Old 25 July 2014, 06:53   #1

Length: 7m +
Twin Sails Bridge Navigation

Quick question regarding navigating / passing through the twin sails bridge in Poole.

If lights are on proceed or proceed with caution is it OK if your boat is low enouth to pass under the bridge on either side of the main opening channel to use these channels to pass under. As indicated in the picture, look for the two yellow arrows. Is this Ok or is the use of these area's either side of the opening span prohibited ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	twin sails.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	97089  
Old 25 July 2014, 07:57   #2

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Engine: Outboard
Officially no, but I have seen lots of the local fishermen and other numpties doing so.
I have yet to hear of anyone being fined. There are more important offences going on elsewhere in the harbour.
They claim those spans have not been checked or cleared of obstructions.

If you have yellow over red, you can proceed with caution, which they usually leave on as the bridge is lifting and dropping. The only time you have to wait, is on solid reds and that's only for a few minutes.
Regards
Steve
Old 25 July 2014, 09:32   #3

Thanks Steve, thats what I thought but without exception every time I go through the proper channel others are going through in the restricted bit which then causes some issues, not once have I heard the bridge control person saying anything to the ones going through in the other bit.

I was a bit miffed the other day as I was waitying for ages when the signals were on red and no boats coming through so was perfectly clear I called the bridge control on 12 and asked if I could go through the other bit and they said no while in full view of other boats going through the other bit same direction I was going.

Sometimes I have the feeling the bridge control person or people are asleep, they regularly forget to change the signals back once bridge operation complete, I even had to call them up on several occasions as lights still on red after 10 mins of no activity.

More of the wild west approach to pool harbour syndrome. Everyone does what they want to, there are bye laws but all are infringed regularly and poole harbour strategy is education rather than fines, its all bollocks and I find them hopeless. And the all inapprorpiate navigation, speeding and other bollocks just makes more hassle for those trying to do the right thing.
Old 25 July 2014, 11:05   #4

Town: Poole
Boat name: Triple O
Make: R70
Engine: Suzuki 200hp
I agree Boris - This education rather than enforcement policy just isn't working - particularly (but certainly not exclusively) with jet ski's. In the last two weeks the amount of unchecked 60 and 70mph ski's flying around the harbour has been staggering. I'm certain if just two high profile prosecutions were made a month it would be enough to deter the uneducated from this dangerous activity. Perhaps the marine police could put up posters on every slipway (there are only a few including the yacht clubs) warning of prosecutions and reminding harbour users that most of the harbour is under camera coverage which can be used for evidence in a prosecution. I feel like a ranting pension moaning about the youth of today now..
Old 25 July 2014, 12:47   #5

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Engine: Outboard
As a high profile harbour user, I can't say too much.
PHC try to so what they can with the restricted resourses they have. Obviously, the patrol vessel cannot be everywhere at the same time and it is the second biggest harbour in the world.
Whilst they have cameras on all the busy areas, positive identification of jet skies and smaller non-descript boats is very difficult.
There has been and will be, prosecutions where injury/damage has taken place. Fortunately or maybe even luckily, considering the huge number of water users, very few incidents occur.

When leaving and entering the harbour, we always comply with the keep to Starboard and pass port to port, but have really given up on expecting anyone else to do the same. Therefore we opperate very defensively and have given up trying to educate others, as you end up with offensive gestures or words. Not good with clients onboard.

If you do observe anything that particularly appears stupid or wrong, please take pictures or video and sent to the Harbour Master, they are very willing to see evidence and take action where possible. Maintain a listening watch on Channel 14, use it if necessary and the PHC patrol vessel is called Vigilant.
Regards
Steve
Old 25 July 2014, 12:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf10 View Post
I agree Boris - This education rather than enforcement policy just isn't working - particularly (but certainly not exclusively) with jet ski's. In the last two weeks the amount of unchecked 60 and 70mph ski's flying around the harbour has been staggering. I'm certain if just two high profile prosecutions were made a month it would be enough to deter the uneducated from this dangerous activity. Perhaps the marine police could put up posters on every slipway (there are only a few including the yacht clubs) warning of prosecutions and reminding harbour users that most of the harbour is under camera coverage which can be used for evidence in a prosecution. I feel like a ranting pension moaning about the youth of today now..
I feel the same, every time I go out and visibly see a jet ski within a mile I just know the asshole is going to cause me problems, and usually does occur, they must fancy me or something because they are always trying to go up my **S. Yes enforcement policy isnt working bacuse they dont do it, enforce it I mean. Some people are prosecuted as ive seen notices on the PHC website but hardly anyone knows that because they dont make people aware other than through the website. I just want them to be more active in the danger areas, in particular the harbour entrance.

I agree maybe if they put up posters by baiter slip way it would make people aware that people are being fined.

Its not just jet skiers that are the problem, but they certainly are one of the main problems. I shouted to a bunch of jet skiers the other day doing excessive speed past haven hotel in that small channel past the beach, they just laughed at me ... bt*rds . Ha Ha
Old 25 July 2014, 21:24   #7

Length: 4m +
Officially you should only go through the central span but as you said lots of boats go through the other spams on either side, usually without problem or being told off.

I was out weekend before last doing some training between the bridges with some clients out of Cobbs Quay on Saturday morning. We headed through twin sails on the 10.30 lift and did boat handling exercises between the bridges until the 11.30 lift when we head back to Cobbs.
It was a lovely day and lots of boats heading out. I think I counted over 20 boats heading out on each lift.
On both lifts the MVS patrol boat was around and was tasked by the bridge control to stop and talk to any boats that went through the outer spans of twin sails rather than the central lifting span.

RYA Instructor, Trainer, Examiner and Skipper
Old 27 July 2014, 11:34   #8

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Been around there a lot recently whilst training, quite often Bridge control use the loud hailer to tell vessels NOT to proceed either side of the main span either with Amber over red or 3 reds!! One day 2 weeks ago saw an outboard "kick up" whilst going under the Stbd span near SS, however was very close to shore..