Old 30 October 2001, 20:10   #1

Length: no boat
Valiant ovners, users and other experts

I'm looking for info about the Valiant RIBs.

Any experience about the tube material, compared for example with the hypalon and Zodiac type PVC.

Overall quality is also one thing I'd like to get some opinions. Valiants are quite moderately priced and there is always (almost) the fact that quality goes hand in hand with the price.

Another more common question.

I'm thinking to change my Zodiac inflatable to the same size small RIB (around 3.8 m). Zodiac has a pretty flat hull and even it has an inflatable keel the ride gets really rough when waves gets bigger. I'd like to know that does the rigid hull give any real advantage with these small boats.
After all the V-angle can't be very deep but sure it's deeper than in my Zodiac.

For Keith:

I'm still going to keep on doing with the small boats. Just looking for a bit softer ride!

Jari
Old 01 November 2001, 18:57   #2

Town: Bangor
Make: Shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: O/b 225
Most of the Valiants (apart from the big commercial ones) are available with either Hypalon or Polyurethane tubes (a bit dearer). Hypalon gets dirty easy but has a good long life, is quite difficlut to puncture and is very easy to fix. The Polyurethane tubes are very similar to the PVC as used by Zodiac, but it stays clean and keeps its colour much better. It is supposed to be harder to puncture than PVC, BUT it is VERY hard to fix (special glue etc.) and the seams give lots of trouble when it gets a few years old, particularly if left out in the sun too much.
Old 01 November 2001, 23:03   #3

Town: Dublin & Kerry
Boat name: Limanda
Make: Arvor & Valiant
Length: 6m +
Engine: IB 85hp dsl; 8hp Yam
Valiant are part of the Brunswick Corp (Mercury, Mariner, Sea Ray, bayliner etc) and only make RIBS. Mass production not only standardises quality but can also help to keep prices down.

The standard Valiant models have PVC tubes, mainly because this material can be thermowelded. Smaller manufacturers use Hypalon because it can be glued.

The small Valiants (<4m) have a single skin hull which makes them less expensive than their competitors. They are sturdy, well-built craft, and will perform better in rough conditions and cross-winds than your inflatable. Quality is good and they offer excellent value for money.

If you go to 4m+ Valiant models still compare very favourably with Zodiac etc.

Mike
Old 02 November 2001, 10:10   #4

Than you, Alan and Michael

your replies gave good info. Something like that I allready had in my mind about Valiants. Today I'll make a visit to the local dealer to see what they can offer.

thanks!

Jari
Old 02 November 2001, 13:20   #5

Town: Lisbon
Boat name: fliper
Make: SACS (Italy)
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 50HP, outboard
Hi!

From Valiant UK distributor
http://www.ibs-boats.co.uk
there are two types of materials used:

"The material is composed of a base fabric of HIGH TENACITY TREVIRA, internally and externally coated with two coats of vinyl and with an outer coat of acrylic finish which reinforces the resistance to environmental agents, ageing and dirt, making cleaning easier", for sport series

and

"AKRON TPE of High Resistance to Abrasion has been developed to be used in professional", for professional series

I did not see any reference to "hypalon". Is one of the above, with other name?

Bye
Pedro
Old 03 November 2001, 16:55   #6

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Hi Jari,

I hope you're not going soft in your old age! Or perhaps you are running out of puff !!!

Keith (SIBS*) Hart

* Small Inflatable Boat Section
Old 07 November 2001, 21:44   #7

Town: Dublin & Kerry
Boat name: Limanda
Make: Arvor & Valiant
Engine: IB 85hp dsl; 8hp Yam
Reply to Pedro:

The Trevira covered with two layers of vinyl is the PVC! The Akron TPE is a heavy duty material, but as far as I know its not Hypalon.

Mike
Old 08 November 2001, 08:34   #8

Thanks Mike.

Alan, you said "Most of the Valiants (apart from the big commercial ones) are available with either Hypalon or Polyurethane tubes (a bit dearer)"... , what are valiant models with Hypalon tubes?

Is polyurethane a kind of PVC?

bye
Pedro
Old 21 November 2001, 00:36   #9

Town: Loch Lurgain
Boat name: an t-easnach
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 50
well jari i realise i'm a bit late but i've had no problems with valiant. we fixed a hole with the repair kit. it took no time and has held fast. only had it for a season but my view is they make sturdy solid ribs
Old 21 November 2001, 08:43   #10

gaelforce,

What model is your valiant?

Thanks in advance
Pedro
Old 21 November 2001, 16:21   #11

Gaelforce

It's never too late. We have now lakes covered by ice and I have my boat stored for the winter.
So, next time out with the boat (Zodiac or Valiant) will be the spring 02.

Jari
Old 22 November 2001, 08:51   #12

Jari,

What is the valiant you are looking for ? (just to know , because I am also thinking to buy a rib, among valiant - very good prices, zodiac, or even narwhal - hd520 seems a very nice rib).

About valiant I do not like the poor choice in acessories for 5m ribs. (For the 4.90m, for example, we do not have the option to purchase a roll bar, or a jockey seat - only the jockey console, and the consoles do not have tubes to put the hands - for me the best valiant console is the PT6, that is only for +6m ribs! ).

Please tell me what are your thoughts about valiant / zodiacs.

(I am thinking in valiant v490 / dr490 with jockey s4 + seat s5, or narwhal hd520 with medium console with front seat + bench seat, or a zodiac pro2 5m)

bye
pedro
Old 24 November 2001, 17:49   #13

Town: Loch Lurgain
Boat name: an t-easnach
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 50
hi pedro - we (there are 3 of us) bought a v520 second hand. we're new to ribs, we use for skiing, fishing, messing about. a suzuki 70 4hp seems to do the business very well
Old 03 December 2001, 19:42   #14

Hi Pedro

I'll stay with the small boats at the moment and the V400 would be the best choise from Valiant.
What you said about the seats and the consoles was true. Have you thought about some other consoles that could be installed insted of those from Valiant.

Sorry about the delay for the answer, couldn't get into net for a while.

Jari
Old 20 March 2002, 10:16   #15

An old issue, without answer...

Now I understand the material used by Valiant (after asked them, of course ):

Vanguard ("High tenacity trevira..."): PVC

AKRON TPE: Polyurethane

bye
pedro

Quote:
Originally posted by baixamar
Hi!

From Valiant UK distributor
http://www.ibs-boats.co.uk
there are two types of materials used:

"The material is composed of a base fabric of HIGH TENACITY TREVIRA, internally and externally coated with two coats of vinyl and with an outer coat of acrylic finish which reinforces the resistance to environmental agents, ageing and dirt, making cleaning easier", for sport series

and

"AKRON TPE of High Resistance to Abrasion has been developed to be used in professional", for professional series

I did not see any reference to "hypalon". Is one of the above, with other name?

Bye
Pedro
Old 11 December 2007, 06:11   #16

Make: valiant
Engine: inboard diesel
Lettering on Valiant PT 6.50

I own a valiant pt 6.50 with an inboard diesel with black tubes.can anybody help me how and what to use for lettering the sides of the tubesI want to put the name of my website on the tubes.I need the rib for my work as a photographer.I asked valiant dealer but no reply I asked valiant aftersales person marc Leribaux but he does not call back.....can anybody help me?What type of glue do I need Are their special stickers wich you can aply?
I have seen ribs with lots of sponsornames on it but these ribs where not made out of Akron TPE.
Old 11 December 2007, 07:47   #17

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Ton, I have just been looking for the same idea and came across these guys in Lymington. Took a chance and ordered on line and suprised that they were delivered in 48 hrs Did like playing around with the web site and the different styles etc.

What we got was a clear sticky back vinyl with the letters on which just requires sticking on. For the price if in two years it looks a little worn then they are cheap enough to replace, and not so permanent that you can't get them off again.

http://www.funkymonkeyboatnames.co.uk/index.php

Pete
Old 11 December 2007, 22:13   #18

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by baixamar View Post
Jari,

What is the valiant you are looking for ? (just to know , because I am also thinking to buy a rib, among valiant - very good prices, zodiac, or even narwhal - hd520 seems a very nice rib).

About valiant I do not like the poor choice in acessories for 5m ribs. (For the 4.90m, for example, we do not have the option to purchase a roll bar, or a jockey seat - only the jockey console, and the consoles do not have tubes to put the hands - for me the best valiant console is the PT6, that is only for +6m ribs! ).

Please tell me what are your thoughts about valiant / zodiacs.

(I am thinking in valiant v490 / dr490 with jockey s4 + seat s5, or narwhal hd520 with medium console with front seat + bench seat, or a zodiac pro2 5m)

bye
pedro

Hi Pedro
I have just sold my 490 valiant . It was a 2001 boat and had aged very well .

My feelings were that it had a good waterline length for its size and it seemed to be a pretty dry ride even compared to some bigger ribs .
The anchor locker and cleat on the bow were very useful
At rest it was very stable and the tubes low enough to make climbing back in possible
Plenty of ropes and handholds are standard which makes it good for passengers sat on tubes .
Its a medium v and not bad in the lumpy stuff but something like a humber ribcraft or searider of similar size or just a bit bigger seemed to get along much better .
The valiant corners very flat at medium higher speed so I felt a little was lost in the higher speed handling
I had a df 70 suzuki on mine which was a great engine but i would liked to have tried a lighter motor if I had the choice . I feel it may have performed better with less power and wieght . Top speed was 38mph with 2 people on board and best cruising 28mph

The A frame I had was a simple bolt in job that valiant sell .

Certainly no worries with the pvc but it is harder to glue . I had to re stick the corner of a ware patch , but i got there ok in the end . Compared to my pvc tubed zodiac the valiant pvc doesn't mark as easy and stays looking cleaner and iseasier to clean . However the zodiac tubes looked better made

In all they are good value for money in the same way a ford car probably is . It aint built for heavy use but good enough for pleasure ,
and for the extra few quid the 520 would probably be worth looking at