Old 24 January 2003, 20:16   #1

Town: Duesseldorf
Valiant Patrol 650

Hi,

at the Duesseldorf boatshow there is a really nice Valiant Patrol 650 with a Mercury Optimax 200hp.

Is it a good boat for going offshore?
Is there anyone owning this type of rib or knowing someone with that kind of vessel?
I´m really interested in reading the pros and cons.

Would you prefer a Ribcraft 5.85 instead?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Ruediger
Old 24 January 2003, 20:54   #2

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Hello Killergnu - welcome to the forum.
Nice ribs the Valiants, competitively priced too. What exactly would you want to do with it? When you say'offshore', do you want to cruise long distances? Have you got much rib experience?
Picture attached.
Old 24 January 2003, 21:05   #3

Town: Loch Lurgain
Boat name: an t-easnach
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 50
a friend of mine has one, driven by 2 honda 90s. out on west coast a lot and has nothing but praise for it. due to euro/sterling situation a lot of valiants are sold in ireland and from what i can gather, although they may not be a "purist's" deep-v rib, they are rugged, reliable, solid, easy-to-repair, longlasting and value-for-money. Mass-produced in portugal, in car terms perhaps a golf or audi.
Old 24 January 2003, 21:14   #4

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
I think the "Patrol" series are a deep vee - not like the rest of the range. I did my training in a DR600 which seemed to handle well, even though it's only a medium-vee hull. The tubes move a bit, though! Possibly because they have a different attachment method as they're not hypalon - PVC I think.
Old 24 January 2003, 21:27   #5

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Met a couple of guys in Alderney last year who had the Valiant 750 with twin Mariner Opti's - excellent bit of kit, but alas the engine mounts all broke in Round Ireland. The Patrol range is indeed Deep V and sponsons material is composed of a base fabric of high tenacity trevira, internally and externally coated with two coats of vinyl and with an outer coat of acrylic finish.
they reckon its stronger than hypalon?
Old 25 January 2003, 10:07   #6

Town: London
I have a Valiant V570 with Mercury 115 hp 4 Stroke and love it.

Whilst not a particularly deep V is planes very easily and comes with a lot of kit as standard (under deck fuel etc) which would be optional extras on a a Ribcraft/Ribtec etc.

Not sure if I'd go the Channel Islands in it but have done many miles along the south coast without too much incident.

Nigel

www.arctic2003.com
Old 25 January 2003, 16:11   #7

Town: Duesseldorf
Hi,

thanks to all of you for your interesting and quick info!

Ruediger
Old 25 January 2003, 16:31   #8

Town: cambridge
Make: Valiant DR600
Length: Six
Engine: Merc 4 st. EFI 115hp
A 650 Patrol is deeper vee than than the 600 series (mine) and the 200hp engine would be spot on. My 115 is'nt fast enough.
Because Valiant are part of the same group as Mercury (Brunswick corporation) you should get a really good deal. You get a lot of boat for the money, and overall I am delighted with mine, bought at the Barcelona boat show. However if you are dealing direct with the factory in Portugal as I did, be sure to get every single item in the spec agreed in writing.
Old 26 January 2003, 16:29   #9

Town: HERNE BAY
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
I have a dr600 and have been very happy with it , only the quality of minor parts (easily ) rectified let it down.
I have a 150 merc optimax and got a very good deal with it and having looked at the ribcraft myself I went for the valiant on the basis of the package offered and the interior fit out which seemed a bit more "finished".
Performance has been excellent and so has the fuel consumption I would say it is DEFINATELY worth the extra dosh for the optimax , if you can get a try of one of them. My fuel consumption is 3-4 gals an hour 18.2 litres ( current average) includes some serious running in offshore waters. email me if you want any info but mercury and mariner do 200s.
The consoles etc are good however if you go offshore opt for a wide screened one as it really is wide enough to hide 2 behind and has very good grab rails etc.
I had a good look at the patrol and was impressed with it , the hull on mine has so far coped with lots of rough water so with the deeper V I can only imagine it will be better.