Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01 August 2008, 03:49   #1
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2
UK Regs

Hi All,
I am trying to find out what regualtions, licencsing and insuring etc it required to take a small sib on Englands waterways and seas.
I rang the MCA but the guy I need was apparently on holiday and the guy I spoke to couldn't advise me on anything smaller than a ferry!!
All info greatly appreciated!

mthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 August 2008, 04:35   #2
RIBnet admin team
Nos4r2's Avatar
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,691
There aren't any regs on the sea apart from the collision regulations (google ColRegs and you'll find them) though a modicum of common sense is required. The waterways are a different matter-you'd need to ask British Waterways or someone who works for them for that.
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 August 2008, 07:56   #3
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,107
And as far as i am aware the BWB doesnt cover all rivers, for example the avon is covered by the upper and lower avon navigation trusts who deal with licencing.
if your sib is below a certain size and engine power you may not need a licence, first port of call as Nos says is the BWB.
doggypaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 August 2008, 09:38   #4
m chappelow's Avatar
Country: UK - England
Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,310
as far as i know on british waterways owned canals and rivers the only thing you need is a day permit which is bought from them selves b/w at watford main office or by certain canal and river chandlers ,it used to cost going back a few years about 4.50p for the day or about 7 .oop for a weeks permit without the use of locks , this was also restricted to 4 hp outboards on canals and 10 hp on rivers or tidal sections owned by b/w.but the strange fact is that if you dont have one and you get caught by a b/w inspector that apparently dont work week ends you just pay double the day permit cost .this also applies if you have a rowing boat ,for anything other than a day boat ie cabin cruiser you have to have a safety certificate and the rules are very stringent ie correct fuel piping up to a certain standard at one time which dident even exist except in the aircraft industry though they have changed that one now and hose couplings have to be crimped. basicaly a load of bollacks for the engine side of things ,
m chappelow is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.