Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 26 October 2010, 09:25   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Mistress
Make: Tornado or Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x 115hp
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 55
Twin Engines

Hi,
How does twin engines work on the console?
Presumably you need 2 trim tabs, so you can raise and lower each engine independantly.

Do you also have 2 throttles, or just one throttle with 2 ignition keys/buttons/switches?

Yours,
Tom
__________________

__________________
tompaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2010, 09:36   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Tenby
Boat name: Dash Duck
Make: BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Twin 60's
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 165
On mine i have 2 of the quicksilver side mounted units so the same as single just with 2 of them, the simpler way.

There are lots of variations, but for most i guess you have to have 2 starting systems, 2 throttle systems and a way of using the trim tilt on each engine.
__________________

__________________
ed_dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2010, 11:13   #3
Member
 
havener's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Far west!
Boat name: Vigilant
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompaddock View Post
Hi,
How does twin engines work on the console?
Presumably you need 2 trim tabs, so you can raise and lower each engine independantly.

Do you also have 2 throttles, or just one throttle with 2 ignition keys/buttons/switches?

Yours,
Tom
Two throttles, that way you can run one astern and one forward to turn on the spot. In fact, even with twin inboards, everything should be duplicated so you don't have a single point of failure, and can therefore get home on one if the other dies. The most vulnerable failure point would be a shared fuel source, obviously then contamination would affect both.

Mind you, with Castoldi jets we don't worry about things like trim tabs
__________________
havener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2010, 11:14   #4
Member
 
Channel Ribs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompaddock View Post
Presumably you need 2 trim tabs
Hi Tom,

Trim tabs usually refers to horizontal fins, most larger engines offer a similar facility to "trim" by adjusting the angle of the motor.

And yes, as said, usually two separate systems - two keys, two sets of gauges and so forth.

In fact it is sometimes said that a twin engine installation that does not have total separation (battery and fuel for example) then the value of the double arrangement is much less, ie if one engine dies from a fuel problem and you only have one fuel tank then the 2nd is sure to follow!
__________________
Channel Ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2010, 11:15   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Mistress
Make: Tornado or Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x 115hp
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by havener View Post
Two throttles, that way you can run one astern and one forward to turn on the spot. In fact, even with twin inboards, everything should be duplicated so you don't have a single point of failure, and can therefore get home on one if the other dies. The most vulnerable failure point would be a shared fuel source, obviously then contamination would affect both.

Mind you, with Castoldi jets we don't worry about things like trim tabs
Does this apply even to outboards (RNLI Style)?
T
__________________
tompaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2010, 11:17   #6
Member
 
Channel Ribs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
Trim tabs usually refers to horizontal fins, most larger engines offer a similar facility to "trim" by adjusting the angle of the motor.
This only applies to outboards.
__________________
Channel Ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2010, 11:19   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Mistress
Make: Tornado or Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x 115hp
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
This only applies to outboards.
Ah, fantastic, thanks.
I'd be interested to see how that works logistically, ie moving both throttles in tandem...
T
__________________
tompaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2010, 11:25   #8
Member
 
Channel Ribs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompaddock View Post
I'd be interested to see how that works logistically, ie moving both throttles in tandem...
The throttles are usually set up so they are very close and can be operated one-handed, it is not too hard to get them so that the same movement on each takes the engines up the rev range in parallel.
__________________
Channel Ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2010, 11:26   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Mistress
Make: Tornado or Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x 115hp
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
The throttles are usually set up so they are very close and can be operated one-handed, it is not too hard to get them so that the same movement on each takes the engines up the rev range in parallel.
Cool!
Would still like to play tho :P
Tom
__________________
tompaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2010, 11:29   #10
Member
 
Channel Ribs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompaddock View Post
Cool!
Would still like to play tho :P
Well it says in that box on the left that you have twin 115s
__________________

__________________
Channel Ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.