Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 17 July 2011, 17:10   #1
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Cork
Boat name: na
Make: valiant
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50hpOutboard
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5
Valiant 450

Hi all
Im new to this game.
Recently purchased a 2004 valiant 450 +50hp mercury 2 stroke. Both appear to be in very good condition.
Always my ambition to own a rib for cruising in shore. Anybody got any views on this boat and engine. Have gone out a couple of times but being very careful until I get used to the boat. Any ideas on fuel consumption and reliability of this package.

cheers
__________________

__________________
Gerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2011, 17:28   #2
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,772
RIBase
Hi Gerry, welcome to RIBnet.

That should be a well matched combo. Two Stroke Mick in Castlebar runs a slightly bigger version and speaks well of it, but he's not Merc powered. Have a nosy round the forum and use the search facility. I'd guess about 0.6L/Nm if you don't plant her.

There's a lot of very useful information on here,

...and then there's mine
__________________

__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2011, 13:14   #3
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Cork
Boat name: na
Make: valiant
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50hpOutboard
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Hi Gerry, welcome to RIBnet.

That should be a well matched combo. Two Stroke Mick in Castlebar runs a slightly bigger version and speaks well of it, but he's not Merc powered. Have a nosy round the forum and use the search facility. I'd guess about 0.6L/Nm if you don't plant her.

There's a lot of very useful information on here,

...and then there's mine
Thanks Willk.

Tried it a few times in the last two weeks its going well. rises quiet high in the front before it planes, and can be a bit worrying at times.
Prob should put a bit of weight on fromt

Cheers
__________________
Gerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 03:23   #4
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,330
RIBase
Hi Gerry

Make sure your engine is well trimmed in. I also have a substantial amount of lead in the anchor locker .
__________________
two stroke mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 16:10   #5
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Cork
Boat name: na
Make: valiant
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50hpOutboard
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5
Thanks for that Mick
What sort of weight (amount) are you talking about? How would a couple of sandbags work. Is trimming about trial and error before you get it right.

Cheers
__________________
Gerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2011, 03:49   #6
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,330
RIBase
Keep the engine fully trimmed in untill you are on the plane. Then trim out the engine slowly untill the steering become light. If in a head sea keep the engine trimmed in. if in a following sea keep the engine trimmed out. I am of the opinion that these boats excel in a following sea

I have approx 35 kg of lead in the bow locker. the preasone for the lead is to give the boat more forward momentum when in a head sea not to keep the bow down when getting off the plane.
__________________
two stroke mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2011, 17:34   #7
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Cork
Boat name: na
Make: valiant
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50hpOutboard
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5
Thanks mick.
Because of our bad summer i didnt have a chance to try it yet. I have got bout 20kgs of lead ready to put into the bow storage space. Il play around with weight after that for the best result.
Trial and error I spose.

thanks
__________________
Gerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2011, 02:19   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,693
Dole fins will help get it sitting more even too without adding the weight and it will make a saving on fuel too

Worth a consideration ?

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
__________________
Boats&Outboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2011, 14:05   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Dole fins will help get it sitting more even too without adding the weight and it will make a saving on fuel too

Worth a consideration ?

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Seconded ... I got them and it helped a huge amount on my 4m RIB with a 50 on the back.
__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2011, 14:56   #10
Member
 
longjohn's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Seconded ... I got them and it helped a huge amount on my 4m RIB with a 50 on the back.
This made a huge positive difference to mine and with the added benefit of not having to drill the anti-cav plate.

StingRay Stealth | Stingray Hydrofoils by Marine Dynamics - The World's Best Hydrofoil Stabilizers
__________________
longjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 17:25   #11
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Cork
Boat name: na
Make: valiant
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50hpOutboard
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5
Thanks everybody for the advice.

Havnt gone into the water since. Is it a big job fitting doel fins.

Cheers

Gerryc
__________________
Gerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 17:29   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,693
Drill 4 holes and tighten 4 bolts. Or you can buy the "no drill" options if you've got money to burn!

Simples

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
__________________
Boats&Outboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2011, 02:49   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Truro
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards
Drill 4 holes and tighten 4 bolts. Or you can buy the "no drill" options if you've got money to burn!

Simples

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Or dont want to drill holes through your nice new engine!
__________________
Devonmark35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2011, 03:16   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonmark35

Or dont want to drill holes through your nice new engine!
That's like saying you don't want to get the prop wet incase it gets damaged!!!

At the end of the day it's now almost 10 years old, if it's not working right for me I'd butcher it completely to get the best out of it. 4 8mm holes is not going to write the motor off is it!

If it was brand new I'd reconsider but if you give the option of paying £15/£20 or almost £100 to do the same thing I'm pretty sure most will take the first option


Up to you though

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
__________________
Boats&Outboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2011, 08:42   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Truro
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 98
No not really! Given some on here have posted in the past as to compromising structural strengths and witnessing cracks after drilling etc and getting a prop wet is a bit silly!

Fine its down to choice and agreed his engine may be old to you but its probably his pride and joy and he may (as others do) feel spending a bit extra on a no drill option is not "burning money"!
__________________
Devonmark35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2011, 09:07   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonmark35
No not really! Given some on here have posted in the past as to compromising structural strengths and witnessing cracks after drilling etc and getting a prop wet is a bit silly!

Fine its down to choice and agreed his engine may be old to you but its probably his pride and joy and he may (as others do) feel spending a bit extra on a no drill option is not "burning money"!
I don't think it's old by any means. I just made that point in reply to your suggestion he won't want to drill through a "new" motor. My point being it's the owners choice. Spend over-inflated, silly money for a no hole option or drill 4 holes... Either way makes no difference to the structural strength of the fins.

A properly fitted fin will not cause any issues on a 50hp. Maybe on a 100+ but that's not what they are designed for. Trim tabs are!!!

Anyway let's not get into a debate. He has the options and will make the right choice for him based on cost and appearance.

Let us know what you decide.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
__________________
Boats&Outboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2011, 09:40   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Truro
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
I don't think it's old by any means. I just made that point in reply to your suggestion he won't want to drill through a "new" motor. My point being it's the owners choice. Spend over-inflated, silly money for a no hole option or drill 4 holes... Either way makes no difference to the structural strength of the fins.

A properly fitted fin will not cause any issues on a 50hp. Maybe on a 100+ but that's not what they are designed for. Trim tabs are!!!

Anyway let's not get into a debate. He has the options and will make the right choice for him based on cost and appearance.

Let us know what you decide.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
As the OP said he has just brought it and he is new to this world - so in that case its "new" to him - and as he asking questions at this stage about trying to cure a bow up attitude then telling him one option (no drill version) is "burning money" then saying its down to owners choice is rather steering him down one direction would you not agree - that being get a drill out and start drilling through his "new" motor (again new to him)!

Its not "burning money" if he decides not to put holes in his outboard at all. As you say though - "lets not get into a debate"

Let him decide fine - but he asked for ways around his high bow issue - the non drill option works just as well as the drill version but with no holes in the leg which helps if he decides its not for him or he sells it later on - not really "burning money"
__________________
Devonmark35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2011, 15:11   #18
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Rosas
Boat name: Conqueror
Make: Valiant
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 150hp Merc
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 549
Send a message via Skype™ to Courageous
"Sells it later on" Simples also, 4 dobs of filler and a lick of paint - sell it on!
__________________

__________________
Courageous is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×