Old 27 November 2008, 14:49   #1

Boat name: NEM2
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 5m +
Unregistering a boat

I had already a Avond SR4.7 but wanted to upgrade to a SR5.4.
In Belgium where I live there are no Avons except mine I think.
In the Netherlands there are some but they ask to much for it.

So I bought one in Wales and collected him on Tuesday.
On Wednesday I wanted to go register the SR5.4 but then I saw that I need a document that proves he is unregistered in the UK.

I contacted the seller but he is for some days on holiday.
Can someone give me some info on the procedure to register and unregister a boat in the UK?

In Belgium we receive a registrationplate (blue with yellow numbers) that we must put on the back of the boat. We also have to put those numbers in big letters on both sides of the boat.
In order to *un*register we must send that registrationplate back. Then we receive a document that confirms the unregistration.
Is there something similar in the UK?

A pic where you can see my belgian registration on the little brother.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB260620.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	39030  
Old 27 November 2008, 15:21   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
There is no requirement to register a leisure boat in the UK and most RIB owners do not.

If the boat had been registered it could be under Part 1 or part 3. Generally boats on a marine mortgagee may be required by the mortgage company to register and yachts that go cross Channel often register with the Part 3 (through the RYA) so that they can keep the French official happy.

An owner of a searider in Wales is highly unlikely to have a mortgage or be hopping over to France so is very unlikely to have registered the boat. It cost money and would gain him nothing.

I would recommend you tell your registration authority that the boat was not registered in the UK because there was is no requirement to. They should have come across this before but if they have not they can check with RYA or MCA and find you are correct.

Best of luck with the Belgian authorities and the new boat,

This is a good example to us of how much freedom we British boaters have and how much red tape can be involved else where. Sadly there are those who can’t think outside of the box (known as a car) and want to see licensing, registration, compulary terms, policing, annual boat inspects etc. introduced and enforced in the UK.
Old 27 November 2008, 15:55   #3

Boat name: NEM2
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 5m +
thanks Doug Stormforce for your answer.
I already suspected there is no registration in the UK because I never saw questions about it on this forum.

Belgium is Ok for his boatlaw. Not that complex and I think they will be aware of the UK-situation. I just wanted to have my facts right before presenting me there.
I think france is a better example for 'red tape'.