Old 09 October 2005, 09:39   #11

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
You could always say," Following DSC distress alert." in your call.

Just to help them out, you understand.

Old 09 October 2005, 09:45   #12

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
This is really a two part issue.

Secondly, if you bang off a DSC Distress Alert, and follow it up with your voice call, without including your MMSI, who is to know that the 2 are one and the same, and that there aren't 2 distress situations ongoing? Including your MMSI is how the controlling station can tie in your voice call with the DSC alert they will have recieved.
The name of the vessel or more importantly - the call sign should be quite sufficient!!!

Old 09 October 2005, 09:50   #13

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
How will that work, Cod? Does your DSC distress alert also send your boat name/callsign?
Old 09 October 2005, 10:22   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
How will that work, Cod? Does your DSC distress alert also send your boat name/callsign?
I would have thought so - surely when they get your DSC alert it comes up with the registered details??? Pretty simple database stuff!!!
Old 09 October 2005, 11:31   #15

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Quote:
Our instructor was encouraging everyone to complete a CG 66 if the CG have your MMSI they have full details on you, boat description, name, shore contacts etc.etc.
Old 09 October 2005, 11:35   #16

Yes they are a great idea - I think!!!
Old 09 October 2005, 11:56   #17

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Yamaha
RIBase
Quote:
No! The DSC alert only sends your MMSI number and the position, current if attached to your GPS, last known if not!

Neither boat name or call sign is sent. It is why the MMSI number should be included in the voice call follow up.

When I run a VHF course I tell students to have their MMSI number etc in a easy readable format - including call sign and MAYDAY message - near to the radio itself. It is also easy to TX the MMSI number by breaking it down into 3 groups of 3 - 232 - 457 - 789, easier to read and easier to copy down.

I always use radio sims and students get to use the sets throughout the course - they are much better than the computer simulator which causes problems and can break up the course while students "learn" how to use it.
Old 09 October 2005, 14:05   #18

I know the radio only sends the mmsi number/position etc but wouldn't it be a good idea for the coastguard computer to then flag up all the info relevant to that MMSI number??? Thought that was the idea of such a system!!!

The chances of hearing ALL the digits of that long number when reception is poor and people are panicking is not very high!!!
Old 09 October 2005, 14:25   #19

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Yamaha
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
I know the radio only sends the mmsi number/position etc but wouldn't it be a good idea for the coastguard computer to then flag up all the info relevant to that MMSI number??? Thought that was the idea of such a system!!!

The chances of hearing ALL the digits of that long number when reception is poor and people are panicking is not very high!!!
It would be a good idea, but as I understand it at the moment, this does not happen. You can get hold of MMSI numbers via the ITU's web site, but it can take time for the data to be registered - MARS

You then get taken thru to this page

As to making the call, it's one of the reasons instructors (should) spend time on the VHF course emphasising the point in how best to say the MMSI number. And why it's important to "role play" voice calls.
Old 09 October 2005, 14:26   #20

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Length: no boat
To make life easy (althought i am an instructor). I have an MCA card attached to the console (laminated). All you have to do is fill in the blanks spaces whilst on land and there you go - easy. My missus has trouble with these sorts of things and she thinks it makes it very clear e.g DSC button proceedure and then the voice call on ch 16.

Find a mate in the marina and practice some of the routine stuff, i have an ICOM and the menus are clear but still need time to refresh.