Old 30 March 2013, 21:35   #1

Town: Rhode Island
Make: avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp merc
tweaking my sr 5.4.

hello, Im doing some work to my searider and am looking for some info. I noticed today that when i started to remove my stainless stael struts from the transom to floor that the trheaded rod from my floor was turning as i tried to remove screw? cant be that strong if its lose, anyone replace these? i was wondering what tehy looked like and why they would be loose. Will probally be fitting a new one before the summer and looking for any info or help. thanks
Old 31 March 2013, 19:48   #2

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Marty
Make: Avon Searider 5.4m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 85 Origin
Hi, I had the same problem with mine. What I did was dug the old thread out of the hull and drilled right through the hull. Then I had a plate fabricated in stainless steel and welded stainless steel stud bar on it. Popped in the thread from the underside with sikaflex (you could use resin also on the inside) and tightened it up with a nut inside the deck. Have the transom support and the 'A' Frame connected to it and works a treat. I've done this on both sides.
Old 31 March 2013, 23:35   #3

Town: Rhode Island
Make: avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp merc
thanks, i was going to do something like that but how did u get acess to under your hull. If i remived the stud and drilled through id have no acess to undernesth. i dont believe i could reach it from the ballast hole in the stern. Ive been thinking of adding a acess port in my floor but dont know how that would be with the flodding hull. Anyone done this befor? I am building a back seat and want to make it easy to remove and put back in. Haveing an acess port would be helpfull so i could bolt it down easily. I am so worried about my deck rotting that i try not to ever screw anything into the deck. any pics of what u have done? thanks
Old 01 April 2013, 00:55   #4

Town: groningen
Boat name: tess, searanger
Make: sailer, avon 5,4
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard, suzuki 90
Hi what you could do is remove the old thickness which the bolt goes trough. Then remove the bolt and close the hole in the floor. Then glue a 8x8 cm plate stainless with a bolt welded on in the middle with epoxy resin pug over that plate a bigger wooden plate (drill a hole for the bolt) and glue.it in also. At last strengthen the attached with fiberglass and epoxy and laminate it.that's really strong. Further more DON'T PLEASE DON'T DRILL A HOLE IN YOUR HULL IT WON'T BE STRONG ENOUGH AND IT S REALLY A BAD IDEA. DID QUITE.A FEW SR S THAT WAY.

GRTZ
BERT