Old 27 October 2010, 11:38   #21

Town: Devon
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
and if we're on the subject of cool stuff you can't afford, some of the really big "fly by wire" outboards will auto synch revs & trim so the subtle differences in lever / trim switch movement are ironed out.
And actually fly by wire Verado's (and others presumably) only need two throttles for more than two engines - they synchronise all engines above a certain RPM and for manoeuvring in harbour etc they just operate the outer motors leaving the central motor(s) in neutral
Old 27 October 2010, 12:09   #22

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
So how did the Crompo Charlie boats operate all their throttles, did they have very large hands.....
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2010, 13:05   #23

Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B View Post
So how did the Crompo Charlie boats operate all their throttles, did they have very large hands.....
Ive seen a boat with five V8's on the back, they cant all have seperate controls ? must be a special electronic management system I expect, fly by wire stuff
Old 27 October 2010, 15:02   #24

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Fly by wire does make it easier to do that sort of thing. I have seen (tho' can't remember if it was in a mag or on t'net) a U-channel type thing that dropped over the top of the levers to work many as one. It was long ago enough that PT was a very expensive option, and "anti knock into gear accidentally" catches hadn't been invented so probably explains how they got round that! Also throttle cables can be run in paralell (e.g fly + inside bridges) so I'm sure it's not beyond the wit of man to allow independant control at low RPM & have a "pickup" on one lever that grabs another engine's cable on the way past.

Back to Tom's original question, most OB side mount throttles are designed so that the "T" of the top of the lever will line up nicely if two are mounted back to back, so even small handed people can grab the two together. Dropping into gear should only really be done individually in that kind of setup anyway. and is nigh on impossible to do two at once with the catches. Twin setups are not uncommon on Boston Whalers, thay have a forum all of their own, I'm sure a trawl of that will give plenty of pics to see examples.

Synching trim on older engines can be as simple as knowing the boat and listening out for that "sweet spot" in the noise as you trim one up & down to match the other.

..and we all have dream boats! - There's guys here started with diddy sibs & worked up from there. I have owned a few preowned & in some cases unloved (No offence Al, yours was one of the better ones!) boats in ever increasing size, but as taking engines to bits is one of my other(!) hobbies I can live with "low price failures". For what it's worth, my dream rib isn't too dissimilar to yours......
Old 28 October 2010, 12:52   #25

Boat name: Mistress
Make: Tornado or Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Back to Tom's original question, most OB side mount throttles are designed so that the "T" of the top of the lever will line up nicely if two are mounted back to back, so even small handed people can grab the two together. Dropping into gear should only really be done individually in that kind of setup anyway. and is nigh on impossible to do two at once with the catches. Twin setups are not uncommon on Boston Whalers, thay have a forum all of their own, I'm sure a trawl of that will give plenty of pics to see examples.

Synching trim on older engines can be as simple as knowing the boat and listening out for that "sweet spot" in the noise as you trim one up & down to match the other.

..and we all have dream boats! - There's guys here started with diddy sibs & worked up from there. I have owned a few preowned & in some cases unloved (No offence Al, yours was one of the better ones!) boats in ever increasing size, but as taking engines to bits is one of my other(!) hobbies I can live with "low price failures". For what it's worth, my dream rib isn't too dissimilar to yours......
Awesome!
Thank you.

and yeah, am determined to get her one day.......

btw, do the rescue people still do that cool thing where they turn off and raise one engine when they're on a lee shore?

Tom
Old 28 October 2010, 15:33   #26
Redbay supporter

Town: onn de moov
Boat name: bote
Make: kevvin
Length: 4m +
Engine: jett dryve
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompaddock View Post
do the rescue people still do that cool thing where they turn off and raise one engine when they're on a lee shore?
orl de tyme

yewshully showtin

WHERS DE FKIN GEERBOKKS GONN

Wher doo I beegin?😃
wiLlfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2010, 19:20   #27

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiLlfish View Post
orl de tyme

yewshully showtin

WHERS DE FKIN GEERBOKKS GONN
arr no wot tharronabart burrabet tothers dunt
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2010, 19:21   #28
JIY

Town: Largs
Boat name: Spitfire
Make: XS850
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 200 Verado
MMSI: 235905304
Here's the throttle quadrant on my RIB.

The controls are "fly-by-wire" for twin Verados.

The three rocker switches on the left hand throttle lever control the trim on the left engine, trim on both engines and trim on the right engine.

The FBW system synchronises the engines above about 2000rpm

My commercial driving is mainly on twin engined Quinquari Humbers, with cable throttles, so quite often there is a split in the throttle position to achieve the same revs on each engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captain_Smith_Again.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	55169