Old 25 October 2015, 20:00   #1

Length: 5m +
Valiant DR490

I have found a tidy Valiant DR490 and am interested in buying it however I am concerned that the boat may not be as good in the sea as I would like.

I have previously owned a Humber Assult which was a good boat but with its relatively flat hull profile it tended to slam and crash in sloppy/choppy water. I live in West Kirby by the Dee estuary which is very tidal and shallow. When the tide flows particularly with wind against tide a short steep chop rises. It was in such conditions the Humber Assult was not good. Admittedly any smaller boat will find choppy waters more difficult but some are better than others.

I have had mixed report about the Valiant DR490 some positive others negative so would appreciate anyone sharing their experience with these boats particularly comparing to other well know makes.
Old 27 October 2015, 15:42   #2

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
I have a Valiant DR 490. I have found it to be a good boat. I would have limited experance of other ribs. I have substantially re-built mine as it was too light on the bow. I have been out with other ribs and it was able to keep up no bother.

TSM
Old 27 October 2015, 16:36   #3

Length: 5m +
Thanks for your reply.
Your comment leads me to wonder if you find the hull/bow tends to slam in choppy sea?

With regard to keeping up with other boats I think that is more a matter of weight and engine power. The question is can you keep up without it being like riding a bucking bronco ??
Old 27 October 2015, 17:16   #4

RIBase
The boat slams but in my limited experance all small ribs slam and some of the larger ones when used of the west coast of ireland . I have reto fitted my with a suspension seat and moved the weight to the bow.
Old 27 October 2015, 17:22   #5

RIBase
Attached is a photo from last August on a blowy day in Clew Bay. The near rib was a SR 5.4 and the next rib is a DR 4.9. As you can see the SR rode higher out of the water than the DR. Speed was circa 20-25 kn. As everyone here will tell you the best boat at this size is a SR 4.7 (hard to get)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SR and DR.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	109425  
Old 27 October 2015, 19:34   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
Attached is a photo from last August on a blowy day in Clew Bay. The near rib was a SR 5.4 and the next rib is a DR 4.9. As you can see the SR rode higher out of the water than the DR. Speed was circa 20-25 kn. As everyone here will tell you the best boat at this size is a SR 4.7 (hard to get)
A lot of those people have never been on a SR4.7 and certainly haven't tried everything between 4.5 and 5.5m. Two things confuse me if that claim is really true (a) why were more not Made/sold in the first place (b) why has nobody essentially copied the key features that make it so good? the RC fanboys will tell you a Ribcraft 4.8 is hard to beat.

Interestingly Bigmuz raved about his valiant even claiming it was better than much bigger boats he had owned.
Old 28 October 2015, 09:07   #7

RIBase
Small ribs that slam

Attached is a link to small ribs that slam. It may be of interest. With respect to HP been the only requirement to keep up with other ribs, I believe that this statement is inaccurate as you have to be able to control the boat to use the hP.

http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/ribs-that-slam-55823.html
Old 28 October 2015, 10:00   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
With respect to HP been the only requirement to keep up with other ribs, I believe that this statement is inaccurate as you have to be able to control the boat to use the hP.
Yip and if you fly off the top of every wave land even with gentle slamming then you'll soon fatigue so you can't keep up. HP and weight are not the only factors in overall speed anyway (hull shape and even length matter too) but probably the biggest issue is the skill of the helm.