Old 09 July 2015, 07:34   #1

Town: Glasgow
Length: no boat
Unfortunate incident

Two women rescued after falling from boat into the Menai Strait during Rhys Meirion's Lap of Wales - Daily Post

Just heard of the above. Is it anyone on here? Thankfully it appears there was no serious injuries.

Old 11 July 2015, 09:58   #2

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Unfortunate incident

Only last week my parents said its just a matter of time before one of the rib tour boats has an accident.

A "freak" wave comment always makes me suspicious. All waves are different. You don't fall in from a jockey seat if holding on and the skipper in control. Two went in, so is guess they were at pretty high speed.

They're circling each other and playing in each others wake all day long and in some fairly choppy/rough weather sometimes. Only takes one wrong turn, engine or steering fail and they'll collide.

The big black sea wake one only last week went in to the back of a wave in a following sea when fully loaded and completely "stuffed" to a stand still.

Old 11 July 2015, 10:35   #3

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
When you go on thrill rides you have got to accept that there are risks the accident at Alton Towers proves just that. Luckily this time no one was hurt. Shit happens.
Old 11 July 2015, 11:06   #4

Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Passengers must sign an acknowledgement form when they board these boats I assume but as kerny stated everything has risks. I have not had a problem with the rib ride boats but the skipper of big black Sea wake boat came blasting past me and then turned hard to starboard right into my passage causing me to take emergency evasive action and was witnessed by several ribs who were travelling in transit with me - what a t*t!
Old 09 August 2015, 18:14   #5

Length: 10m +
Accidents happen. Luckily not as bad as one of my callouts. We had to rescue an upturned cabin adventure rib and the skipper and one crew died......
Old 16 August 2015, 16:45   #6

Town: I.O.W
Boat name: Danger Donut
Make: 6.0 rib
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner F60efi
Not commenting on the incident as I know nothing of it but if you go on a thrilling ride you expect a thrill, if it is mundane you'll complain,difficult for a skipper to judge where the line stops every trip is different, if you're not holding on as tight as the previous customers and the wave is slightly higher than last time who is responsible?
Old 21 August 2015, 14:11   #7

Town: Yeovil
Make: Ranieri
Length: no boat
Engine: Tohatsu 70
The Skipper is always responsible, that is why he is the Skipper.
Old 21 August 2015, 15:38   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
considering the numbers of hours the various rib ride boats do on The Menai over the course of a season I think they do an excellent job, I'm sure if there was a problem with the operations the local Coastguard and Harbour Authority would be making comments to the powers that be!
Old 08 November 2015, 04:26   #9

Length: 3m +
Looks like CHIRP has reported some very brief details of the circumstances of this incident:

https://s5.newzapp.co.uk/i/23592/nz-.../MFB/MFB41.pdf

- Manual Lifejackets!
- Rear seat mentioned but detail not provided - I've always though rear benches looked risky to me. They remind me of travelling on the back seat of a bus going round corners and bumps at speed where if you were on the inside you were lucky not to have 5 people leaning on you...
- Boat hooked (so not a freak wave)
- Suspected dislocated shoulder (CHIRP does such a thorough job of investigating you have no idea if that was the case!)

For some reason the presence of a film boat seems to have upset CHIRP.

Other than re-linking to the Milly report I'm not sure what else we are supposed to gleam from the CHIRP report. Is there a fundamental problem with rear bench seats? Was there actually an issue with Manual LJs.
Old 08 November 2015, 05:26   #10
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
For some reason the presence of a film boat seems to have upset CHIRP.

Other than re-linking to the Milly report I'm not sure what else we are supposed to gleam from the CHIRP report. Is there a fundamental problem with rear bench seats? Was there actually an issue with Manual LJs.
CHIRP seemed to want to place some responsibility on the Film Company for the activities/safety. My (limited) experience of film companies is that their employees have ABSOLUTELY no concern for safety or regulations and are ENTIRELY focused on getting good footage. This brings them into direct conflict with a skipper's primary responsibility - safety of passengers and craft. The Film Crew are paying....

Bench seats in planing craft are identified by the Irish MSO as potentially dangerous and must be fitted with lap-belts (themselves potentially dangerous, IMO)

The only issue with manual LJs is that they were being used
Fine for an "abandon ship" scenario, potentially fatal in this sort - high speed ejection.