Old 03 February 2019, 09:20   #1

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Tube sealants

I know this has been brought up from time to time but my reason for asking is that I've seen quite a few reports where people have used different types of goop in their tubes which they highly recommended but then found themselves going through the whole process 6-12 months later.

My tubes are the zodiac pvc type and seem to have quite a few very small leaks now. Taking the tubes off my 550 pro is possible on my own but it's not something I'm wanting to keep doing ( having taken them off solo before) .

So has anyone used any particular brand which has fixed and lasted, I should probably add not just fixed the problem on a boat rarely used. I put around 450 engine hours on my boat each year and subject it to hard punishment so am looking for something that holds up well ( if there is such a product).
Old 03 February 2019, 13:43   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Ive used this to great effect the problem is getting it to where it's needed because you need to roll the boat around that's alright on a small SiB but if I where to use it on a large boat I would inject it through one of the leaks and keep doing that in all areas it's water based so does travel obviously on the top of tubes the boat has to be upside down. You need to change the air too for it to cure properly I found.
Old 03 February 2019, 14:05   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Ive used this to great effect the problem is getting it to where it's needed because you need to roll the boat around that's alright on a small SiB but if I where to use it on a large boat I would inject it through one of the leaks and keep doing that in all areas it's water based so does travel obviously on the top of tubes the boat has to be upside down. You need to change the air too for it to cure properly I found.
I think Jon's tubes will "just" slide off so its quite feasible for him to remove them, goop them, and rotate them then refit. And he'll probably need to deflate to refit so should mean he "changes the air".

Jon - have you found where the leaks are coming from? I realise you might have hook or fish spine damage (in which case perhaps considering adding wear patches?), but generally you shouldn't have lots of small leaks. Could it be your valves are needing some attention?
Old 03 February 2019, 15:31   #4

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I think Jon's tubes will "just" slide off so its quite feasible for him to remove them, goop them, and rotate them then refit. And he'll probably need to deflate to refit so should mean he "changes the air".

Jon - have you found where the leaks are coming from? I realise you might have hook or fish spine damage (in which case perhaps considering adding wear patches?), but generally you shouldn't have lots of small leaks. Could it be your valves are needing some attention?
Yep but I got the impression he would like to avoid it so offered a solution I would use or at least try I would do the same in very difficult repair areas in tube to floor interface
Old 03 February 2019, 20:16   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Yep but I got the impression he would like to avoid it so offered a solution I would use or at least try I would do the same in very difficult repair areas in tube to floor interface

Ah, I am reading it as he doesn’t mind doing it once, but if it needs redone every 6 months he will isn’t so keen! Whilst it’s technically easy to remove and refit the tubes I think it ends up being a couple of hours work.
Old 03 February 2019, 22:45   #6

Thanks for the replys ( no one mentioned a product yet ).

My boat is a 2014 and has very small holes, some smaller than pin holes. I've fixed around 20 by simply putting spots of glue over them but these yellow and look bad. The boat is kept inside out of the sun and washed with the boat wash and uv protection recommended by the dealer.

The boat was inspected by an inflatable boat repair man who works for a company which maintains The naval ribs, he said it's a fault with the pvc which he has seen before. He recommended taking it up with Zodiac who have been no help. The dealer is unfortunately 1600km away, however they did recommend I remove the tubes and post to them where they would make covers for them, which I don see as much help fixing leaks.

I've had to move from manual pumping to an electric which makes life a little easier easier. The boat doesn't flatten over night, a quick 5 mins inflate each day keeps it firm.

I'm Also considering buying a boat in full comercial survey but don't feel I can sell my boat with the issues it has unfortunately.
Old 04 February 2019, 00:38   #7

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
I used Inland Marine sealant on my old zodiac 7m tubes, about a gallon of it :-). It worked very well for two years. I did end up replacing the tubes but that was the plan, I just needed them to go a little longer.

Jason
Old 04 February 2019, 07:22   #8

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Strange that such a new boat has failed. I’d try putting some more pressure on Zodiac. At the very least you might be able to get them to supply a new set of tubes at a discounted rate which is likely to be the only real long term solution; ultimately if you’ve got a compromised set of tubes, patches and magic goop are only going to last so long.
Old 04 February 2019, 10:06   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
Thanks for the replys ( no one mentioned a product yet ).

My boat is a 2014 and has very small holes, some smaller than pin holes. I've fixed around 20 by simply putting spots of glue over them but these yellow and look bad. The boat is kept inside out of the sun and washed with the boat wash and uv protection recommended by the dealer.

The boat was inspected by an inflatable boat repair man who works for a company which maintains The naval ribs, he said it's a fault with the pvc which he has seen before. He recommended taking it up with Zodiac who have been no help. The dealer is unfortunately 1600km away, however they did recommend I remove the tubes and post to them where they would make covers for them, which I don see as much help fixing leaks.

I've had to move from manual pumping to an electric which makes life a little easier easier. The boat doesn't flatten over night, a quick 5 mins inflate each day keeps it firm.

I'm Also considering buying a boat in full comercial survey but don't feel I can sell my boat with the issues it has unfortunately.

sorry jonp just noticed the link didnt come up

https://www.marinescene.co.uk/produc...arine-sealflex
Old 04 February 2019, 23:44   #10

Thanks for the replys guys
Old 05 February 2019, 16:33   #11

Town: Fresno
Boat name: Diablo Rojo
Make: Zodiac Pro II 550
Engine: 90hp Yamaha
I might have to try that Inland Marine sealant.
Old 06 February 2019, 16:48   #12

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
. The boat was inspected by an inflatable boat repair man who works for a company which maintains The naval ribs, he said it's a fault with the pvc which he has seen before. He recommended taking it up with Zodiac who have been no help.
Pics of problems?

This type of response by “service stations” is usually out of spite, not backed by truth.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2019, 18:20   #13

Town: Isle of Lewis
Boat name: Macleod Special
Make: Ceasar Thundercat
Engine: Yamaha 70ces
RIBase
Cheap liquid latex from ebay works fine, I've used it a couple times. Smells terrible but does the job, just roll the boat around after you pour it in the valves. The photos on ebay usually have halloween faces with cuts etc. that's what it's normally used for