Old 24 October 2006, 12:44   #1

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Ullman Seating

Can someone bring me up to speed on Ullman seating?
Old 24 October 2006, 15:34   #2

Town: Lee on the Solent
Boat name: Saintlee
Make: Leeway
Engine: Evinrude DI 115
In what respect? I have just done a quick Google and found details on the Tornado site (amongst others). There's some good pdf's to download from there. They are certainly a sexy looking bit of kit (not good for storage though!).
Old 24 October 2006, 15:41   #3

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
In what respect? I have just done a quick Google and found details on the Tornado site (amongst others). There's some good pdf's to download from there. They are certainly a sexy looking bit of kit (not good for storage though!).
Yes, I found the Tornado site too.

I would imagine the ride dampening effect -assuming it works well- would really come into its own on a RIB.

I wonder what they retail for?
Old 24 October 2006, 18:18   #4

Town: Tofte
Make: Tornado 750
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250 Suzuki
http://www.ullmandynamics.com/. I have them for 650 hours now. Will absolutely mount it again when changing boat. Almost all the charter ribs here in Oslofjorden use them.

Roy

www.rib-adventure.no
RibRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2006, 18:42   #5

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moore View Post

I wonder what they retail for?
£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££
Old 24 October 2006, 20:39   #6

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
£1500 to £2000 is what i heard - each!!!
Old 25 October 2006, 01:22   #7

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Cod, think about it, four Ullman's in your boat... that confused sea would not be so confused....
Old 25 October 2006, 01:58   #8

It would make life easier but maybe it can isolate you a bit too much from what is really going on? With those seats you may not realise what sort of a hammering the poor boat is taking. Before long engine mounts start to fail etc etc.
Old 25 October 2006, 02:02   #9

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Ullman seats are a bunch of hoopla. Fancy stuff only affordable by the pussy military etc. That's what your legs are for.
Old 25 October 2006, 02:10   #10

re: Ullman seats

Limey, are you teasing Cod again? I have personally never tried Ullmans on a boat underway, sat on them on the C whatever it is Zodiac at the Miami boat show, I have tested Stidd seats on a X-36 Nautica and found them very helpful in big waves (as was the eight point harness I was wearing) outside of Government cut in Miami when it was blowing pretty good. I have what can be generously described as generic Ullman type seats (shock absorbing) in my boat and they do help save your lower back. And at 51 I need to save what little lower back I have left! I hope this doesn't mean I am a P...Y Damn! And just when you think life is getting better..
Old 25 October 2006, 09:44   #11

Town: Drøbak
Make: RIBTECH 9,5
Engine: Volvo D6 370
Ullmann

Hi
Like RibRoy we mounted Ullmans in our 9,5 Tornado, We now have 370 hours on them and in my next boat i will buy new ones.

Not only are they good when sitting down, but like many of you i like
to stand while driving in rough seas, and then the ullmans are unloaded and they come up quite high so you get good support between your thighs.

I rode an 8,5 Tornado with original jockeys the other day and i felt like i was thrown out of the boat.

So i would go for the Ullman chairs.

Roy
Old 25 October 2006, 12:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla View Post
Limey, are you teasing Cod again? I have personally never tried Ullmans on a boat underway, sat on them on the C whatever it is Zodiac at the Miami boat show, I have tested Stidd seats on a X-36 Nautica and found them very helpful in big waves (as was the eight point harness I was wearing) outside of Government cut in Miami when it was blowing pretty good. I have what can be generously described as generic Ullman type seats (shock absorbing) in my boat and they do help save your lower back. And at 51 I need to save what little lower back I have left! I hope this doesn't mean I am a P...Y Damn! And just when you think life is getting better..
What happens if you are wearing an 8 point harness and the boat flips???
Old 25 October 2006, 13:07   #13

Well, the boat flips.. so do you! The harnesses are installed so as to keep occupants from being ejected during heavy seas. One of Nautica's boats was sold to the Navy as a test mule and the gentlemen who took us out was employed by the Navy to torture test boats, they would run one until it broke and then take it apart, see what had gone wrong, fix it, and do it again. If memory serves U.S. seal teams have Stidds, although I am not sure if they have the harnesses, or if they use them. As a side note, I have installed seat belts on my seats, I use the belt while standing, cinched up just enough to pull my torso snug to the helm seat, it works very well to give you just a little extra stability, I use it all the time. When I have children riding in the bow seat on War Machine they must wear the seatbelt installed, I am not worried so much about them being thrown out of the boat, little chance of that, as much as possibly being bounced off the seat and planting their face on the hard metal deck! Boating is fun, injuries are not! My opinion echoes the sentiments of earlier posts regarding shock absorbing seating... if you install seats such as Stidd, Ullman or something else with true shock mitigating qualities, you will probably never go back to conventional seats, given you can afford them.
Old 25 October 2006, 13:07   #14
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
What happens if you are wearing an 8 point harness and the boat flips???
You start hunting for the quick release catch double quick while perfecting the breathing via ones ass.
Old 25 October 2006, 13:11   #15

I am pretty sure seatbelts on racing boats etc are banned unless it's a fully enclosed canopy with an emergency breathing system. And for a good reason. Far better to be thrown clear in the event of a capsize!!!
Old 25 October 2006, 13:24   #16

The release on the restraint system used on the Stidd was in the center of the chest if I recall correctly, and easily operated for removal. I would imagine the harness would permit you to do certain things while underway without having to concentrate on keeping your body in the seat, operate equipment, fire a weapon, drink a beer....
Old 25 October 2006, 16:14   #17

Town: Ventura, California
Boat name: Maverick
Make: Ribcraft Mitigator
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 150 hp Johnsons
We have one Ullman on our Ribcraft Mitigator and like it so much we are adding 2 more and one on our 30 foot Nautica. Not only have we found it to be great in heavy seas but to our surprise very comfortable on long calm trips as well.

We often have tows lasting over 10 hours and spend 1/3 of that time at speed and 2/3 traveling slow while under tow. I originally thought the seat was going to be uncomfortable at the slow speeds but was amazed after having spent 12 hours on it one day. It not only absorbs shock but also keeps you in an ergonomically correct position at all times. Most important of all, it takes care of you when you hit the unexpected wave and aren't ready for it.

For those of you here in the States we are a dealer for Ullman Seats and will gladly give demo rides on the Mitigator to interested parties. In the UK you can contact Ullman directly and they are very expensive but well worth the money if it saves an injury.

We just sold one to a local harbor patrol agency who had an officer suffer a back injury on an Avon 4M. It was a mild day but while he was paying attention to the rescue he hit a small wave and came down wrong resulting in a hurt back. After going for a spin on the ours they cut us a check.
Channelwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2006, 17:10   #18

Town: Anchorage
Boat name: Trojan
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Twin Yamaha 70's
Send pictures

Anyone that has one of these send me pics of the baseplate, the shock mounts and the pivot and the seat bottom and back. I have just learned how to weld aluminum and would like to give a homemade one a shot.

Pleeeeeaaase...

Jimmy...

I am going to drink now as it is my friday night and time to have a good time.. Damnit!!! Should't have put the boat away so early!
Old 25 October 2006, 17:27   #19

Town: Anchorage
Boat name: Trojan
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Twin Yamaha 70's
Nevermind.

looks like they allready did that for me on the website. Looks like the top plate is a heavy piece of spring steel. Is the bottom plate hinged? It looks like it would be rigid to keep the seat parallel with the floor. Top it off with a high quality corrosion resistant shock and you have a seat base. What are the thoughts on using a macpherson strut and two hinged parallel plates rather than using the spring steel?

Jimmy.
Old 25 October 2006, 21:48   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Beam View Post
looks like they allready did that for me on the website. Looks like the top plate is a heavy piece of spring steel. Is the bottom plate hinged? It looks like it would be rigid to keep the seat parallel with the floor. Top it off with a high quality corrosion resistant shock and you have a seat base. What are the thoughts on using a macpherson strut and two hinged parallel plates rather than using the spring steel?

Jimmy.
Thought of trying this myself - there are other seats out there of a similar nature.