Old 24 July 2005, 06:24   #41

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Paul, I think you'll find that Drew and Jan command great respect for their achievements. Interestingly, the race results from Ramsgate (F200) contradict this anecdotal evidence!

Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2005, 06:25   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower
In a head sea, it's all about how much punishment us humans can take before we back off.
Same in a bigger boat Andy, it's just that the bigger the boat, the faster you go before reaching that limit.

Quote:
I've tried to go flat out as everyone suggests
Who's suggested that... not in a following sea, I hope!

Quote:
it seems to work over some waves and not over others, I had a nasty stuff and ended up with a wheel shaped bruise on my chest. I just won't do it anymore, too dangerous!
Andy, you need to learn a bit of throttle control. Going "flat out" everywhere will inevitably get you into trouble, as you've got the bruises to prove. A BWM will need some careful driving as the bow doesn't ride particularly high.

Old 24 July 2005, 06:39   #43

Town: london
Make: own
Length: 10m +
Engine: 800hp volvo diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
I thought the twin Yanmar model with twin Jets represented good value. Any Chance of a trial when I get back from the Norf C. Also whats the smallest of your bots you could put a diesel jet combination on?
give us a shout when your back on dry land and we would be more than happy to let you have a trial, we can do the combo from the 6m up
Old 24 July 2005, 12:43   #44

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Who's suggested that... not in a following sea, I hope!

Andy, you need to learn a bit of throttle control. Going "flat out" everywhere will inevitably get you into trouble, as you've got the bruises to prove. A BWM will need some careful driving as the bow doesn't ride particularly high.
Someone mentioned it and I guess in some conditions it would work, but in a bigger and a faster RIB, cast your memory back to treasure hunt last year when we went from Yarmouth to Ryde, not the biggest of following sea's I've been in but the more powerful RIBs handled it better. One noticable RIB was Mindit's, his RIB isn't any bigger that mine but with a 115 on the back and more weight at the back was able to hop across the top of the waves.

As for your second comment, I find it a little condescending! I have learnt throttle control and am still learning. I admit to not having taken any formal training apart from my VHF, but think that experience gained by ones self and learning from forums and others is very important. But sometimes you have to explore the limilts of your equipement in different conditions to see how it behaves. Putting extra weight at the rear has had the effect of making the bow respond more to the trim effect of the outboard and as such made my package more adaptable in all conditions.

Have you never made a throttle control mistake Richard?
Old 24 July 2005, 12:49   #45

Quote:
cast your memory back to treasure hunt last year when we went from Yarmouth to Ryde, not the biggest of following sea's I've been in but the more powerful RIBs handled it better...
Yeh, good example.
Quote:
As for your second comment, I find it a little condescending!
Please don't take it that way, sorry!
Quote:
Have you never made a throttle control mistake Richard?
What do you reckon - 'course I have, almost every other wave on some days!
Old 24 July 2005, 13:05   #46

I'm sure it was in the wording of your post Richard.....Just checking you were still human .
Old 24 July 2005, 14:59   #47

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Length: 8m +
Engine: GM Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul tilley
the latest generation of buzzis may be hard boats but i think drew langdon regularly beats the hard boats in his buzzi RIB and is leading his class .

And that couldn't possibly happen if the toobs were removed!
Old 24 July 2005, 17:15   #48

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam HPDI 250
"grayswish" was always hard work above 40knts. I seam to remember breaking the 50mph (43.someit knots i think [it's late]) barrier on the GPS once or twice, but very hard to control chine walking at this speed. There was some play in the cable steering, and i often thought that boat should have had hydrulic steering fitted.

A great boat with superb sea keeping for it's size, but yes as several have commented, BWM's do stuff "easier than others" in a following sea. My Osprey, by comparism is very diffacult to stuff.
Old 24 July 2005, 19:54   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
There was some play in the cable steering, and i often thought that boat should have had hydrulic steering fitted.
I thought that Daniel, so I fitted it.........Didn't help!! It is nicer to handle with hydraulic and I don't regret fitting it.

Andy
Old 25 July 2005, 12:47   #50

Town: St Albans
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: 140 Suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
You haven't got yours yet!You did! http://www.boatmadforum.co.uk/member...nfo&userid=457

Truth is that different designs of RIB use the tube in different ways, and you need to know why you want/need the tube. For high speed, keep the tube clear of the water when planing. For stability at rest (diving/fishing etc), you need at tube that's touching or in the water at rest. But if your RIB depends on the tube inflation to keep afloat, that's bad design. And if your tube is in the water at speed, you will have very poor high speed handling. I suspect that many RIB owners who think that their craft suffer from chine walking at speed actually suffer from tube-bounce. Good hull design will give you all the high speed and rough weather capabilities that either a RIB or non-tubed hard boat needs, but the tubes will give you one thing that it's difficult to get without, and that's buoyancy when swamped, making RIBs safe in conditions where this a possibility.
Richard
Interested in the tube bounce idea. I'm getting what appears to be chine walk at WOT . Tried the obvious thing.... trimming and weight distribution without much success. Other than lighten the load, I guess there is nothing else to try
Would welcome views
Regards
Andrew