Old 02 April 2012, 05:53   #21

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokar View Post
What I am concerned about is that I will be on the water for a week at Lake Shasta in June. 50 degrees at night and 80-90 during the day. I assume that you are familiar with lake?
If the boat is in the water, it's probably not going to be an issue. The tube in contact with water will wick excess heat from the tubes quite efficiently. Be a little careful when you pull the boat and leave it in the sun, though.

jky
Old 02 April 2012, 06:00   #22

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Very familiar with Shasta Lake. We used to spend at least 10 days a year there either camping or houseboating. My passion used to be wakeboarding before breaking my knee into many pieces on a tantrum. Shasta Lake is a meca for water sports. Although Trinity is pretty nice and much less crowded. We were headed to Trinity one year and it was 115 degrees outside.

Once pressure is set during the day I would just let it be for the night. Unless of course you are looking to go out to dinner and commute back to your resting place for the night via boat. We used to do one night out for dinner at the Tail Of The Whale restaurant. (Shhhh...we used to ride at night when the water was glass, but my boat had a lot of lights on it.)

Are you using a gauge to test pressure? I have been struggling with getting enough pressure into my boat to keep it from doing weird stuff. I can't imagine only 2 psi in it as a max pressure.

Are you planning on anchoring overnight, or do you have another way like putting it back on the trailer or tying it off to a houseboat? If you want advice on shore camping feel free to ask. No matter where you stay be very aware of the bears, they will roam the campgrounds in the middle of the afternoon looking for a snack.

I crossed the poison oak spraying off my list today, along with weed whacking the grass, and blowing the bazzilion leaves after the storm away. Next project will be...
Old 02 April 2012, 14:16   #23
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Wing sells the SEI valves for $30 apiece. But, that's just the valve that screws in. Not the fabric patch and the female portion to screw into.
Old 02 April 2012, 15:33   #24

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Be especially careful if you are going from sea level to Lake Shasta. You'll need to let some gas out of the tubes for sure. Once you are there just get the pressure right in the afternoon sun in the water and then only let some gas out once you pull it onto the trailer to go home (immediately too, the tubes will get hot fast)
Old 02 April 2012, 17:08   #25
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Engine: Yamaha 90
Yep. I popped a chamber driving my rib home after purchase. Left Oregon and it was 40 degrees that morning. Tubes were hanging off the hull. Got past Shasta and stopped for lunch. It had warmed up to 76. 6 out 7 chambers were rock hard, one had burst.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120402_100800.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	66731
Old 03 April 2012, 00:22   #26

Town: Eureka,CA
Make: HBI
Engine: 115hp yamaha o/b
Thanks for the info guys. I originally bought the boat from a dive master in Grants Pass and he made sure I deflated the tubes down to less than a pound. The tallest summit between here and there is about 3500' and the tubes survived without any problem. Of the siskyous will be about 2000' taller and I'll stop at the brake check area to check the tubes.

Yes I do check the tubes with a quage on a regular basis. Usually during the hottest part of the day. The highest I have seen them is 3lbs and it seemed that they were rock hard.

If you look at my album and you'll see the colors I went to to help any air/temp problems.

We'll tie off to the houseboat while we are on the lake and one of the nights, we'll probably go to the tail.

Hey jyasaki, I was at a Giants game last year against the Dodgers and I saw a rib on the the water. Was that you and how was the view of the big screen?

Once again, thanks for the info guys.

Rokar
Old 03 April 2012, 15:13   #27

Quote:
Hey jyasaki, I was at a Giants game last year against the Dodgers and I saw a rib on the the water. Was that you and how was the view of the big screen?
Not me, man. I'm more a hockey fan. Haven't been to a pro baseball, football, or basketball game in about 25 years. Been about a week for the Sharks, though (here's hoping they squeak into the playoffs.)

I personally find that the ambient temp is the thing you need to worry about; though altitude certainly does have an effect. Went from the Bay Area to Lake Tahoe one hot summer day, and found myself pulling over about every half hour to adjust pressure. I usually adjust the tubes so they just hold shape, and then watch the mirrors to make sure they have a bit of bounce to them while driving (an inch or two.) No bounce means a stop to reduce pressure (unless the air temp and/or altitude is on its way down.)

jky
Old 03 April 2012, 18:18   #28

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
I deflate mine as much as possible on the trailer. Just barely more pressure than flapping. I use a scuba tank with adapter to refill at my destination.
Old 04 April 2012, 02:26   #29

Thanks again for the info guys. I will take all the info to heart and apply it.

Rokar
Old 11 August 2012, 17:39   #30

Shasta trip

Hi guys, just remembered that i never got around to let you know how the Shasta trip went.

Fantastic! Most of a week on a houseboat and rib! Kinda hard to beat.

The trip over, I had to stop 3 times to let air out of the tubes. The mountains between Medford and Ashland are over 4000' and in the 70's.

Once at Shasta, we had 100+ weather and did not have adjust tube pressure after the initial settings.

The boat performed great the whole trip but I did find out that a 115 yammie 2stroke does not like to troll. You know that feeling you get when you advance the throttle and she spits and coughs?

Thanks for all the help.

RRR
Old 11 August 2012, 22:14   #31

Quote:
but I did find out that a 115 yammie 2stroke does not like to troll. You know that feeling you get when you advance the throttle and she spits and coughs?
Common with a lot of OB offshore fishing boats, I think. They make something called a trolling plate so you can higher power settings without increasing speed.

Glad your trip went well.

jky
Old 12 August 2012, 04:10   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Common with a lot of OB offshore fishing boats, I think. They make something called a trolling plate so you can higher power settings without increasing speed.

Glad your trip went well.

jky
A sea anchor (Parachute) or even a bucket works to slow the boat down too.

We camped at Arbuckle Flat a month ago and had a good time

I hadn't stepped on a wakeboard since I broke my leg throwing a tantrum, many years ago. Riding came right back, like I never stopped riding. Not that I was throwing any inverts though, and especially not behind a SIB.

Adeline popped right out of the water and started wakeboarding her first try.

Bully Hill Mine. Pretty cool to visit, but keep in mind it is a toxic waste area.

Pit Arm of Shasta lake. Hence all the trees. This was pretty far up river, but still a long way from where the rapids started.

Headed home...the boat was packed pretty full of camping gear, and bodies.

I rigged a pulley system and we put our food high up in a tree, including the cooler. Good thing as early one morning my friend took the boat fishing, and when he returned there were bear prints on the shore. We saw tons of wildlife, and enjoyed a short weekend swimming and hiking around the lake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wakeboarding.jpg
Views:	5889
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	71119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Adeline.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	71120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bully Hill Mine.jpg
Views:	975
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	71121   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pit Arm.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	71122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Going home.jpg
Views:	4449
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	71123  

Old 12 August 2012, 19:35   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
A sea anchor (Parachute) or even a bucket works to slow the boat down too.
Runs the risk of fouling the trolling line.

jky
Old 12 August 2012, 22:56   #34

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
All this talk of altitude makes of think of the (to me) useless mixture controls on my 1970s Johnson aux. Never used them in "sunny" Scotland, but there you have it. It being altitude...
Old 13 August 2012, 05:25   #35

Quote:
Runs the risk of fouling the trolling line.

jky
*shrugs* I learned it from a fisherman camped next to us at Shasta Lake many years ago. He ran two buckets.

This thread has good information regarding the cheap bucket method, with photos.
SLAMMER'S TROLLING BUCKET SET UP

Boat Brakes: For Trolling, Drift Fishing or Emergency Use

Google "trolling brakes" for even more info.
Old 13 August 2012, 21:40   #36

Pretty short line. Most parachute type sea anchors I've seen are deployed on something about 10 times as long.

Plus, I don't hook-and-line, so what do I know about trolling?

Off topic: Pete: Next Albion trip is Sept 14-16.

jky
Old 13 August 2012, 21:46   #37

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Great pics Pete and great weather by the looks of it too. I would be a bit wary of camping were bears are concerned though I hope you had your Magnum .44 with you ... just in case
Old 14 August 2012, 00:12   #38

Bears are a possibility just about anywhere in the US you'd want to camp (and quite a few you wouldn't, though that wouldn't be because of bears.)

Reports have recently come in of bears in residential areas in (from memory here): San Diego, Anaheim, Santa Rosa, and I think Santa Barbara.

Not a real big deal as long as you take precautions (like Pete, hanging food from an outer point of a tree limb.) They'd rather flee than fight for the most part, unless it's a mom and cubs (which can be a decidedly tricky scenario.)

jky
Old 14 August 2012, 00:34   #39

Quote:
Pretty short line. Most parachute type sea anchors I've seen are deployed on something about 10 times as long.

Plus, I don't hook-and-line, so what do I know about trolling?

Off topic: Pete: Next Albion trip is Sept 14-16.

jky
The buckets are on a short leash so to speak. As I said I saw a fisherman with a similar set up.

I fly fish on high mountain streams only. Only have three fly rods and nothing else. Plus I catch and release unless the fish gets injured.

Wrong dates on the Albion trip it is the 23rd thru the 26th with North Coast Divers LOL Unfortunately my folks are having a party for their 50th anniversary on Saturday argg. Going up Thursday till Saturday morning. Always a good time with unreal food! Fresh fish, crab, uni, sea weed, and of course salads, fruits and other meats.

Might be able to join up for that trip, but I would be bringing at least a few folks for dive buddies?? Okay I use them for towing the boat over the mountains too.

Bears? Bah, I have had them sniff my head on the McCloud arm of Shasta Lake while trying to sleep. They are only interested in people for the food. At least our cute brown bears. Take the food out of the equation, and let them go about their business. "Feed a bear, kill a bear".
Old 14 August 2012, 23:14   #40

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280
All this talk of altitude makes of think of the (to me) useless mixture controls on my 1970s Johnson aux. Never used them in "sunny" Scotland, but there you have it. It being altitude...
So mine wasn't the only one that had the useless mixture control