Old 01 August 2007, 22:16   #1

Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Billy Whizz II
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki 300
Trip to Scillies - advice needed

Hi,

Apologies for dropping off face of the earth shortly after my first post, esp to those who answered my questions. Work related issues came up that dragged me off to other side of the world at v short notice.

Anyway, am off on family holidays to Scilly Isles 21 August. Keen to get boat over there. I have booked it a berth on the ferry, but not sure I like the idea of my pride and joy being swung around by those cranes!

Clearly the favoured option is to take the boat across under its own steam, ideally from Littlehampton where it is based, It would make an interesting 2 - 3 day journey. Could trailer it to Cornwall and make the run from Newlyn or somewhere. Not sure of best option.

Clearly the problem is getting it back if the sea picks up. I can't hang around waiting for weather. The ferry takes it on its trailer so one way ticket is not an easy option. Does anyone know if I could leave it, safely moored out there for as long as the weather is not right, then pick it up in a weather window.

Wouldn't mind a buddy boat either! Anyone keen?

Mark
Old 02 August 2007, 14:37   #2

Town: Hayle, Kernow
Boat name: Spare RIB
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Yam Outboard
Mark
Its only 45nm from PZ to the Scillies although it can be quite exciting if the weather turns..

You can leave your trailer and vehicle in the Heliport car park, only a 2 min drive from PZ slip.

Call the appropriate harbour master about moorings..

If you need to leave your boat, you can fly to collect it from:

Gatwick to Newquay www.airsouthwest.co.uk

and Newquay to St. Marys http://www.islesofscilly-travel.co.uk/index_skybus.htm

If you want to hook up for a trip then it would be worth posting in http://forum.cornwall247.co.uk/ for a quick reply...

Shaggy
Old 02 August 2007, 21:35   #3

Thanks Shaggy,

I will post a message on Cornwall247, see what I can get.

If I am making the run from Penzance to Scilly, any particular weather I want to be particularly aware of, apart from the obvious big wind & sea? What wind tends to put the biggest lump into the water?

I know it is not a huge distance from the mainland, but something about the scillies always seems so very far away!

I have taken the precaution of booking wife and smaller children onto the plane to St Mary so happy to launch into a challenging, if not unpleasant sea.

Mark
Old 03 August 2007, 03:17   #4

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBarker View Post
Thanks Shaggy,

I will post a message on Cornwall247, see what I can get.

If I am making the run from Penzance to Scilly, any particular weather I want to be particularly aware of, apart from the obvious big wind & sea? What wind tends to put the biggest lump into the water?

I know it is not a huge distance from the mainland, but something about the scillies always seems so very far away!

I have taken the precaution of booking wife and smaller children onto the plane to St Mary so happy to launch into a challenging, if not unpleasant sea.

Mark
Anything that includes 'wind'. Seriously, when you break Lands End you are in open sea for 25Nm with no protection from any land until you reach the islands. It can get pretty lumpy. Anything from the East is not nice, it builds up channel and becomes uncomfortable by the time it gets here. We tend not to go if anything over 10mph is forecast.

Just noticed that you have a 9m boat with 600hp. You should have no probs with that unless the weather turns really crappy.
Old 03 August 2007, 03:35   #5

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
waves are your friend...

I have a similar sized boat... we go out in all kinds of weather, the bigger the waves get, the slower we get there.... we always make our destination... course we don't go out when it's awful.. unless it's a beer run!
Seriously, with that size boat you should be able to handle some serious wave action...
Old 03 August 2007, 09:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla View Post
Seriously, with that size boat you should be able to handle some serious wave action...
I have no doubt about the boats ability...

But after a while a really heavy sea ceases to be fun. She was happily ploughing through some pretty lumpy sea off Selsey Bill at the end of the July Monsoons, making a fairly steady 30kts through 4 - 6 foot waves (peak to trough) from all directions. We certainly got wetter from the rain than the Sea.

I reckon that when the buoys are showing more than 1.2m then I would rather not make the crossing - does that make me a chicken in a boat of this size? I have only had her a few weeks so really haven't got to know her yet.

Mark
Old 03 August 2007, 10:51   #7

Town: Hayle, Kernow
Boat name: Spare RIB
Make: Narwhal
Engine: 130 Yam Outboard
Mollers is right Mark..

You will be exposed to the Atlantic swells when you clear Lands End.. Not only that, this is where the English Channel Meets the Atlantic so that can produce some interesting wave action with or with out the wind..

Having said that when we crossed last summer it was really glassy like a mill pond and a fantastic trip, also just before Christmas for a day trip..

Really depends on the weather but given the size of your vessel i really wouldn't worry too much but you need to have confidence in your boat to make the trip..

Here's what its like if you get the weather...

[YOUTUBE]MPiMefPvhKY[/YOUTUBE]
Old 03 August 2007, 13:49   #8

Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Engine: Yam 2st 90
Mark:

Pm me for my phone number (or email etc) and you can call me to see what the weather is like in the few days running up to your estimated departure. With a boat that big you should easily be able to make it here. Try calling Bryher Boat Services for advice as they do the run to Penzance in their Diesel jetrib Cyclone when fog stops flying. (I've been on that journey in quite a serious sea).

Drop by for a beer if you have time - I live on Tresco (Old Grimsby side).

Regards
Ian
Old 03 August 2007, 19:32   #9

Poisonally, it would take a lot of sea to stop me making the trip in a rig such as yours. We did it last July in 4/6ft peaking at 8+ at times. You just need to drive accordingly. Bear off a bit if the sea is coming on to you at an uncomfortable angle and work the throttle to drive her up the waves and back off sightly as you roll over the top to avoid slamming and air. Air is fun for a blast around the bay, but on a 2hr passage it can get tedious.
Old 03 August 2007, 19:37   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Here's what its like if you get the weather...

[YOUTUBE]MPiMefPvhKY[/YOUTUBE]
I love that vid Shag. It was the perfect trip.
Old 03 August 2007, 23:08   #11

Mark

I look forward to seeing you later this month.

Ian
Old 04 August 2007, 00:29   #12

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla View Post
I have a similar sized boat... we go out in all kinds of weather, the bigger the waves get, the slower we get there.... we always make our destination... course we don't go out when it's awful.. unless it's a beer run!
True to a certain point but the open Atlantic can get pretty wild...........
Old 04 August 2007, 01:59   #13

Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Engine: E-Tec 115

Too true, I'm currently 100miles west of the Shetlands (Not in a rib!!) and forecast is for 7.5m swell in the next 12 hours with 40 knots of wind.
I can't imagine the Scillies are too different in a Good westerly?
Old 04 August 2007, 02:31   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyboyo View Post

Too true, I'm currently 100miles west of the Shetlands (Not in a rib!!) and forecast is for 7.5m swell in the next 12 hours with 40 knots of wind.
I can't imagine the Scillies are too different in a Good westerly?
We were on Bryher last year, chatting to some local boys in the 'Fraggle Rock'. They were telling us that the St. Mary's (Scillies) lifeboat was called to assist the night of the Penlee disaster. Apparently, she was surfing down the faces of 60+ft waves during the 3hr trip to Lamorna Cove. They experienced the biggest seas in living memory.
Old 04 August 2007, 06:45   #15

Don't worry, cowardice has kept me alive both in boats and as a helicopter pilot! Risk management is what I do for a living. I don't mind trundling off into a lump if there is an exit strategy; 15 miles off lands end the options become limited! My RIB may be seaworthy, but I would quite like to stay in it!

Looking forward to meeting theScillies contingent when I get there (even if that means swinging the RIB onto the freighter).

Mark
Old 04 August 2007, 11:02   #16

Quote:
Don't worry, cowardice has kept me alive both in boats and as a helicopter pilot! Risk management is what I do for a living. I don't mind trundling off into a lump if there is an exit strategy; 15 miles off lands end the options become limited! My RIB may be seaworthy, but I would quite like to stay in it!

Looking forward to meeting theScillies contingent when I get there (even if that means swinging the RIB onto the freighter).

Mark
To have an 'ejection' from a rib you need to be working that throttle like a hooligan. Not sure why you're looking for so many neg's. Guy's cross the Atlantic in boats half the size of your's without falling out.
Old 04 August 2007, 11:09   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
To have an 'ejection' from a rib you need to be working that throttle like a hooligan. Not sure why you're looking for so many neg's. Guy's cross the Atlantic in boats half the size of your's without falling out.
Mollers,

It was a slightly tongue in cheek comment, (I should make use of the smiley once I have read the faq and know how to). If I was that negative I would not have stuck 600 horses on the back of my boat! All I am suggesting is that I shall use balanced judgement. Probably go up to a 4 g5 as long as it has not been blowing for to long. Much worse than that, stick it on the freighter.

Mark
Old 04 August 2007, 11:25   #18

Quote:
Mollers,

It was a slightly tongue in cheek comment, (I should make use of the smiley once I have read the faq and know how to). If I was that negative I would not have stuck 600 horses on the back of my boat! All I am suggesting is that I shall use balanced judgement. Probably go up to a 4 g5 as long as it has not been blowing for to long. Much worse than that, stick it on the freighter.

Mark
Sticking it on the back and be able (or having the balls) to use it are different things. There are plenty of guys that have boats, bikes, cars etc with all the gee gees that never ever use them to anywhere near there full potential. I'm not saying that's you.

If you're seriously thinking of putting that boat on a freighter, I'd suggest that quite a few of those 600 ponies are never gonna leave the paddock.

Don't worry I don't have 'small horsepower syndrome' . Good luck it's sound's like a cracking rig.
Old 04 August 2007, 13:02   #19

Mark.

If you are going to put your boat on the Gry Maritha or the Scillonian then you should book them now as the Steamship company usually takes weeks to get boats over.

Ian
Old 04 August 2007, 13:18   #20

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Mollers,

Mark

I have a 9m RIB and have been out in a F9 with approx 20' waves - it never even felt remotely dangerous. The further out you go the safer it gets in a way - most boats only get into trouble when they meet some land!!!

Talking of helicopters I get free lessons off a mate with a Hughes 300 - he is about to upgrade to an md500 - can't wait!!!