Old 17 November 2008, 15:54   #1

Boat name: Mach2
Make: Ribeye
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225F
Use of Ribeye 785

Not sure if this is the best forum for this but I'll try.

I own a Ribeye 785 Sport with a 225Hp yamaha 4 stroke outboard engine capable of carrying up to 10 people. Electronics include vhf radio with DSC, Navman 5500 GPS plotter, Navman fuel flow meter and Garmin depth finder. There is also a laser ski bar for waterskiing or the pulling of water toys. The boat is located in the Lisburn area of Northern Ireland and can be used in Lough Neagh or the sea and has undertaken trips to Scotland and the Isle of Man.

We are looking for someone who wants the use of a boat without the problems of ownership - servicing/depreciation etc. (this is not a business) for a set fee per month plus a refundable security deposit. Use of water toys, lifejackets etc. come with the boat.

Get in touch for further details.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribeye and Boston Whaler 056.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	38825  
Old 17 November 2008, 17:33   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackey View Post
We are looking for someone who wants the use of a boat without the problems of ownership - servicing/depreciation etc. (this is not a business) for a set fee per month plus a refundable security deposit. Use of water toys, lifejackets etc. come with the boat.
I think you will need to be commercially coded for Bareboat charter though? Unless you are offering a part share of your boat for sale?
Old 17 November 2008, 18:18   #3

Unfortunately that is the case. Makes it a bit more expensive. I am looking for an insurance company that may offer an alternative but have not been able to find one so far.
Old 17 November 2008, 18:31   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Cant help with boat share issues but I would suggest Porthcawl as an insurance broker to ask for help as todate they have covered three boats with different uses from charter through to safety with named helms
Old 18 November 2008, 08:07   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Engine: 200 HP
Quote:
(this is not a business) for a set fee per month plus a refundable security deposit.
Sound like charter to me

Quote:
I am looking for an insurance company that may offer an alternative but have not been able to find one so far.
It's not the insurance companies being difficult, its the law, you want to hire your boat out then its charter and the law says it has to be coded.

I would suggets you have a look at the cost of coding, it may well be that you have a lot of the kit already. Both C2 and I have coded a Ribeye 785 before, although I did mine with the local authority rather than MCA. Its a fairly straight forward boat. The trick is too choose a surveyor that has experience of RIBs and is not going to enforce rules that were written with different craft in mind.
Old 18 November 2008, 08:53   #6

I have received a quote from Porthcrawl (using a broker based in Northern Ireland) for commercial bareboat charter insurance which was actually fairly reasonable. The only issue I have with it is that I have to name the people who are going to use the boat at the inception of the policy and cannot change them during the term of the policy. I came across a "rib it" webiste and they are doing bareboat charter which appears to allow anybody to use the boat providing they have the correct experience. Can anybody shed any light on this or knows of an insurance compay that I could do something similar with?

Doug, I will have to code the boat to do this, I was hoping that there may be an alternative to keep the costs down (not skimping on safety) as all I wanted to do was get a few pounds to put towards annual running costs when I'm not using the boat. As far as coding is concerned stability tests etc. do ribeye have standard documents for this if you have coded one before? Any knowledge appreciated.
Old 18 November 2008, 13:10   #7

Quote:
As far as coding is concerned stability tests etc. do ribeye have standard documents for this if you have coded one before? Any knowledge appreciated.

Yes they will have, I did not however need them for local authority coding. If the organisation you use to code the boat have already coded an off the shelf Ribeye 785 you probably will not need stability paperwork.

If you need stuff like that talk to John at Ribeye Dartmouth, he is keen to get more of the 785s into charter.

Insurance wise I don’t do bareboat on the Ribs so cant recommend, my yachts are on bareboat through Heath Lambert.

Stating names at inception of policy does seem to contradict with how bareboat charter would operate, try dealing with Porthcrwal directly, I am not with them but found them helpful when I was last shopping around, a few of my customers are with them.

If you are only going to be dealing with a couple of drivers a year then just add them as you go, I have never heard of a policy that you can not make interim amendments to as required, although there may be a small charge each time you do. I add and remove boats from my insurance almost monthly, some times I pay; sometimes they are fine with it. A friendly competitor of mine has to send her insurers the CV of every skipper that works on her boats. They have a couple of time said no or asked for more details. When I filled in for her for a corporate day once as a favour last minute (literally 15 minutes notice) due to another skipper cancelling last minute there was a right fuss to get my CV to the insurer and get an OK from them before I could slip the dock.
Old 18 November 2008, 13:46   #8

Thanks Doug, I will try contacting Ribeye and speaking to Porthcral direct.
Old 18 November 2008, 13:50   #9
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
PM sent ref 785 coding
Old 18 November 2008, 17:55   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Thanks Doug, I will try contacting Ribeye and speaking to Porthcral direct.
Stephen from porthcawl is a trade member on here - his username is something like "Insurance Man".

If you are talking about a fairly traditional bareboat arrangement then you might want to PM me your details... I am not really in a position to sign up to a regular arrangement in northern ireland - but I am continually trying to work out if it is worth me owning a boat at the moment (as family and work commitments are interfereing too much) but do have friends in Northern Ireland who I could imagine using the boat with for the odd weekend.
Old 21 November 2008, 17:54   #11

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Porthcawl don't deal in bare boat insurance.
Old 23 November 2008, 16:10   #12

Do you know of a company that does??
Old 23 November 2008, 17:30   #13

Quote:
Do you know of a company that does??
do a search in the commercial forum, coding and insurance question come up quite regularly