Old 10 March 2008, 22:44   #1

Town: Cork
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard diesel
Trouble with Medline 111

People might remember me from some time ago when I was having trouble with a Medline 111 bought from Cambrian Boats. It has taken nearly 18 months but eventually matters have been settled. Zodiac would not deal with me until I initiated Court proceedings against them. They then entered into a settlement which they did not honour. I had to go back and take further Court Proceedings against Zodiac and wait until the court date before they settled again. I must admit the settlement is what I was looking for from the outset which is the removal of the boat and the refund of my money. This I succeeded in donig but I was left at a slight loss due to the fact that they refused to pay all my Court Costs and in the English system these fees are paid up front and are very expensive. Cambrian Boats were of no help to me so I had to go against two companies, Cambrian Boats being the sellilng agents and Zodiac being the manufacturers. Zodiac settled under a Tomlin Order in Cardiff Crown Court. Zodiacs Solicitors put severe pressure on me to make me drop the case treatning to go after me for costs and saying that I would not be successful. They drove my legal costs way up hoping I would not be able to follow them as Solicitors have to be paid up front.

Having Marine Surveys daming reports including their own marine expert saying the boat was a disgrace and should just be taken back they still continued to fight the matter driving costs up.

Medline 111 dont touch....
Old 11 March 2008, 00:38   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Glad you got your result. Now it's all over how about an update and more photos etc - may help others avoid a nasty suprise!!!
Old 11 March 2008, 19:59   #3

Have photos saves on computer will try to post them later on. Not very good with technology but will try my best.
Old 12 March 2008, 23:42   #4

Thank god I am rid of the Zodiac Medline 111 the worst boat I have ever owned. I am awaiting the arrival of my new 8.6 cobra with 315 yamaha diesel engine arriving middle of May.
Old 13 March 2008, 00:22   #5

Sounds interesting - keep us updated!!!
Old 13 March 2008, 00:43   #6

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Zodiac... You gotta pay to play... and then some...

You know, it would be especially helpful if you were to post some of Zodiac's own advertising extolling the wonderful quality of their boat, and then, through pictures and your own unfortunate past experience, refute that claim. It really sucks to deal with a manufacturer, any manufacturer, who makes frequent claims about the quality of their product, then refuses to cooperate when problems arise with the consumer who bought one based on their claims of "excellence." Sucks to be you, I wish you much better luck with your next boat.
Old 13 March 2008, 22:19   #7

i think people shoud know the way zodiac treat their customers will post some of my correspondence with zodiac later on but first a bit of background. Was getting ready to pour petrol into zodiac with my two kids standing on marina next to boat. Opened fuel cap on boat. Cap started arking luckoly it didnt go boom with kids standing there. Zodiacs excuse was there was a nutral wired back to a live terminal. Wouldnt be a lot of good to me and my kids. This was the start of a long story. Plenty more to come on this.
Old 14 March 2008, 02:26   #8

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Put the wood to them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie View Post
i think people shoud know the way zodiac treat their customers will post some of my correspondence with zodiac later on but first a bit of background. Was getting ready to pour petrol into zodiac with my two kids standing on marina next to boat. Opened fuel cap on boat. Cap started arking luckoly it didnt go boom with kids standing there. Zodiacs excuse was there was a nutral wired back to a live terminal. Wouldnt be a lot of good to me and my kids. This was the start of a long story. Plenty more to come on this.
It's ridiculous that a company's quality control would have missed something that could be so inherently dangerous, I would be absolutely incensed if my daughter was put to such risk due to some manufacturers shabby build quality, and that's what that is, shabby build quality. I can't think of anything more dangerous than electrical arcs while fueling, something like that over here would start a total recall on the manufacturers boats...
Old 14 March 2008, 02:39   #9

Yes that's incredible - people think that buying a top brand guarantees you quuality - not always the case!!!
Old 14 March 2008, 09:13   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Did you report the dangerous occurance to the MAIB?
Old 14 March 2008, 20:25   #11

hi polwart did not know about MAIB what does it stand for.
Old 14 March 2008, 20:45   #12
JIY

Town: Largs
Boat name: Spitfire
Make: XS850
Engine: 2 x 200 Verado
MMSI: 235905304
Marine Accident Investigation Branch:

http://www.maib.gov.uk/home/index.cfm

I think Polwart is right in thinking that they will be interested in your problems.
Old 14 March 2008, 20:54   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie View Post
hi polwart did not know about MAIB what does it stand for.
speedie - I hadn't realised you are in southern ireland and therefore outwith their jurisdiction. MAIB stands for Marine Accident Investigation Branch and is the government department responsible for investigating accidents in UK waters or involving UK vessels. As well as actual accidents they investigate dangerous occurances. They do seem to take particular interest in events with pleasure craft if there is a possible design/production problem.

Not sure who the Irish Equivalent is and if they take an interest in pleasure craft.
Old 14 March 2008, 20:57   #14

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
A live connection to your petrol tank!
Fekk me, that's about the best one I've heard.

Professionals....tut, tut.