Old 08 July 2014, 18:31   #1

Town: Gas station
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 60 HP
Valiant V450 stern heavy?

Hi I am thinking about buying a 2010 valiant V450 with a 60hp 4 stroke but from experience with a bombard SB500 I am concerned this will be stern heavy, any views on this and general comments. I want the rib for family days out, not taking on the high seas!
Old 08 July 2014, 19:50   #2
NSS

Length: no boat
I looked at the V450s before buying my current RIB and did wonder whether this was why the tubes on the Valiant seem to extend so far aft of the transom.

That said, Walker Bay have since done a similar thing to the Generation, turning my 430 into a 450, with the only significant difference being that the tube ends have been extended 20cm (while the hull remains the same). In their case it was openly stated that this had been done to enable them to up the max HP rating from 60 to 75 - suggesting the extra weight required more tube to be in contact with the water to accommodate this. I suspect the Valiant tube length is for the same reason.

The result is that the deck space on the Generation 450 is no greater than on my 430, and as mine will reach 37mph with a 50hp Honda on the back I can't imagine why anyone would want an additional 50% power (and probably another 25kgs on the transom).

My point is, with your other thread stating that you're looking for a 4.5 - 5.5m RIB, you may find the Valiant (if it has a similar tube length) may not be as spacious as some other RIBs of that length.
Old 09 July 2014, 06:51   #3

Town: Gas station
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 60 HP
hi I suspected that to be the case, comparing internal pictures of the valiant against rib-x you seem to get a lot more internal space with the Rib-x. Is the V450 with a mercury 60hp four stroke likely to be stern heavy with a small family of 4? or was this resolved with the 2010 model?
Old 09 July 2014, 06:56   #4
NSS

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsports1 View Post
hi I suspected that to be the case, comparing internal pictures of the valiant against rib-x you seem to get a lot more internal space with the Rib-x. Is the V450 with a mercury 60hp four stroke likely to be stern heavy with a small family of 4? or was this resolved with the 2010 model?
Sorry, no idea.
Old 10 July 2014, 20:14   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Its the engine that makes a boat stern heavy usually. How heavy or how old is the lump
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote