Old 25 August 2016, 01:29   #51

Length: 3m +
Yip I'm aware of that. But you didn't link to the BS/ISO test method... ...so most people wear a 150 - 175N jacket... But most RIBbers in conditions where they may end up in the water will be in dry suit or heavy weather gear with boots on in swells of >1m ... A 150N jacket isn't tested to roll a person wearing that much gear in that kind of sea...

Old 25 August 2016, 01:47   #52

Town: London
Boat name: Galene
Make: Ribeye S650
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
This is the basic safety kit recreational boaters need to have by law here, anyone who can't afford safety gear should stick to walking beaches

Safety equipment requirements - Safety equipment - Safety & rules (Boating Handbook) - Maritime - Roads and Maritime Services
"The V sheet is a fluorescent orange-red coloured sheet (1.8 x 1.2 metres minimum) with a large black V printed in the middle.

V sheets are required to be carried by all vessels operating on open (ocean) waters. They can be spread over the deck of a boat or flown as a flag to indicate that you are in trouble."

Is this an Australian thing? Hadn't heard of one before

Old 25 August 2016, 04:22   #53
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorabain View Post
Is this an Australian thing? Hadn't heard of one before
The V-sheet may be - but the concept of a signalling flag is universal. I'm obliged to carry one. I've seen a vessel in difficulty close to shore trying to attract attention by the crew waving their arms. TBH, at first glance I thought they were waving to a shore party and almost drove past them. A fluoro flag would have had me on them in a heartbeat...
Old 25 August 2016, 04:44   #54

Town: London
Boat name: Galene
Make: Ribeye S650
Engine: Yamaha 150hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
The V-sheet may be - but the concept of a signalling flag is universal. I'm obliged to carry one. I've seen a vessel in difficulty close to shore trying to attract attention by the crew waving their arms. TBH, at first glance I thought they were waving to a shore party and almost drove past them. A fluoro flag would have had me on them in a heartbeat...
agree with someone waving a fluoro flag. I guess the "V" derives from the official Victor flag, which I wouldn't have recognised before checking just now, and maybe they're just really patriotic northern irelanders.

maybe a big fluoro flag with a sad smiley on it : (
Old 25 August 2016, 14:40   #55

Town: Cork
Boat name: Excalibur
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
Someone said all PLBs are manually activated, which is no longer true. There is a new auto life jacket with an integrated PLB which is being actively promoted by BIM the Irish government fishing body particularly at small fishermen. You do their survival course , cost about 150, and you get a free voucher for a life jacket worth about 700.

Details here http://chmarine.com/acatalog/mullion...150n-3mvi.html

Share with any commercial fisherman you know in Irish waters because way too many are fished out dead after going overboard hauling pots or nets solo.

As for their efficacy, a very safety conscious young fisherman I know went overboard about four months back. He was fishing with a crewman in a bit of a swell and about to drop a string of pots with an anchor attached. The anchor was sitting on the gunwale ready to be pushed in but slipped off with the swell as he stood by. The fluke went into his oilies and took him over the side. He'd done the BIM course just a month previously and was wearing the new Mullion integrated jacket. It inflated perfectly and then it took the two guys about ten to 15 minutes to get him back on board by which time they were both exhausted. Less than 15 minutes or thereabouts later the RNLI arrived alongside while the two lads were still recovering from the shock and exertion. The PLB triggers when the jacket inflates and had summoned the cavalry.

Amazing bit of kit and had my friend been fishing on his own he would most likely have died from hypothermia even though he's religious about life jackets. Full credit to BIM for both the jacket and the initiative, it will save lives.

For myself, as I'm mainly solo, I ensure someone knows where I'm going and when I'll check in at two/three hour intervals. I have a fixed VHF and always carry a floating hand held in my jacket. I carry a waterproof phone and while I have always carried personal flares on a lanyard, I've dispensed with those in favour of a PLB on a lanyard. I never had much faith in flares in remote spots anyway and there is a limit to how much stuff you can carry on your person. I place little value on anything in or attached to the RIB because on at least two occasions in my experience I've been extremely lucky not to get flipped and if that happens you won't be getting at anything in the boat.

If I had to choose one thing, it would be the PLB as I see plenty of areas where vhf is useless with high cliffs or no traffic in line of sight and phone coverage can be very sketchy inshore. With a six year battery, there is no maintenance and little to go wrong so maximum peace of mind. If you haven't got one, buy one , works out about 40-50 a year even if you throw it away rather than replacing the battery!
Old 25 August 2016, 14:58   #56

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Trouble is, jackets inflate accidentally and if everyone had them the call outs would soar. I've had three jackets inflate in say 5yrs accidentally.

Perhaps they should only be used by commercial fishermen or something?
Old 25 August 2016, 15:31   #57
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Trouble is, jackets inflate accidentally and if everyone had them the call outs would soar. I've had three jackets inflate in say 5yrs accidentally.

Perhaps they should only be used by commercial fishermen or something?
I fully concur that you shouldn't wear one!
Old 25 August 2016, 15:32   #58
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daibheid View Post
Someone said all PLBs are manually activated, which is no longer true. There is a new auto life jacket with an integrated PLB which is being actively promoted by BIM the Irish government fishing body particularly at small fishermen.
What makes you think that is automatically activated at a PLB? It reads to me as an auto lifejacket with a pretty standard PLB neatly carried in it.
Old 25 August 2016, 16:00   #59
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daibheid View Post
Someone said all PLBs are manually activated, which is no longer true. There is a new auto life jacket with an integrated PLB which is being actively promoted by BIM the Irish government fishing body particularly at small fishermen. You do their survival course , cost about €150, and you get a free voucher for a life jacket worth about €700.

Details here Mullion Safelink Solo Compact PFD 150N 3MVI Lifejacket

Share with any commercial fisherman you know in Irish waters because way too many are fished out dead after going overboard hauling pots or nets solo.

As for their efficacy, a very safety conscious young fisherman I know went overboard about four months back. He was fishing with a crewman in a bit of a swell and about to drop a string of pots with an anchor attached. The anchor was sitting on the gunwale ready to be pushed in but slipped off with the swell as he stood by. The fluke went into his oilies and took him over the side. He'd done the BIM course just a month previously and was wearing the new Mullion integrated jacket. It inflated perfectly and then it took the two guys about ten to 15 minutes to get him back on board by which time they were both exhausted. Less than 15 minutes or thereabouts later the RNLI arrived alongside while the two lads were still recovering from the shock and exertion. The PLB triggers when the jacket inflates and had summoned the cavalry.

Amazing bit of kit and had my friend been fishing on his own he would most likely have died from hypothermia even though he's religious about life jackets. Full credit to BIM for both the jacket and the initiative, it will save lives.

For myself, as I'm mainly solo, I ensure someone knows where I'm going and when I'll check in at two/three hour intervals. I have a fixed VHF and always carry a floating hand held in my jacket. I carry a waterproof phone and while I have always carried personal flares on a lanyard, I've dispensed with those in favour of a PLB on a lanyard. I never had much faith in flares in remote spots anyway and there is a limit to how much stuff you can carry on your person. I place little value on anything in or attached to the RIB because on at least two occasions in my experience I've been extremely lucky not to get flipped and if that happens you won't be getting at anything in the boat.

If I had to choose one thing, it would be the PLB as I see plenty of areas where vhf is useless with high cliffs or no traffic in line of sight and phone coverage can be very sketchy inshore. With a six year battery, there is no maintenance and little to go wrong so maximum peace of mind. If you haven't got one, buy one , works out about €40-50 a year even if you throw it away rather than replacing the battery!
Lots of sound advice here and I really approve of the initiatives being taken
by the Irish fishing industry. It seems that fishermen
around the British Isles have always been reluctant to wear lifejackets,
for various reasons am sure - and am guessing, comfort at work, tradition, snagging ... etc.
Many reading this forum will need no convincing about the merits of a PLB,
but maybe one or two new to here will think about what's being said and buy one.
Old 25 August 2016, 18:52   #60

Town: Cork
Boat name: Excalibur
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
@poly
What makes you think that is automatically activated at a PLB? It reads to me as an auto lifejacket with a pretty standard PLB neatly carried in it.

You may be right, I went by the account of the guy who used it for real but it's entirely possible all the flailing around in the water or his crew trying to hoist him back up into the fishing boat triggered it too. I've the same McMurdo and it doesn't look too difficult to knock the trigger off so I always keep it in the yellow pouch to reduce the risk of that happening when it's tucked inside my PFD.
Btw I prefer a PFD because there's nothing to go wrong and nothing to think about when you go in the water plus if you go in the water or pop it accidentally snagging on something you don't need a rearming kit or risking being without a PFD on a long trip home. It's a trade off against the safety offered by a life jacket in an unconscious situation I know but that's my choice when Ribbing. I use a gas inflate LJ on a sail boat because it's more compact and has an integrated harness.