Old 20 September 2011, 10:46   #11
Town: Darlington
Boat name: Dory
Make: Crompton Seasprint
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mariner 200 outboard
I won't go into specifics, tried PVC, total garbage.

I'd go with Hypalon every time.

Good luck with your choice

Silent but deaf-lee
diverdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 October 2011, 08:39   #12
Length: 3m +
Anybody got a view on whether the resale value of a boat with hypalon tubes would be higher than an otherwise identical PVC-tubed boat?

Threepointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 October 2011, 08:41   #13
RIBnet admin team
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
3-pointer - resale will usually be higher for a hypalon v's a PVC boat. Obviously other factors affect price but an educated buyer would be avoiding PVC on an older boat. Although bear in mind a retube might be less that 20% of the cost of a fancy boat.
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 October 2011, 11:31   #14
Town: Leesburg
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard 40
Good PVC boats have thermo-welded seams. This fuses the fabric essentially making it one piece. When PVC is glued with solvent glues, pretty much the same thing happens (fabric partially dissolves and flows together).

Hypalon boats are glued together. The glue flows into the fabric and holds the fabric pieces together. The boat is only as strong as the glue is. The Hypalon fabric will often last longer than the glue. Gluing properly can be a tricky job if you don't know what you are doing. Repairing PVC is easier than Hypalon.

The PVC fabric will eventually get stiffer and more brittle. How fast this happens depends on the care given the boat. The Hypalon fabric itself will last longer and is more durable than PVC. The glue joints on the Hypalon boat will eventually discolor and will show more.

My first RIB was Hypalon (supposedly from a reputable manufacturer). It was bought new. After only a few hours the glue joints at the transom started separating. While it was fixed under warranty it involved a couple of weeks without the boat and traveling some distance to the repair facility.

My current RIB is PVC. The tubes are new, and so far I have not had any issues with this boat. A set of hypalon tubes for this boat cost about 2x what the PVC tubes cost.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 October 2011, 14:03   #15
Town: Dartmouth
Length: 6m +
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
Repairing PVC is easier than Hypalon
I would have to disagree with you on that!

Hypalon Tubes built in-house,retubing, repairs, Accessories
ribraff is offline   Reply With Quote