Old 02 April 2012, 01:53   #21

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokar View Post
What I am concerned about is that I will be on the water for a week at Lake Shasta in June. 50 degrees at night and 80-90 during the day. I assume that you are familiar with lake?
If the boat is in the water, it's probably not going to be an issue. The tube in contact with water will wick excess heat from the tubes quite efficiently. Be a little careful when you pull the boat and leave it in the sun, though.

jky

Old 02 April 2012, 02:00   #22

Boat name: Uh...a kayak?
Length: 4m +
Very familiar with Shasta Lake. We used to spend at least 10 days a year there either camping or houseboating. My passion used to be wakeboarding before breaking my knee into many pieces on a tantrum. Shasta Lake is a meca for water sports. Although Trinity is pretty nice and much less crowded. We were headed to Trinity one year and it was 115 degrees outside.

Once pressure is set during the day I would just let it be for the night. Unless of course you are looking to go out to dinner and commute back to your resting place for the night via boat. We used to do one night out for dinner at the Tail Of The Whale restaurant. (Shhhh...we used to ride at night when the water was glass, but my boat had a lot of lights on it.)

Are you using a gauge to test pressure? I have been struggling with getting enough pressure into my boat to keep it from doing weird stuff. I can't imagine only 2 psi in it as a max pressure.

Are you planning on anchoring overnight, or do you have another way like putting it back on the trailer or tying it off to a houseboat? If you want advice on shore camping feel free to ask. No matter where you stay be very aware of the bears, they will roam the campgrounds in the middle of the afternoon looking for a snack.

I crossed the poison oak spraying off my list today, along with weed whacking the grass, and blowing the bazzilion leaves after the storm away. Next project will be...

Old 02 April 2012, 10:16   #23
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Wing sells the SEI valves for $30 apiece. But, that's just the valve that screws in. Not the fabric patch and the female portion to screw into.
Old 02 April 2012, 11:33   #24

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Be especially careful if you are going from sea level to Lake Shasta. You'll need to let some gas out of the tubes for sure. Once you are there just get the pressure right in the afternoon sun in the water and then only let some gas out once you pull it onto the trailer to go home (immediately too, the tubes will get hot fast)
Old 02 April 2012, 13:08   #25
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Engine: Yamaha 90
Yep. I popped a chamber driving my rib home after purchase. Left Oregon and it was 40 degrees that morning. Tubes were hanging off the hull. Got past Shasta and stopped for lunch. It had warmed up to 76. 6 out 7 chambers were rock hard, one had burst.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120402_100800.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	66731
Old 02 April 2012, 20:22   #26

Town: Eureka,CA
Make: HBI
Engine: 115hp yamaha o/b
Thanks for the info guys. I originally bought the boat from a dive master in Grants Pass and he made sure I deflated the tubes down to less than a pound. The tallest summit between here and there is about 3500' and the tubes survived without any problem. Of the siskyous will be about 2000' taller and I'll stop at the brake check area to check the tubes.

Yes I do check the tubes with a quage on a regular basis. Usually during the hottest part of the day. The highest I have seen them is 3lbs and it seemed that they were rock hard.

If you look at my album and you'll see the colors I went to to help any air/temp problems.

We'll tie off to the houseboat while we are on the lake and one of the nights, we'll probably go to the tail.

Hey jyasaki, I was at a Giants game last year against the Dodgers and I saw a rib on the the water. Was that you and how was the view of the big screen?

Once again, thanks for the info guys.

Rokar
Old 03 April 2012, 11:13   #27

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokar View Post
Hey jyasaki, I was at a Giants game last year against the Dodgers and I saw a rib on the the water. Was that you and how was the view of the big screen?
Not me, man. I'm more a hockey fan. Haven't been to a pro baseball, football, or basketball game in about 25 years. Been about a week for the Sharks, though (here's hoping they squeak into the playoffs.)

I personally find that the ambient temp is the thing you need to worry about; though altitude certainly does have an effect. Went from the Bay Area to Lake Tahoe one hot summer day, and found myself pulling over about every half hour to adjust pressure. I usually adjust the tubes so they just hold shape, and then watch the mirrors to make sure they have a bit of bounce to them while driving (an inch or two.) No bounce means a stop to reduce pressure (unless the air temp and/or altitude is on its way down.)

jky
Old 03 April 2012, 14:18   #28

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
I deflate mine as much as possible on the trailer. Just barely more pressure than flapping. I use a scuba tank with adapter to refill at my destination.
Old 03 April 2012, 22:26   #29

Thanks again for the info guys. I will take all the info to heart and apply it.

Rokar
Old 11 August 2012, 13:39   #30

Shasta trip

Hi guys, just remembered that i never got around to let you know how the Shasta trip went.

Fantastic! Most of a week on a houseboat and rib! Kinda hard to beat.

The trip over, I had to stop 3 times to let air out of the tubes. The mountains between Medford and Ashland are over 4000' and in the 70's.

Once at Shasta, we had 100+ weather and did not have adjust tube pressure after the initial settings.

The boat performed great the whole trip but I did find out that a 115 yammie 2stroke does not like to troll. You know that feeling you get when you advance the throttle and she spits and coughs?

Thanks for all the help.

RRR