Old 15 August 2010, 13:55   #1

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Tornado
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp Suzuki
Trouble filling her up !

I have had my Ribcraft about 6 months and it has always been very difficult to fill. Anything other than a very slow fill from the fuel pump and it spits lots of fuel back at you and all over the floor.
I have taken the fill pipe and vent pipe off, fill pipe and into the tank are totally clear. The vent pipe into the tank, when I shine a torch down it, I cant see into the tank, it looks like it has a 90 degree elbow on the end from what I can make out. When i poke a plastic zip tie down it, it feels like it is almost pushing against a small butterly valve and then goes through into the tank. This is also a simular feel when you blow down the vent pipe, slight resistance then it goes. Don't really want to suck (the direction of flow when you are filling) as I don't really want a lung full of petrol fumes.

Does anyone have any history of these built in fuel tanks or knowledge of what if anything is fitted on the end of the vent connection inside the tank ? !
Many thanks for any help you can give
Old 15 August 2010, 14:32   #2

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Hi sarah I have a 585 with internal and I have never had any problems filling her up either at the pump with the trailer or from jerries! can I suggest you phone jace at Ribcraft as I have always found them very receptive to calls and he will discuss the issue with you.
Hope this helps.

J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2010, 15:21   #3

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
I don't know anything about Ribcrafts but as a general principle it doesn't need a very large vent pipe in any fuel system to easily pass enough air to keep up with the 30-40L per minute that a forecourt pump will typically deliver, so if it is spitting back it sounds like there is a problem with a restriction somewhere.

I would guess maybe there is some sort of valve on the tank end of the pipe to prevent fuel spitting back up the vent in rough weather, but as suggested Ribcraft would be able to tell you what is in there, whether you can get at it may be another matter.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2010, 16:09   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Whenever we brim our boat to the top it is unavoidable that a ton of fuel comes out, and continues to come out for a couple of minutes afterwards as the boat changes position from that in which it was filled up in. The reason for this on our boat is because the vent is fitted below the filler, thereby, the rising fuel reaches this first before reaching the top of the filler pipe and activating the pump cutout. Is this what you have, because you either have to live with it or change the positions or get an integrated one.

Something is seriously awry if it spews constantly even when not brimmed.
Old 15 August 2010, 16:36   #5

Town: Morecambe
Boat name: Various
Make: Various
Length: 10m +
Engine: Various
I have a 9m RC with twin 50g tanks, and get the same problem every other time I fill up, tends to be some type of air / fuel lock in the vent pipe, every time I fill up I blow down the vent tubes to clear them and this solves the problem, annoying I know but it saves getting the blow back of fuel and keeps the deck clear of petrol.
Old 15 August 2010, 17:54   #6

This spits back when it is no where near full, you can hear a gurgle just before hand so if you are really quick and on the ball you can avoid it. The fuel flap on the side of the console has the filler and breather connections built into one (so lifting the flap opens both the breather and filler), with the two seperate hoses comming off the back inside the console going down (through two seperate rubber hoses)on to two seperate connections on the built in fuel tank. Think I will definately be on the phone to Ribcraft in the morning for some more advice. Thanks one and all for your input.
Old 15 August 2010, 20:16   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Sounds like you have an anti-siphon device in there, possible malfunctioning/stuck, blocking the venting tank fumes and causing some back pressure.

Worth a look.
Old 16 August 2010, 10:54   #8

Length: 6m +
Just hold the nozzle aiming at the opening. That works.
Old 16 August 2010, 10:56   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprayblond View Post
Just hold the nozzle aiming at the opening. That works.
Naughty
Old 16 August 2010, 12:25   #10

Town: Lymington
Boat name: rib-it
Make: Scopion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell View Post
I have a 9m RC with twin 50g tanks, and get the same problem every other time I fill up, tends to be some type of air / fuel lock in the vent pipe, every time I fill up I blow down the vent tubes to clear them and this solves the problem, annoying I know but it saves getting the blow back of fuel and keeps the deck clear of petrol.
Had a Ballistic with the same problem doing the above solved the problem for me but can't tell you why.

www.rib-it.com
simonnud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2010, 13:31   #11

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Sarah
phone Jace at Ribcraft and get them involved, I have always found them very helpful and anxious to help. You will get to the bottom of your issue quicker and get back on the water sooner.

J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2010, 19:56   #12
pvm

Town: wakefield
Make: ribcraft
Engine: 250 suzuki
My ribcraft 7.5 does exactly what you describe...but never does it at all if the bow is high up.

So I either fill it up at a garage on a slope (not particularly difficult on Shetland or the Outer Hebrides) or unhook it and raise up the jockey wheel.

pvm
Old 16 August 2010, 21:21   #13

Town: Melbourne
Make: Vipermax
Engine: Suzuki DF140
I have the same problem if the hose nozzle is slightly out of alignment with the filling tube. If the alignment is straight there is no problem.

I wondered if there was some swirly kind of vortex created by the petrol flow that created a resistance or partial blockage down the tube.

Or that might be total fluid dynamics nonsense!
Old 16 August 2010, 21:44   #14

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Naughty
Just don't type it into Google

Uh oh I hear the whirr of a RIBnet bilge pump firing up

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2010, 23:00   #15

Town: telford
Make: shakespeare
Engine: 150 optimax
the wifes merc is a sod to fill unless you position the filler a couple of inches out from where it wants to be, the disco can be the same, try moveing the filler nozzle out towards you to ease the back pressure,
Old 16 August 2010, 23:21   #16

Town: Fareham
Just to mention the obvious as no one else has:

Have you checked that the fuel hose from the filler to the tank isn't kinked in any way? It's easy for the pipe to crush down as it goes though bends thus creating a pinch point for fuel to back up.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2010, 02:02   #17

Town: Houston, TX
Boat name: Lady Ashley
Make: Avon SR 5.4
Engine: 70 Merc 2S
If you have a screen at the vent end check to see if it is clean. The hose could be clean but the vent could keep air from flowing. It definately sounds like a venting issue. If the vent is clean at the terminal end, check the fitting at the tank end. The reason parking on a slope helps is because you are letting air flow easier and preventing a vacuum effect.
Old 18 August 2010, 15:38   #18

Just thought I would update.......
Spoken to Ribcraft today, There should not be ANY restriction or elbow inside the tank on the vent connection. I can definately see somthing blocking the end. I will investigate further and update you with whatever I find to be the restriction.........................
Old 22 August 2010, 11:53   #19

Well now I'm really frustrated !
Had a REALLY close look and investigation (Its very tricky to get to inside the front main console). Definately looks to me as if under constuction the vent pipe would have been put through a hole drilled on top of the tank and then welded round to seal it. This pipe protrudes approx 30- 40mm into the tank. This end inside the tank looks like it has been bent over at some point (Possibly since it was manufactured ?) I have no idea how to either cut off or unblock this.
Acess is only through the fill connection (50mm opening 150mm standing up from the tank)
Can only just about see in to the tank with a torch and a dentist style inspection mirror.
I did consider drilling down through the breather pipe with a long drill to drill out this bend or kink, but thr prospect of empying a 270 litre fuel tank and getting it to a point I am 100% happy I not just about to blow myself up isn't very appealing.

Any other thoughts or ideas out there ?
Old 22 August 2010, 12:12   #20

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahscottiedog View Post
Any other thoughts or ideas out there ?
Chuck it back at Ribcraft. I'm sure they'll sort it, as their customer service is reputedly, the best in the industry.