Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 06 February 2010, 02:36   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 hp
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 582
Underfloor fuel tanks

Can underfloor fuel tanks be made of grp.? in situ..

Will Petrol affect the grp over a course of time.

Or is it best to have stainless steel.

Once fitted there never going to come out.
I hope.
__________________

__________________
Sonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2010, 04:17   #2
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonar View Post
Can underfloor fuel tanks be made of grp.? in situ..

Will Petrol affect the grp over a course of time.

Or is it best to have stainless steel.

Once fitted there never going to come out.
I hope.
No

Yes

It's better if you can get them out
__________________

__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2010, 10:46   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 hp
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 582
sorted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
No

Yes

It's better if you can get them out
Thanks for the reply.
Guess removable stainless steel is best..
__________________
Sonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2010, 05:54   #4
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
Osprey have been fitting GRP fuel tanks to their Vipermax range (and probably others) for years and don't seem to have any problems. However before you go off to build one with standard materials I beleive they use a Petrol resistant resin in the make up.

Not sure about building them in situ. Better on the bench and then fit them after.
__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2010, 06:00   #5
RIBnet supporter
 
Jizm's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,803
what about polyethylene...

http://www.tek-tanks.com/boats/
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2010, 06:11   #6
nik
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: east cowes
Make: academic
Length: no boat
Engine: fresh air
MMSI: N/A
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 540
The resin is Neo Pentyl Glycol.
There is a thread about it here
__________________
nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 February 2010, 03:55   #7
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Osprey have been fitting GRP fuel tanks to their Vipermax range (and probably others) for years and don't seem to have any problems. However before you go off to build one with standard materials I beleive they use a Petrol resistant resin in the make up.

Not sure about building them in situ. Better on the bench and then fit them after.
There are CE rules about this, and as I understand it you can't have a built in petrol tank, in addition Scott Bader who supply our materials don't do a petrol proof resin, especially with them changing the make up of fuel all of the time.

The US has had many problems with the additives in their fuel and GRP tanks with them disintegrating and bits getting to the motors and causing lots of damage.

We have a Diesel boat with a built in tank which is fine.
__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 February 2010, 04:05   #8
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
The man from Scorpion was banging on in his RIB Intl column about how Scorpions have a big inspection hatch to allow you to clean the tank out and how nobody else does this.

Is it true that nobody else does - why? Even if the tank doesn't disintegrate, it will accumulate poo over time. Seems that it would be cheaper to put a hatch in than make the whole tank removable? otherwise you have to hold the boat upside down and shake it
__________________
A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you throw money...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 February 2010, 04:14   #9
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
The man from Scorpion was banging on in his RIB Intl column about how Scorpions have a big inspection hatch to allow you to clean the tank out and how nobody else does this.

Is it true that nobody else does - why? Even if the tank doesn't disintegrate, it will accumulate poo over time. Seems that it would be cheaper to put a hatch in than make the whole tank removable? otherwise you have to hold the boat upside down and shake it
It's a big, bold and in my opinion naive comment to say "nobody does this", in fact we make all of our boats with access to fuel tanks to make them removable, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are manufacturers out there with inspection hatches in fuel tanks as well.
__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 February 2010, 11:58   #10
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
There are CE rules about this, and as I understand it you can't have a built in petrol tank, in addition Scott Bader who supply our materials don't do a petrol proof resin, especially with them changing the make up of fuel all of the time.

The US has had many problems with the additives in their fuel and GRP tanks with them disintegrating and bits getting to the motors and causing lots of damage.

We have a Diesel boat with a built in tank which is fine.
The fiberglass tanks Osprey make aren't built in so to speak. They are made on the bench and then glassed in place. But once glassed in place they form part of the boat and are removed by having to cut out the deck and console which isn't a five min job which kind of makes it a built in tank.

My last RIB had a poly tank and that was buried under a deck and consol too and obviously involved alot of work to remove, as I'm sure stainless ones are on other RIBs. Does this make them "built in"?
__________________

__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.