Old 26 August 2014, 17:14   #1

Town: Folkestone
Length: 5m +
Tubes and materials

Didn't want to hijack anyones thread I am looking to re-tube my Tornado soon, and have been getting a few quotes with some really Positive outcomes, from members and from tornado themselves now I need to know the general opinion ... HYPALON with the retubers or PU from Tornado ??
Any opinions are well received no matter how crass they may be
Old 26 August 2014, 17:18   #2

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Hypalon all the way. [emoji106]
Old 26 August 2014, 18:17   #3

Make: Zodiac Mk I
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
Hypalon,every time
Old 26 August 2014, 18:29   #4

I'd say a heavy, commercial grade Hypalon but, what is the benefit of PU? There must be a reason Tornado are using it. Anyone know?
Old 26 August 2014, 18:46   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Hypalon certainly has the brand reputation and is generally regarded as easier to repair.

Polyurethane (PU) and PVC are often mixed up, accordingly PU has a worse reputation than perhaps it deserves. There are advantages for high volume production (thermo-welding) - although I think Tornado still glue tubes together. PU manufacturers claim it is actually more robust (to abrasion?) than hypalon although I suspect it depends how you measure it.

Most people who say Hypalon is better than PU have of course never owned PU tubes, and certainly not like for like equivalents! I find Bigmuz7's experience interesting: I am paraphrasing a little but having owned "budget" rib makers hypalon tubes (several boats) which regularly needed topped up, he moved to mass produced PU tubes from Valiant and raved about the fact he didn't need to touch them for years at a time, and they still looked good!

How do the costs compare? Because of their perceived value/reputation if the hypalon costs the same its probably the way to go for resale?

Barnetmarine do PU tubes (prices on their website) for comparison.
Old 26 August 2014, 19:38   #6

Cheers. Any major differences with repair?
Old 26 August 2014, 19:43   #7

I am told Tornado weld the PU on their tubes, I am led to believe this is a better way of production! I have been really happy with the PU tubes on the tornado until recently (they are 10 years old) and have never owned a Hypalon boat although have a lot to do with them and they have allways been really hardy!! The price difference is negligable and both workshops are 200 miles away so it's a hard one for me to decide!
Old 26 August 2014, 20:07   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyNorth View Post
Cheers. Any major differences with repair?
Hypalon is supposed to be easier to repair than PU. That said, considering all Tornado's, XS and Valiant (I think all?) are PU I don't recall many threads with people having problems patching?
Old 27 August 2014, 15:26   #9

Town: Oakland CA
Found this:

http://www.ribstore.co.uk/cms-assets...nflatable-boat

which seems to imply that the procedure, at least, is the same for hypalon and PU.

jky
Old 27 August 2014, 21:14   #10

So a pretty unanimous verdict ... Hypalon all the way??
Old 28 August 2014, 00:14   #11

Dunno. I didn't see a whole lot against PU in the above posts, but you can read it however you want to.

jky
Old 28 August 2014, 02:55   #12

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
I'd venture to guess that most of the negatives with PU is it being mixed up with PVC.

PU seems to be the primary fabric in the states. I'm pretty sure some of that is due to work place laws and the nasty solvents that are required for gluing. It seemed reasonable when I was told that when I bought my first RIB 15 years ago and went looking specifically for hypalon. The two PU tube manufacturers in the states I am familiar with and have talked to heat weld them.

Jason
Old 28 August 2014, 15:18   #13

Town: North Fambridge
Boat name: TX-760
Make: Vanguard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard
Make sure that the Company quoting for the re-tube are reputable. Also check the grade/weight/make of the fabric they are using. What warranty are they passing to you on the tube and the seams ? There is certainly nothing wrong with Polyurethane fabric ! The majority of the quotes that you will get will be in Hypalon as they would not have the machinery to thermo-weld the seams. Valiant offered a written 10 year PU Fabric AND seam warranty on their RIBs.
Old 28 August 2014, 15:39   #14

All the advice is really appreciated, thanks its such a hard choice. at the end of the day all there is in it is the material type I'm pretty much sure I'm leaning towards the factory job at the moment, either way I've got to get the trailer ready for A 600 mile trip :-s
Old 28 August 2014, 15:45   #15

Jason; not sure you can really say that PU is the standard fabric in the US. PVC and Hypalon boats still outnumber PU boats by a longshot.

As far as tube makers, possibly you're right, as Wing is the only tube manufacturer I am aware of in the US (commercially, at least; I'd guess there are guys that do one-off jobs in hypalon around somewhere.) You apparently know of one other manufacturer. I don't. Still a sample of 2 is pretty small to make that kind of a generalization regarding a worldwide market.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with welding; I'd hazard a guess that most mass produced PVC boats are welded (at least the tubes are.) The big advantage to welding is that it can be automated - machines are probably faster and don't get paid as much as a skilled tube manufacturing tech gluing up hypalon, which helps bring production costs down. The tubes they end up with seem to last as long as hand-glued tubes, so I would have to say they'd be adequate, especially for recreational use.

The only real question mark I had was longevity, and that is proving itself as time goes by. PU seems to last as well as hypalon, as far as I can tell.

Bottom line: I wouldn't shy away from a PU tubed boat simply because of the fabric or manufacturing method.

jky
Old 28 August 2014, 17:55   #16

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
I was speaking about domestic USA production. I had 7m boats on the brain when I was thinking about this and the two I have talked to use PU. Not sure if that is the standard on the Willards these days. Are there any other domestically produced RIBS?

I know the rafting world uses hypalon but I know very little about them and where their products are produced. I just get my supplies from them.

jason
Old 28 August 2014, 18:54   #17
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Engine: Yamaha 90
Once I found the right glue for my PU tubes, I'm actually really liking them. Do they weather as good as Hypalon...nah, the color fades a bit (look at a 20 year old Avon with a little elbow grease and 303 compared to a set of unpainted Wing's). But, Wing uses some thick/tough material!
Old 29 August 2014, 01:01   #18

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Engine: E-TEC 150
If the costs / logistics etc are comparable it's a no-brainer - Hypalon every time.
Whatever the technical facts might be, hypalon is widely regarded as a 'superior' material to PU/PVC and this will be reflected in the resale value of the boat.
Old 29 August 2014, 04:41   #19

Jon; That's where we differ. I don't think PU has been around long enough to make that kind of blanket statement based on anything other than "hey, it's worked for this long, and we've always done it this way; it must be the best."

Time will tell.

jky
Old 29 August 2014, 07:13   #20

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Engine: E-TEC 150
No, it hasn't but the general buyer sees hypalon as a superior material and that makes it more desirable and therefore valuable. Whether it actually is any better is irrelevant - opinion trumps fact everytime - that's why companies have marketing departments.