Old 23 November 2005, 18:25   #81
CAH

Town: San Diego
Make: Zodiac SRMN
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard 130hp
The chemical structure of Hypalon® provides outstanding resistance to the deteriorating effects of sunlight, atmospheric pollutants, and attack by atmospheric ozone. In accelerated sunlight testing, roofing membranes based on Hypalon® showed no visible surface cracking or discoloration, and no evidence of stiffening, even after exposure to 3,000,000 Langleys (units of sunlight exposure). This is the equivalent of 17 years of Arizona sunlight, or 29 years of sun in northern New York.
In addition to sunlight and ozone resistance, membranes made of Hypalon® are also resistant to a broad range of corrosive chemicals, such as some oils and grease, aliphatic solvents, and a wide range of oxidizing agents. For example, these membranes have been reported to resist vegetable oils common to restaurant locations; petroleum oils such as those found near oil refineries; many acids and bases such as sulfuric acid and sodium hydroxide found near fossil fuel facilities; Freon® used in air conditioning, and glycols, which are air conditioning by-products; and jet fuel found near airports. In actual one-sided exposure tests to these fluids, Hypalon®-based membranes performed better than or equal to competitive membranes based on plasticized PVC and EPDM.
Old 23 November 2005, 19:55   #82

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
it's not sold as polish for wooden floors, it's for terrazzo or quarry tiles.
Voi-lá...

That's the difference between Pompey & Brighton

missus sheen
Old 23 November 2005, 20:04   #83

Boat name: Thalassa
Make: RIBCRAFT
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 115 4 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAH
The chemical structure of Hypalon® provides outstanding resistance to the deteriorating effects of sunlight, atmospheric pollutants, and attack by atmospheric ozone. In accelerated sunlight testing, roofing membranes based on Hypalon® showed no visible surface cracking or discoloration, and no evidence of stiffening, even after exposure to 3,000,000 Langleys (units of sunlight exposure). This is the equivalent of 17 years of Arizona sunlight, or 29 years of sun in northern New York.
In addition to sunlight and ozone resistance, membranes made of Hypalon® are also resistant to a broad range of corrosive chemicals, such as some oils and grease, aliphatic solvents, and a wide range of oxidizing agents. For example, these membranes have been reported to resist vegetable oils common to restaurant locations; petroleum oils such as those found near oil refineries; many acids and bases such as sulfuric acid and sodium hydroxide found near fossil fuel facilities; Freon® used in air conditioning, and glycols, which are air conditioning by-products; and jet fuel found near airports. In actual one-sided exposure tests to these fluids, Hypalon®-based membranes performed better than or equal to competitive membranes based on plasticized PVC and EPDM.

So....protecting the tubes isnt necessary?
Old 23 November 2005, 20:15   #84

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopppywaters
So....protecting the tubes isnt necessary?
Well here is a quote from Pennel who make most of the stuff!!!

In all cases, it is best to wash the material with soapy water, or with diluted bleach (hypochlorite) or ORCA® nautical finish
Exceptionally, a cleaning with a solvent of Methyl Ethyl Keton can be tried, on boats used daily for example, but it is relatively sensitive because it must be homogeneous and must respect the regulations (toxicology, environmental protection) in force.
Finishing products, such as silicons or others, are not suggested.
Old 23 November 2005, 20:36   #85
CAH

Town: San Diego
Make: Zodiac SRMN
Engine: Outboard 130hp
The brief Hypalon description is only an example of how tough it can be when used in various applications. When was the last time you applied a protectant on your Hypalon roof?

I have observed many Navy Rhibs baking in the sun with no protection, no cleaning, and no floor polish, those boats still function and hold air. I’m talking about Rhibs exposed to the elements for 10 or more years. The down side is the appearance, any boat will show age at a faster rate when not protected from the elements. I prefer to protect my investment with a high quality product that is recommended by the boating industry and those who work with the fabric. Find me something better than 303 and I’ll put it to the test, we have lots of UV in SOCAL.

CAH
Old 23 November 2005, 20:41   #86

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Colour fading

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAH
The down side is the appearance, any boat will show age at a faster rate when not protected from the elements.
With regard to colour fading this is the main reason we went for grey tubes.

The bits of red are quite welcome to fade to pink.

missus
Old 17 April 2006, 19:35   #87
Now back to being Mollers!

Town: Arundel
Boat name: Mike Bravo 1
Make: Scorp
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan
Polymarine has a product and its fantastic inflatable boat finish used it myself and it buts a real glossy finish on the tubes dirt just wipes of
Just used The Polymarine I B Finish this pm on mine. Very impressed, the boat looks like new. She'd had a thorough TFR wash-down pre winter lay-up. One bottle @ £6.50 did 2 coats on the tubes and 2 on the seats.
Old 18 April 2006, 10:09   #88

Town: Cowes
Engine: 225 Opti
303 for me. Have tried a few this winter and it is far better. VERY pleased...
Old 18 April 2006, 10:30   #89

Town: River Hamble
http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....ght=rib+revive
Old 04 May 2006, 10:53   #90

Boat name: Barfly
I use CIF crème with JAVEL (the green one) for cleaning and STP UV after to protect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10500.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	18856  
Attached Images

Old 04 May 2006, 11:31   #91

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
The advice i was given was to use any product without silocone in as if a repair was needed to be done it would make it very difficult
Old 04 May 2006, 17:28   #92

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanEco
I use 3M 303 AEROSPACE PROTECTANT it is like armour all but much better. It is a true uv protectant. not slippery either.
I use it as well, when I use anything.

jky