did you launch from?
Old 26 November 2013, 18:39   #56

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
River Tees is bad too especially at the mouth if theres a Northerly or Easterly & even a westerly blowing which can for the inexperienced make recovery onto a trailer difficult on the south Gare club slip , its same as Whitby even though its on the East coast its North facing , Unless you can launch up river somewhere the Club slipway at South Gare marine club Teesmouth is members only & stopped day launches to public many years ago .
Old 26 November 2013, 19:16   #57

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
I beach launched at Redcar beach & Runswick Bay last year with no issues. I just made certain of the swell forecast on Magic Seaweed before setting off.
I like Largs Marina although we usually stay over as it's a bit of a run ! In the 70's we used to launch from the shore on Ullswater's south shore for free but I don't know if that's still possible?
Old 26 November 2013, 19:26   #58

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
I can see this thread going into a disaster thread on mon
Old 26 November 2013, 19:44   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
Where in the river did you launch from?
I was running an Advanced PB course so the boat was in the tidal river. But have used the slip just upstream of the Lady Diana bridge in Stockton and the Tess Barrage slip. Two of the simplest and most sheltered slips you can find. The impounded river has a speed limit but the tidal river has not. Not sure of any current charges on the impounded river. Never used the slip down by Paddy's Hole as it looks rather exposed.
Old 26 November 2013, 19:55   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
I beach launched at Redcar beach & Runswick Bay last year with no issues. I just made certain of the swell forecast on Magic Seaweed before setting off.
I like Largs Marina although we usually stay over as it's a bit of a run ! In the 70's we used to launch from the shore on Ullswater's south shore for free but I don't know if that's still possible?
The slip at Howtown is free. I have not seen it used for many years but from the water a few weeks ago it looked the same as it did. You just have the single track road to contend with from Pooley Bridge. And remember Ullswater has a 10mph speed limit so not ideal for Ribs. You have my respect launching from Runswick, its a v steep ramp down to the beach, fine with a tractor but not for my car.