Old 10 June 2014, 13:50   #41

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
well if its round your waist and you go in head first or you fall from a moving boat then it could easily end up round your ankles
whilst the post was extreme it was meant light heartedly
the point is if equipment is worn as intended then people would be much safer & that can only be a good thing
I had no idea how bad a parent I was, my daughter could have died, you should all really report me to the NSPCC

I have no idea how she managed to make it to 18

Seriously, kill cords-always, Lifejackets offshore-no brainer, BA for watersports-good idea. But not wearing half a wetsuit on a sunny day ?????
Old 10 June 2014, 14:42   #42

Town: Portsmouth(ish)
Boat name: Wings
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F115 AETL
RIBase
It has gone a bit off-topic from the overall dangerous RIB I first mentioned! But if nothing else, it's provoked a bit of thought and a few ideas!
Old 10 June 2014, 17:08   #43

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
I had no idea how bad a parent I was, my daughter could have died, you should all really report me to the NSPCC

I have no idea how she managed to make it to 18

Seriously, kill cords-always, Lifejackets offshore-no brainer, BA for watersports-good idea. But not wearing half a wetsuit on a sunny day ?????
the origional post was relating to people in boats and on boards & kayaks very different to playing on a beach in waist deep water.
perhaps you need to re read the complete thread?
Old 10 June 2014, 17:14   #44

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
the origional post was relating to people in boats and on boards & kayaks very different to playing on a beach in waist deep water.

Aye the cheeky nobber I would report him to the NSPCC
Old 10 June 2014, 17:25   #45

Quote:

I have hung my head in shame

To clarify, its OK to wear half a wetsuit in waist deep water cos they cant drown in that. But if they are in shoulder deep water they will die a horrible death from wetsuit inversion and lack of parental responsibility

Kids had just rowed the tender in from our sportsboat at the time of picture (Oars and BA's in tender), the oars of course had the kill cord attached

Threads evolve, this one has move on a long way since the OP started it.
Old 10 June 2014, 17:26   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
Aye the cheeky nobber I would report him to the NSPCC
No need, kids have been able to quote the childline number to me since they could speak
Old 10 June 2014, 17:29   #47
keg

Town: Leeds
Boat name: Searider SR4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 55HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovey View Post
It has gone a bit off-topic from the overall dangerous RIB I first mentioned! But if nothing else, it's provoked a bit of thought and a few ideas!
That pic has to be in a foreign country, nowhere in the UK looks that hot, even in summer!
Old 10 June 2014, 17:33   #48

Town: Lancashire
Make: Humber
Engine: Suzuki 140
Still off topic,but as the title is unbelievable ribbers how about, as well as making kill chords and life jackets compulsory, bringing in mot's for trailers.

Those loons with boats full of beer, kids, and no life jackets are most likely to be the same ones we see on the hard shoulders up and down the country. They,ll be minus a wheel having ploughed a stripe through the Tarmac with the stub axle.

To be fair, killchord and life jacket has always been a no brainier for me. However, a complete beginner may not even know what a killchord is! And without mot's how would a person new to boating know that filling your boat with fuel and camping gear and dipping it in saltwater is going to get you 12 months from your bearings!?!

Nobody told me.......actually the AA man told me the second time it happened! Ok. It was pre internet and I had no boating friends at the time but nevertheless an extremely dangerous learning curve, that could have killed my family and other innocent road users. Education and legislation that's what I say.
Old 10 June 2014, 17:35   #49

RIBase
Beamishken, the original thread was my comment about a dangerous RIB that I had seen at the weekend. Don't think I need to read too much!

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net

(Or dive, or ref rugby, or.......)
Ovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2014, 17:37   #50

RIBase
But yes, the thread has moved on and provoked thought/comment which can only be good.

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net

(Or dive, or ref rugby, or.......)
Ovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2014, 17:41   #51

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjj216 View Post
Still off topic,but as the title is unbelievable ribbers how about, as well as making kill chords and life jackets compulsory, bringing in mot's for trailers.

Those loons with boats full of beer, kids, and no life jackets are most likely to be the same ones we see on the hard shoulders up and down the country. They,ll be minus a wheel having ploughed a stripe through the Tarmac with the stub axle.

To be fair, killchord and life jacket has always been a no brainier for me. However, a complete beginner may not even know what a killchord is! And without mot's how would a person new to boating know that filling your boat with fuel and camping gear and dipping it in saltwater is going to get you 12 months from your bearings!?!

Nobody told me.......actually the AA man told me the second time it happened! Ok. It was pre internet and I had no boating friends at the time but nevertheless an extremely dangerous learning curve, that could have killed my family and other innocent road users. Education and legislation that's what I say.
http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/compulso...ink-55022.html
You might find this interesting....
Old 10 June 2014, 18:46   #52

Town: Belper
Boat name: Ey up mi duck
Make: Ribcraft
Well thanks everyone that's cleared all that up to a newbie !!!

my eldest daughter challenged some lads into jumping off the end of the harbour at craighouse on jura a few years ago . It was pissing it down and cold (mid summer on jura ) should I have;

Stopped her and half the lads that did it

Made them wear a wet suit

Made them wear half a wet suit

Made them have BA ( presumably this means breathing apparatus ) no I am not really that thick but abbreviation can be misleading .

let them do it but give them the nspcc hotline number

Let them do it but give the survivors the number

Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
Old 10 June 2014, 18:54   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedonna View Post
Well thanks everyone that's cleared all that up to a newbie !!!

my eldest daughter challenged some lads into jumping off the end of the harbour at craighouse on jura a few years ago . It was pissing it down and cold (mid summer on jura ) should I have;

Stopped her and half the lads that did it

Made them wear a wet suit

Made them wear half a wet suit

Made them have BA ( presumably this means breathing apparatus ) no I am not really that thick but abbreviation can be misleading .

let them do it but give them the nspcc hotline number

Let them do it but give the survivors the number

You are over complicating it. Just do what the rest of us responsible parents do.......................

Go to the pub and leave them to it (Making sure you are not wearing half a wetsuit in case you drown in the pubs fish tank)
Old 10 June 2014, 19:00   #54

Sh1t obviously went to the pub with wet suit on . Had to roll it down to the waste as I couldn't get my crisp crumbs out .

Old 10 June 2014, 19:30   #55

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Perhaps now's not the time to mention the occasion I jumped off my yacht mid-Atlantic stark bollox naked with no life jacket - just because I could?

Checked that boarding ladder was down and threw 50 metres of line overboard first, attached to a couple of fenders.

Happy days indeed.
Old 10 June 2014, 19:36   #56

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
Perhaps now's not the time to mention the occasion I jumped off my yacht mid-Atlantic stark bollox naked with no life jacket - just because I could?

Checked that boarding ladder was down and threw 50 metres of line overboard first, attached to a couple of fenders.

Happy days indeed.
I hope that you had a good few pints before you did it
Old 10 June 2014, 19:39   #57

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Engine: opti 150
there are some knob jockeys out there , out with wibs and desperado for fuel a big rib dives into a spot im waiting for what a clown i get to go round the other side of the fueling pontoon and a clown in a row boat heading for his yacht only the currents too strong for him .. thankfully on pb2 we were worked hard on pontoons it took 3 attempts and they were slow but i was reet proud of meself

the following outing i break down trying to get back to warsash ( and if you were the rib taxi many thanks for your chaperone) a complete knob jockey in a bayliner slams past me to make the fishermans pontoon before me `i was committed` great knumb knots i`ve got feck all power btw that 6ft6in bloke next to you is wibs with another 6ft bloke trevor lawson and i`m in a reet bad mood .....yes not so confident now are we ?

the moral i guess is i still know nothing but practice practice practice and a big thanks to fellow ribbers who take the time to make sure we get things right including recovering 3 times because it wasn`t good enough the first !
Old 10 June 2014, 19:51   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingosucks View Post
there are some knob jockeys out there , out with wibs and desperado for fuel a big rib dives into a spot im waiting for what a clown i get to go round the other side of the fueling pontoon and a clown in a row boat heading for his yacht only the currents too strong for him .. thankfully on pb2 we were worked hard on pontoons it took 3 attempts and they were slow but i was reet proud of meself

the following outing i break down trying to get back to warsash ( and if you were the rib taxi many thanks for your chaperone) a complete knob jockey in a bayliner slams past me to make the fishermans pontoon before me `i was committed` great knumb knots i`ve got feck all power btw that 6ft6in bloke next to you is wibs with another 6ft bloke trevor lawson and i`m in a reet bad mood .....yes not so confident now are we ?

the moral i guess is i still know nothing but practice practice practice and a big thanks to fellow ribbers who take the time to make sure we get things right including recovering 3 times because it wasn`t good enough the first !

Just when it thought I was learning the lingo . Understood 10 % of that !

Old 10 June 2014, 19:52   #59

Town: Lancashire
Make: Humber
Engine: Suzuki 140
Kerny: interesting poll. I abstained from this one as my thoughts would be compulsory education - somewhere in the middle of the two poll options.

We should probably bear in mind that most voters would have been experienced boaters. With an outboard, aux, and trailer in good mechanical order regardless of age, a killchord fitted and life jackets for all. I'd guess they'd all have a pretty good idea of the consequences if any of these were neglected.

My thinking is that if someone with no experience finds himself with some spare cash decides he'd like a RIB or speedboat for this years holiday. There's nothing in place to stop him putting a cool box full of wine and Stella onboard with his wife and kids and going full throttle without even knowing what a kill chord, trim switch, aux engine is.

If he gets away with that he'll winch it on to a trailer that may not be up to scratch and drag it up the motorway at 60mph.

I'd guess the people referred to by the OP are probably not bad parents. After all, they're taking the family on a holiday and they've even bought a boat to ride around in.
They've maybe never heard of a killchord and never imagined the consequences of one of the kids falling in without a life jacket, even moored on a pontoon.

They are probably guilty of being a bit thoughtless, irresponsible, naive. Compulsory education with maybe actual footage or MAIB and police reports demonstrating the consequences of being uneducated in charge of a boat would definitely save lives IMO.
Old 10 June 2014, 20:06   #60

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjj216 View Post
Kerny: interesting poll. I abstained from this one as my thoughts would be compulsory education - somewhere in the middle of the two poll options.

We should probably bear in mind that most voters would have been experienced boaters. With an outboard, aux, and trailer in good mechanical order regardless of age, a killchord fitted and life jackets for all. I'd guess they'd all have a pretty good idea of the consequences if any of these were neglected.

My thinking is that if someone with no experience finds himself with some spare cash decides he'd like a RIB or speedboat for this years holiday. There's nothing in place to stop him putting a cool box full of wine and Stella onboard with his wife and kids and going full throttle without even knowing what a kill chord, trim switch, aux engine is.

If he gets away with that he'll winch it on to a trailer that may not be up to scratch and drag it up the motorway at 60mph.

I'd guess the people referred to by the OP are probably not bad parents. After all, they're taking the family on a holiday and they've even bought a boat to ride around in.
They've maybe never heard of a killchord and never imagined the consequences of one of the kids falling in without a life jacket, even moored on a pontoon.

They are probably guilty of being a bit thoughtless, irresponsible, naive. Compulsory education with maybe actual footage or MAIB and police reports demonstrating the consequences of being uneducated in charge of a boat would definitely save lives IMO.
Common sense (although not so common these days) is the main saviour, also the engine will not start without the kc although it does need to be attached to the person which I would have thought was obvious.

Anyway's deaths and serious injury in leisure boating accidents in the UK are far and few between... unlike cars where there is legislation. I will leave it there because this subject has been thrashed already.

Tags
rib