exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffy View Post
I will not mention the time you drove across Gurnard Ledge

gud mann. itt wud av imbarast CLIB ifn yew ad menshund girnard lejj.

enywaiys az a reer admirul i wud lyke too noe hoo maid yew a commador

woz it de kween
Old 01 December 2007, 18:35   #72

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Doug - i think it is some sort of SuperNanny sticker chart (or perhaps its like McDonalds staff with a badge).
I think the usual phrase is 'competence based training' , which is (IMO) a useful training and assessment tool. Somewhere between an intensive, formal course (with limited time and only one specific set of conditions) and a log book with lots of dates and lots of hours but very little else. Stickers and badges are (I'm sure) optional .

Cheers

Chris

Old 01 December 2007, 22:50   #73
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
Actually, everything I've seen that he's posted either comes across as defensive or as though he feels like the underdog.It's not doing the Venturers image much good in my opinion.

Matt has definitely got the edge in communication skills...

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2007, 06:04   #74

Town: Far west!
Boat name: Vigilant
Make: Humber
Engine: 90hp
Quote:
Which the
Coast Guard must trust or they would not accept our offers of assistance
HMCG will normally allow any nearby vessel to assist WHILST THEY TASK A DECLARED FACILITY.

If it is a straightforward tow job, and the distressed vessel is also willing to accept your assistance only, of course a declared asset would not be tasked. This is the same with a friend towing a friend in, two fishing boats, etc. Accepting your offer on scene DOES NOT imply they believe you to be the same standard as declared assets, merely acknowledges the fact you are nearest.

I too don't always agree with the RYA, but saying they would not allow you to assist a distress vessel whilst training is crap, as is your comment about them not allowing you to add training. Of course, you cannot alter the RYA syllabus, but there is nothing to stop you adding extras seperately. We have done this for many years both training declared rescue teams and merchant marine.

I'm always worried when people try to operate their own rules outside the mainstream - the RYA are not good enough for you, you will not go through the process of declaring your assets within the UK SAR framework, and from what I can see your "land" teams are not part of either the Mountain Rescue Council or the Association of Lowland Search and Rescue, the governing bodies for that activity.

I note your land teams have also in the past participated in such things a putting out heath fires - do you have an MOU with the Fire Service? Do you fully train and insure your youths? Of course not, no insurer in their right mind would entertain children (for that is what they are) tackling fires.

I am sure Venturers have done much good in showing young people a way forward, and should continue to do so, but please stop pretending you are anything other than a cadet association that happens to be at sea sometimes when things happen to other people.

And for heavens sake, put a brake on the sickening sight of you openly attacking proper, declared rescue services in a public forum.

Stick to doing one thing well - either be a youth organisation or a lifeboat service. You can't do both.
Old 02 December 2007, 19:12   #75

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Venturer Rescue One
Make: Ocean Dynamics
Length: 9m +
Engine: 400 hp Iveco NEF
Fire fighting and training.

we train with the MOD Fire service on a reasnably regulard basis.

Quote:
from what I can see your "land" teams are not part of either the Mountain Rescue Council or the Association of Lowland Search and Rescue
Which montains in New Forest?? and Lowland Search and Rescue have only one unit per area, they already have a unit HANTSAR for the New Forest.

We have a MOU with the police, indeed today we winched three cars out of a Ford before being asked by the Police to assit with a search for 4 missing persons in the New Forest, they were found shortley before our arrival and thanks to our first aid training a young lady was identified as needing hospital treatment and appropriate measures to warm the casualties and call the ambulance was made, she was taken to hospital for further checkups. Police happy with our services.

hope this answers a couple of questions.

Regards

Matt

Matt-V-SAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 December 2007, 03:30   #76

Town: Far west!
Boat name: Vigilant
Make: Humber
Engine: 90hp
Sounds like you're moving in the right direction with MOUs, etc although I am surprised the Police are tasking under 18s to any incident. Not sure how this leaves you regarding insurance, I was fairly heavily involved in negotiating the UK SAR insurance cover and recollect we had to exlude <18 from operational activity.

I know Mountain Rescue for Hampshire sounds daft, but their remit spreads wider than purely hills! Not sure if why there is already a HANTSAR, you don't join that rather than duplicating resources...

Now all you need to do is sort out an MOU with HMCG and the SSRO and you'll be almost there...
Old 03 December 2007, 04:14   #77

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by havener View Post
although I am surprised the Police are tasking under 18s to any incident.
Probably because they have quickly deployable manpower and there own transport so they could quickly cover quite a large area of the heath. I suspect that the standard of training that the young volunteers receive means they are much more proficient with a map than ordinary police officers.

Given the conditions on the south coast yesterday probably a good call.

Pete
Old 03 December 2007, 05:05   #78

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Venturer Rescue One
Make: Ocean Dynamics
Engine: 400 hp Iveco NEF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Probably because they have quickly deployable manpower and there own transport so they could quickly cover quite a large area of the heath. I suspect that the standard of training that the young volunteers receive means they are much more proficient with a map than ordinary police officers.

Given the conditions on the south coast yesterday probably a good call.

Pete
This is spot on, we can deploy normally within 30 mins with four 4x4 vehicles, Yesterday we were on scene within 10, but we were reasonably close by lol.

We are fully trained for searches, vehicle recoverys etc

Regards

Matt

Matt-V-SAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 December 2007, 05:37   #79

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Tabby Cat
Make: Halmatic
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 115
Tiffy

Interesting post you have made. Firstly the RYA. You knock the sylabus, but do you realise that the RNLI use the same sylabus with their own bolt on pieces. This is adopted worldwide.

Secondly your claim On Cowes Inshore Lifeboat. As I said all of this was before my days and therefore cannot comment. Our previous boat was a 7.5 meter tornado with twin outboards on so you must be reffering to that.

Our boat operates 2 fixed VHF radios, together with 2 handhelds. These radios will be monitoring, CH, 0, 16, 67 together with a racing channel for any particular day. I was coxsain of the boat that day and were instructed to contact you buy coastguard, so surely they would of known what channel you were on!

We have good relationships with all of the declared facilities within the solent area and train with them on an regular basis. I have had a discussions with the coxsains of our boat about doing some training with you but unfortunatly they have all said no, for reasons I cannot release on this forum. If you would like to know then please contact me direct so that I may discuss with you.
Old 03 December 2007, 13:29   #80

Town: Holbury
Make: Ocean Dynamic
Engine: 2 330 Iveco Hamilton
riminal Records

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
tiffy - I suggest you might want to take some advice from Doug @ Stormforce on good management of potentially adverse publicity, or indeed even from Matt. Your post above comes across as a defensive rant.

how many of your teenagers have criminal records? there is this repeated claim that you are preventing young people from participating in crime - but I suspect that many of the people involved may not actually be the sort of teenager which uses mindless vandalism and theft to fill their spare time.
Many of our teenagers come from local housing Estates , and regardless
of past history have proved honest and reliable as regards involvement
with the Venturers. One boy asked why he joined the Venturers stated
" It keeps me out of trouble and when I am down at the Venturers I
AM SOMEBODY . May I need to say more ? So why do so many other
Adult Rescues services try belittle them ,or spread untrue malicious rumors
which dissolve in Mirrors and Smoke. Still waiting for chapter verse
dates and location , proof of any repairs on the allegation we rammed
his motor cruiser while it was at anchor.

« Rope | Top | wooden ribs »