Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 17 July 2010, 15:06   #1
Member
 
actions's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 653
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
Hello,

I'm after some advice if posisble. I currently own a 2003 30hp Mercury SS 2s outboard and am looking at getting a Valiant D380 (2008 model). However this model is only rated for a 25hp. In terms of transom weight it can take 55kgs and the mercury weighs 51kgs, so its ok in that respect, but would be grateful if anyone could let me know on the 5hp difference.

Also if you have any reviews on the D380 i would appreciate that too.

Many thanks

Matt.

sorry just seen i've put this on wrong post. will try and change.

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a Valiant D380 2008 model at £1995. Are these any good for use as a recreational rib. The main reason for looking at this is price. It will be used off the Kent coast. Have tried searching for reviews with no luck.

Many thanks

Matt.
__________________

__________________
actions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2010, 16:06   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,628
Bit small. This is more tender size than something you can use in anger. For that sort of price I would be look (and sounding like a scratched record) for a 4m Searider. Plenty about and you can get a nice one for £2k if you look around. Far more seaworthy and capable.
__________________

__________________
Avon Searider club on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/246399125778848/
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2010, 16:11   #3
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,009
There are two schools of thought:

(1) 5HP is 20%, which is not insignificant, and although unlikely to cause massive transom issues might make the handling horrible. Your insurance company may not be happy and may refuse to pay out because you've exceeded the spec of the boat. Any warranty on the hull (pronbably none now?) will be void. If you have an accidnet the MAIB will laugh and point the finger (even if it wasn't your fault and had nothing to do with the engine/transom).

(2) You'll be fine. Weight is more likely to damage the transom than 5HP, and you are fine for weight. If you shop around you'll find an insurer who will be happy to accept it for little or no extra cost.

If you search the forum for words like "overpowered" and "transom rating" you should find various discussions of similar issues in the past.

If you do decide to go for it, make sure you get the OK in writing from your insurer and take it easy to start with. Gut feel is it would be OK. My 3.9m boat is rated to 30HP, although you probably wouldn't want to go beyond that, but in some conditions the handling could be lively! Personally I'd rather have a 20HP with PTT (sadly I don't) than upgrade to a 30 without.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2010, 16:22   #4
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Bit small. This is more tender size than something you can use in anger. For that sort of price I would be look (and sounding like a scratched record) for a 4m Searider. Plenty about and you can get a nice one for £2k if you look around. Far more seaworthy and capable.
Tim's point is valid - but you'll get a much older SR4 for that money than the D380 you are looking at. However the size difference between 3.8 and 4m is probably not significant. As a first boat for a beginner I'm not convinced that a SR4 is necessarily everyone's ideal boat (a contravertial suggestion round here). If you are not planning to go out in unpleasant conditions do you need the slightly better hull?

The one comment I would make is does the D380 have bench or jockey seats? A jockey will definitely be better for travelling and distance in bouncy stuff - but Mrs P is convinced that our bench configuration is better for containing a 2 yr old.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2010, 16:28   #5
Member
 
actions's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 653
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
Jockey Console.

Thanks for the replies so far. We would have a jockey console fitted (two person).

The Valiant is being sold as new by a dealer who has some stock left so would be registered as sold in 2010.

I will have a look around at some seariders too then but am a little concerned they may be a bit too old?

Thanks, matt.
__________________
actions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2010, 16:35   #6
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,820
RIBase
Define 'a bit too old'?
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2010, 16:47   #7
Member
 
actions's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 653
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
??

"Bit too old"

My concern is that i will buy one that will fall apart or be rotten, where as the new one will be under warranty.

Dont get me wrong, i wouldnt care if its 20 years old if its sound, but dont want to get bitten if you know what i mean.
__________________
actions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2010, 16:48   #8
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,009
what are you planning to do with it? there's big difference between beach hopping in really nice weather for a BBQ and wave hopping in a F5 for Fun!

the valiant could be a good deal, but bear in mind that extras like a trailer, the seats (if not included) and rigging/wiring an engine can rack up the costs quickly. Also worth considering that whilst registerred in 2010 (so overpowering will cause you a warranty concern) the tubes are already 2 yrs old - albeit presumably it has been stored inside - still their not hypalon so are possibly a real bit closer to the end of their useful life.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2010, 16:54   #9
Member
 
actions's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 653
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
I already have a jockey console, rigging and a fairly decent trailer and engine. Just missing a boat at the moment.

If i'm honest i prefer the wave jumping and having fun, well unitl the wife comes out and its more sedate.

Therefore i reckon you will say the searider is the best option, however i have a SS engine, so would think i need to get a LS engine too?

I take your point on the tubes, didnt think of that.
__________________
actions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2010, 17:05   #10
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,820
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by actions View Post
I already have a jockey console, rigging and a fairly decent trailer and engine. Just missing a boat at the moment.

If i'm honest i prefer the wave jumping and having fun, well unitl the wife comes out and its more sedate.

Therefore i reckon you will say the searider is the best option, however i have a SS engine, so would think i need to get a LS engine too?

I take your point on the tubes, didnt think of that.
Yes, you'd need a long shaft. I really wouldn't cut down the transom on an SR4.

I reckon a Searider is the best option given what you want to do with it.


Nice one here, though a bit overpriced.

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/DBO143
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2010, 17:09   #11
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by actions View Post
If i'm honest i prefer the wave jumping and having fun, well unitl the wife comes out and its more sedate.Therefore i reckon you will say the searider is the best option, however i have a SS engine, so would think i need to get a LS engine too?
I'm not sure if SR4s are available with SS transoms, or can sensibly be cut down - but the "wave jumping and having fun" SR owners would suggest 40-50HP is the best...
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2010, 01:43   #12
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,820
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I'm not sure if SR4s are available with SS transoms, or can sensibly be cut down
Not really a good idea to cut one down as they are quite close to the waterline at rest with the flooding hull open.They aren't available with a short shaft transom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
but the "wave jumping and having fun" SR owners would suggest 40-50HP is the best...
I'd suggest a 50hp carbed 2 stroke with power trim is the 'best' if you're going to be an adrenaline junky with it. You'll soon find yourself playing in seas where the extra 10hp+power trim is a definite advantage.

Some footage of Gibbo's SR4 here (the one with the white console).
[YOUTUBE]pWHIUCgBOb8[/YOUTUBE]
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2010, 02:55   #13
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Not really a good idea to cut one down as they are quite close to the waterline at rest with the flooding hull open.They aren't available with a short shaft transom.
yeah I "cross posted" with you - I knew that you or rainman dai would have a definitive answer.
Quote:
I'd suggest a 50hp carbed 2 stroke with power trim is the 'best' if you're going to be an adrenaline junky with it. You'll soon find yourself playing in seas where the extra 10hp+power trim is a definite advantage.
Aye, so his 30HP he has kicking about, is going to be the wrong engine if thats the type of use he's imagining.

You're link certainly highlights the potential alternaitve (and he'd be able to make the difference by ebaying the 30HP 2/, trailer and console he already has). Its certainly an option. It will depend how much of the time he thinks Mrs A will let him use it for the "adrenelin" use he thinks he is buying it for versus the "leisurely cruising" use she prefers! I had a similar dilema 4 yrs ago and opted for the brand new boat and engine choice, because I'd previously owned an older wooden boat and got fed up spending more time fixing, repairing and painting it than using it. It was also much easier to convince Mrs P that a "RIB" was the way to go on the basis that a new one would be more reliable and require less tlc time.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2010, 03:21   #14
Member
 
actions's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 653
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
Thanks

Thanks for the link. Its about a 6 hour jouney each way to go down there so i will keep my eyes peeled for what else comes up.

I think an SR4 is the way to go for having more fun on the water.

Now to sell my engine. Any ideas what a 2003 Mecrury SS 30 HP with remotes is worth?

Matt.
__________________
actions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2010, 03:24   #15
Member
 
actions's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 653
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
Thanks for all the answers on this. Really do appreciate it.
__________________
actions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2010, 04:02   #16
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,820
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by actions View Post
Thanks for the link. Its about a 6 hour jouney each way to go down there so i will keep my eyes peeled for what else comes up.

I think an SR4 is the way to go for having more fun on the water.

Now to sell my engine. Any ideas what a 2003 Mecrury SS 30 HP with remotes is worth?

Matt.
Trust me on this.

A 6 hour drive for a good boat is well worth it compared with weeks searching for one close by. Good 4m seariders are hard to come by without travelling.

However, I'd be asking if someone on here was local to it and could have a quick look 1st
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2010, 04:09   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
However, I'd be asking if someone on here was local to it and could have a quick look 1st
Cookee or Gibbo.
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2010, 04:16   #18
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,820
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post

You're link certainly highlights the potential alternaitve (and he'd be able to make the difference by ebaying the 30HP 2/, trailer and console he already has). Its certainly an option. It will depend how much of the time he thinks Mrs A will let him use it for the "adrenelin" use he thinks he is buying it for versus the "leisurely cruising" use she prefers! I had a similar dilema 4 yrs ago and opted for the brand new boat and engine choice, because I'd previously owned an older wooden boat and got fed up spending more time fixing, repairing and painting it than using it. It was also much easier to convince Mrs P that a "RIB" was the way to go on the basis that a new one would be more reliable and require less tlc time.


Thing is, a PTT 50hp will do leisurely cruising as well, at lower RPM, plus being a better thing to have on the back IF you misjudge the weather and have to go home in rough seas.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2010, 04:21   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post


Thing is, a PTT 50hp will do leisurely cruising as well, at lower RPM, plus being a better thing to have on the back IF you misjudge the weather and have to go home in rough seas.
Agreed. A 50 at half throttle may even burn less fuel and be quieter than a 30 near WOT.
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2010, 06:08   #20
Member
 
actions's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 653
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Trust me on this.

A 6 hour drive for a good boat is well worth it compared with weeks searching for one close by. Good 4m seariders are hard to come by without travelling.

However, I'd be asking if someone on here was local to it and could have a quick look 1st
Having spoken to the wife we were thinking along these lines that a 6 hours drive would be worth it to find a good one. Who is best to approach to come and have a look with me, or look before hand if they are local to Devon?.

THanks
__________________

__________________
actions is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×