Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
Fixed VHF in the console.
Hand held attached to me
Spare one in seat (great for passenger pick up)
Flares and PLB in BDU container under seat
Waterproof Phone in pocket usually

Sort of a running order really of what I'll use should the need arrise
The one thing that strikes me as a very possible issue for all of us, is capsize. I often wonder if we should be making our flares, spare comms, PLB etc, much more accessible from upside down. Anyone thought this through other than having a million devices hanging off each of us?
Old 22 August 2016, 11:49   #12

Town: WAterford
Boat name: na
Make: Rimini
Length: 5m +
Engine: dt85
Poly thanks for the info I will look into that. My handheld is from the US currently works fine.. As far as I can tell. Seems pretty short sighted if they would not work over here. Coming from a sailing background what happens once you sail across the pond, Have to buy a new one .

My plan is to have my

Garmin Fenix gps watch on me
Hand held vhf on me
Phone in a waterproof case on me.
Fixed vhf
And flares.

At least I can give my coordinates as I am floating away.

Old 22 August 2016, 11:49   #13

Town: Dorset
Length: 6m +
'Grab' drybag with emergency equipment clipped to lifeline. Allows it to be retrieved in event of a capsize. Also stops it going for a swim in normal use.
Old 22 August 2016, 11:51   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
The one thing that strikes me as a very possible issue for all of us, is capsize. I often wonder if we should be making our flares, spare comms, PLB etc, much more accessible from upside down. Anyone thought this through other than having a million devices hanging off each of us?

Might not be a bad idea to have a float tide to a bag of flares/vhf?
Old 22 August 2016, 12:20   #15

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by idsebby View Post
Might not be a bad idea to have a float tide to a bag of flares/vhf?
That's why mine are in the BDH container, these float and are virtually indestructible.

If I should flip I hope they'll stay in the seat pod , so just a case of under and find - he says....................

Mind you I was thinking of adding a clip in net to the pod, to ensure things stay put as the seats aren't clipped down, and would be a pain to do so I think.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2016, 12:49   #16

If you had a line tide to the float and the float hanging off the side like a fender. Then when your boat flips it's just a matter of grabbing the line and pulling.
Old 22 August 2016, 13:12   #17
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
If you had a line tide to the float and the float hanging off the side like a fender. Then when your boat flips it's just a matter of grabbing the line and pulling.
I've capsized many a dinghy and I find it hard to believe that a high speed, unexpected (rare) flip results in those lines all being neat and easily accessible to grab and pulling freely on what you want. For the same reason I am not really enthused by the idea of ducking under the hull to try and find the flare bottle. even less so if there is likely fuel and two stroke leaking into the hull void, especially in the conditions likely to flip a rib.
Old 22 August 2016, 14:39   #18
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
At the risk of getting into a "what if" circular argument, this is what we ( I & Mrs PD)have & I'm sure it will cover all but the most extreme "well I never thought that could happen" scenarios:-
Fixed DSC vhf
PLB in each of our life jackets (x2)
Hand held VHF clipped to one LJ
One of SPR's greatland rescue lasers clipped to one LJ.
Line cutters on both LJs
The whole lot is tidy, compact & unobtrusive. It's as far as I'm prepared to go, if we die, amen. I've done what is "reasonably practicable"
IMHO

Lions led by donkeys
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2016, 14:52   #19

Quote:
Poly thanks for the info I will look into that. My handheld is from the US currently works fine.. As far as I can tell. Seems pretty short sighted if they would not work over here. Coming from a sailing background what happens once you sail across the pond, Have to buy a new one .
There will generally be US, INTL and maybe CAN modes. So that bit is straightforward. And 16 will work on all modes.

BUT a US radio will not usually have 37(M)/M1/M2 programmed. That may not be a major issue. But the day you want to talk to a Marina or some such and don't have it you'll be wondering if the <20 saving was really worth it.

Quote:
That's why mine are in the BDH container, these float and are virtually indestructible.
MustRib would probably suggest that PLB belongs on you not on the Rib.

Quote:
If I should flip I hope they'll stay in the seat pod , so just a case of under and find - he says....................
They ain't staying in the pod. The BDH container is coming out the other side from you and floating away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I've capsized many a dinghy and I find it hard to believe that a high speed, unexpected (rare) flip results in those lines all being neat and easily accessible to grab and pulling freely on what you want. For the same reason I am not really enthused by the idea of ducking under the hull to try and find the flare bottle. even less so if there is likely fuel and two stroke leaking into the hull void, especially in the conditions likely to flip a rib.
Yip - the RNLI didn't seem too keen to get under the D Class on the TV the other week. They didn't even manage to stay alongside the boat.
Old 22 August 2016, 15:54   #20

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: N/A
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 140HP
RIBase
Some interesting posts.

For a grab bag, I'd say near the transom as you don't have to overcome the tube to get at it. On ships, the lanyard for the liferaft is 'housed' in a split plastic pipe so when you pull one end it comes out of the split. You could do the same on the transom with the other end attached to the grab bag.

Back to OP - I've got a fixed VHF. I did consider a HH but decided that the power and the fact it is linked to my chart plotter outweighed the convenience of the HH.