Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 26 February 2009, 05:21   #1
RIBnet supporter
 
Erin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,830
Ultrasonic antifoul

Anyone know anything about ultrasonic antifouling? Just wondering whether it would be of use on my drying mooring to avoid antifoul paint and/or monthly scrubbing.
__________________
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2009, 06:59   #2
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
I'm trying to find which is the best hard wearing antifoul to as I have the chance of keeping the RIB in the dock for some time. I know from experience boats in this dock (for some reason) foul up allot quicker than most. Someone did explain it to me along time ago but it went in one ear and out 'tother.
__________________

__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2009, 07:37   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Have done a bit of research on this recently , but is on Laptop at home - wehn I get in later I'll dig it out . I THINK international hard is possibly the best one , Blakes took a load of chemicals out of thier white one to make it white , but in doing so it now is not as good an antifoul !

Assume people want white to match thier nice shiny white gel coat ( if you have a white hull ) .

As for doing by sound waves - is it the 1 April yet ?- cant see how that would work at all .......
__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2009, 07:45   #4
Member
 
SeaSkills's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 632
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Try www.boatsonic.com for some more information.

There does seem to be some science behind it, and it's more popular in the States than over here, but not for me because;

a) it's rather expensive
b) it needs a permanent power supply and I don't think my batteries would cope
__________________
SEASKILLS TRAINING
Web; www.seaskills.co.uk
Email; info@seaskills.co.uk
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2009, 07:53   #5
RIBnet supporter
 
Erin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,830
I'm not sure about the power supply either. I've looked at http://www.blueandgreenmarine.com/ and http://www.ultrasonic-antifouling.com/ One of them only supposedly takes 60mA to run which a solar panel could supply easily. I emailed both companies a week ago but neither have bothered to reply yet.
__________________
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2009, 08:32   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cowes
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
Have done a bit of research on this recently , but is on Laptop at home - wehn I get in later I'll dig it out . I THINK international hard is possibly the best one , Blakes took a load of chemicals out of thier white one to make it white , but in doing so it now is not as good an antifoul !

Assume people want white to match thier nice shiny white gel coat ( if you have a white hull ) .

As for doing by sound waves - is it the 1 April yet ?- cant see how that would work at all .......
Maybe this is helpful - international hard, didnt have great results with it in the solent, perhaps badly applied, i dont know. have used Blakes Hard Racing last 3 seasons and no complaints at all (just a little slime after a couple of months).
__________________
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2009, 08:48   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
Maybe this is helpful - international hard, didnt have great results with it in the solent, perhaps badly applied, i dont know. have used Blakes Hard Racing last 3 seasons and no complaints at all (just a little slime after a couple of months).
I use blakes to - again little slime after a few months - but I am in 100% fresh water at the mooring. Heard its not as good in sea water . So much differance in water tem/ salinity etc its hard to tell.

I'm not sure I want to plug any more elctrics into my boat - what I've only works some of the time !
__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2009, 17:13   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cowes
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
I use blakes to - again little slime after a few months - but I am in 100% fresh water at the mooring. Heard its not as good in sea water . So much differance in water tem/ salinity etc its hard to tell.

I'm not sure I want to plug any more elctrics into my boat - what I've only works some of the time !
no problems with it on the medina from April to November. but its a lottery with these things!
__________________
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2009, 03:03   #9
Member
 
Tony's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Length: 8m +
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Anyone know anything about ultrasonic antifouling? Just wondering whether it would be of use on my drying mooring to avoid antifoul paint and/or monthly scrubbing.
Hi Erin
How did you get on with the ultrasonic antifoul?
__________________
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2009, 03:24   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Anyone know anything about ultrasonic antifouling? Just wondering whether it would be of use on my drying mooring to avoid antifoul paint and/or monthly scrubbing.
I've an interest in the ultrasonic side so let's hope someone has experience.On the anti fouling; my experience, as most are saying here, interspeed ultra, pricy but has worked best for me, (I've tried the others mentioned) boat is always afloat in the sea.One thing to remember different manufacturers products don't always match - do a test.
__________________

__________________
.
IBWET is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.