Old 19 March 2018, 15:04   #1

Town: Epsom
Length: 7m +
USED HIGHFIELD RIBs

Have been looking at the RIB boat market for a boat of 5.4-6.3m for sometime now. Have looked out for Humber, Ribcraft, Zodiac and a few others but few boats come to the market unless they are old and heavily used. Not surprised, if you've got a good boat why would you want to sell it? The one brand that bucks this trend is Highfield. There are currently around six used boats that are three years old or less with low usage. So my question is why is this with Highfield? What make owners want to sell after three years? Any thoughts gratefully received.
Old 19 March 2018, 15:16   #2

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
maybe they are falling apart but as likely some buy them as a cheap "first" rib to see if they like ribbing or use them enough to justify the purchase and either upgrade or sell thru lack of use. Just keep looking I guess as the weather warms more ribs will appear.
Old 19 March 2018, 20:33   #3

Town: WARSAW
Boat name: T1
Make: HIGHFIELD OM540DL
Length: 5m +
Engine: EVINRUDE 115 HO
MMSI: 261026640
Within few months I saw some RIbcrafts 3 y old for sale, Ribeye, other brands.
Why to look for reason only for 1 brand ?

If bigger RIB be in my towing range maybe change also.
Old 19 March 2018, 21:09   #4

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
I have 5 metre highfield and if i wanted to upgrade i reckon even after constant knocking on this forum i may well go bigger same brand ,after all said and done you are buying an engine ,a trailer a bunch of electronics ,all the same as any other brand ,only the tubes are pvc (guaranteed 6 years in leisure ) and if they fall to bits after that ,then its 5k to man in shed for new hypalon ,why would anybody want to pay good money for a load of soggy plywood and a dodgy fuel tank full of water ,when at 3 years old theres probhably 3 years engine warranty and 3 years tube warranty to be had ,the seat on mine are all marine vynl with nylon zipped cushions ,closed cell foam and polythene wrapped
i think the reason there are a few for sale is that price levels allow lots of people to come in at entry level , maybe a bigger boat than they could otherwise afford ,there is very little deterioration after a couple of years so they tend to still look like new so are very saleable ,the other reason of course is the number that have been sold because of the good value for money ,some of the english sellers are still trying to sell boats they made for display at 2016 exibitions on ebay a year or so on
also in their favour is currency has changed and i reckon for some ther is even a profit in some 2014 /15 chinese ribs
Old 20 March 2018, 14:29   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
I have 5 metre highfield and if i wanted to upgrade i reckon even after constant knocking on this forum i may well go bigger same brand ,after all said and done you are buying an engine ,a trailer a bunch of electronics ,all the same as any other brand ,only the tubes are pvc (guaranteed 6 years in leisure ) and if they fall to bits after that ,then its 5k to man in shed for new hypalon ,why would anybody want to pay good money for a load of soggy plywood and a dodgy fuel tank full of water ,when at 3 years old theres probhably 3 years engine warranty and 3 years tube warranty to be had ,the seat on mine are all marine vynl with nylon zipped cushions ,closed cell foam and polythene wrapped
i think the reason there are a few for sale is that price levels allow lots of people to come in at entry level , maybe a bigger boat than they could otherwise afford ,there is very little deterioration after a couple of years so they tend to still look like new so are very saleable ,the other reason of course is the number that have been sold because of the good value for money ,some of the english sellers are still trying to sell boats they made for display at 2016 exibitions on ebay a year or so on
also in their favour is currency has changed and i reckon for some ther is even a profit in some 2014 /15 chinese ribs

Good to hear you're a satisfied Highfield owner.
Don't have a problem with Highfield's origin of manufacture as it's under European management and design. They look to be robustly made. The PVC tubes might not be as long lasting but all tubes eventually need replacing. Apparently they hold air better having welded seams. My only criticism is the bow looks somewhat lower than Humber ribs. All the boats available at present are with brokers so the price is going to be higher. I'm working on 20% depreciation in first year followed by 10% subsequent years. So a fully rigged 590OM DL ~£34k should be ~£22k after three years.
Old 20 March 2018, 16:14   #6

Town: Torquay
Boat name: Yonderland
Make: Highfield
Engine: Honda BF100
MMSI: 232009539
You've asked a really good question. I was dubious at first but I bit the bullet and bought a 2-year old Highfield OM590 last year. I love it! The hull is very tough and its rigidity is appreciated in big seas (well, big for a RIB anyway!). I haven't had to add air to the PVC tubes yet and it feels to be a wide and stable platform. If I had any gripes, it would be the Honda BF100 feels a little underpowered at times...although to be fair that's usually when there are 6 - 9 people on board so perhaps it's not that surprising.
Another thing I have realised, obvious I suppose, is that it's more than just the RIB manufacturer and the engine on the back. It's also the support and maintenance it receives and how good the warranty may be. I haven't had any problem with the Highfield but the Honda engine did require a new trim sensor and trim rod which were replaced under warranty without any issues.
Old 20 March 2018, 16:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyR View Post
You've asked a really good question. I was dubious at first but I bit the bullet and bought a 2-year old Highfield OM590 last year. I love it! The hull is very tough and its rigidity is appreciated in big seas (well, big for a RIB anyway!). I haven't had to add air to the PVC tubes yet and it feels to be a wide and stable platform. If I had any gripes, it would be the Honda BF100 feels a little underpowered at times...although to be fair that's usually when there are 6 - 9 people on board so perhaps it's not that surprising.

Another thing I have realised, obvious I suppose, is that it's more than just the RIB manufacturer and the engine on the back. It's also the support and maintenance it receives and how good the warranty may be. I haven't had any problem with the Highfield but the Honda engine did require a new trim sensor and trim rod which were replaced under warranty without any issues.

JonnyR, thanks good feedback. Very reassuring!
Old 20 March 2018, 16:56   #8

Town: Warlingham
Boat name: Rapier
Make: BWM
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
When I did the Round Ireland event organised by Rib Magazine a few years back, there were two production Highfield 5m Ribs in the event and one was driven by two teenage girls. Both boats completed the event without any issues, performed admirably and handled the rougher stuff well!

My friend who has had many Ribs bought a Highfield 4.2m with a Yamaha F40FETL and loves it. Sadly he is moving away from Ribs to go sailing so is selling his outfit shortly.
Old 21 March 2018, 19:34   #9

Town: sydney
Length: no boat
USED HIGHFIELD RIBs

Have been very happy with my highfield 640. To be honest if I decide to go bigger the patrol series is high on my list.

The support has been excellent. Easy for ppl to bash them because they are Chinese made. But I have owned red bays in the past and I’m more than happy with the highfield.

For those that are unaware highfield is actually owned and designed by swift ribs in Queensland Australia and the hull design is based on the popular swift hull used by a lot of the maritime police and marine rescue here on the east coast of OZ
Old 21 March 2018, 22:56   #10

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneyribber View Post
Have been very happy with my highfield 640. To be honest if I decide to go bigger the patrol series is high on my list.

The support has been excellent. Easy for ppl to bash them because they are Chinese made. But I have owned red bays in the past and I’m more than happy with the highfield.

For those that are unaware highfield is actually owned and designed by swift ribs in Queensland Australia and the hull design is based on the popular swift hull used by a lot of the maritime police and marine rescue here on the east coast of OZ
I wasn't bashing them because they were Chinese it was more to do with the crap welding
Old 22 March 2018, 19:59   #11

Town: WARSAW
Boat name: T1
Make: HIGHFIELD OM540DL
Engine: EVINRUDE 115 HO
MMSI: 261026640
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
I wasn't bashing them because they were Chinese it was more to do with the crap welding
Bad looking welding ?

Or just not hidden ?

Or you worry that pieces will pull out ?

We made almost 4000 km in Greece many often pushing crew and boat to the limit. It looks not so bad (from the distance )

If I go for bigger one I will look for Ribcraft 750S, New Model Zodiac Pro 7 with jockey seats or again Highfield but Patrol in neoprene to have feeling that will not change boat within next 10 years.

It be rigging now by "Rob Perry Marine" - I saw some complains about rigging before on RIB.net. Mine has been rigging in Poland.

It was the one company who agreed to sell boat only and agree to do it in future. I can buy engine and make rigging for my needs in one of the many Polish shipyards.

I like Ribcraft (never seen one on my eye) for lon perfect reputation and Sea keeping. I like the look and design of the Zodiac but I really love and trust ALU boats (not idea why).

Probably the only one ALU RIB 7m is Highfield again

Tags
rib