Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 05 August 2007, 02:56   #21
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wisbech
Boat name: Fen Tiger
Make: parker
Length: 9m +
Engine: inboard diesel twin
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6
HI
I woud go by sea,some time ago ferry lifted my old sea rider by lifting frome traler and damaged tubes and hull, also petrol very expensiv in scillies, ferry cant carey full boat.
Have a good trip!
__________________

__________________
Rob Sayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 August 2007, 06:54   #22
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Billy Whizz II
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki 300
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Sayer View Post
HI
I woud go by sea,some time ago ferry lifted my old sea rider by lifting frome traler and damaged tubes and hull, also petrol very expensiv in scillies, ferry cant carey full boat.
Have a good trip!
Hi Rob,

Thanks for that. Following everyone's input, I think you are right. Unless it is really unpleasant I will go by sea. If it is foul, I will try and leave the boat in Penzance or Newlyn and then fly back whenthe weather is on my side to pick it up. The tanks are quite full right now and I am not sure how much I can empty them before we leave. Not keen to pump out 100 gallons!

Mark
__________________

__________________
MarkBarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 August 2007, 08:20   #23
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBarker View Post
Hi Rob,

Thanks for that. Following everyone's input, I think you are right. Unless it is really unpleasant I will go by sea. If it is foul, I will try and leave the boat in Penzance or Newlyn and then fly back whenthe weather is on my side to pick it up. The tanks are quite full right now and I am not sure how much I can empty them before we leave. Not keen to pump out 100 gallons!

Mark
The fuller the tanks the more stable the boat!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 August 2007, 10:30   #24
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Crawley, West Sussex
Boat name: Sussex Explorer
Make: Quinquari
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 200hp etecs
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 104
We were planning a cruise to the Channel Islands on the 23rd Aug, however we have now changed it to Plymouth (due to high accomodation costs), we are now planning (weather dependant) to cruise from Chichester to Plymouth, and base ourselves at Plymouth till Sunday 26th.

We were planning if the weather was good to do a long day trip to the Scillies so we might see you there....

Pete
><(((>
__________________
___________________________________________
Pete Smith
Eco Tourism Rides from Newhaven, East Sussex.
www.sussexvoyages.co.uk
PeteSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 August 2007, 10:42   #25
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 2st 90
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBarker View Post
100 gallons!

Mark


I think I'll stick with my 90.

LOL

Ian
__________________
walruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 August 2007, 13:33   #26
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: PLYMOUTH
Boat name: SEARIDER
Make: NOT KNOW
Length: 6m +
Engine: OUTBOARD
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSmith View Post
We were planning a cruise to the Channel Islands on the 23rd Aug, however we have now changed it to Plymouth (due to high accomodation costs), we are now planning (weather dependant) to cruise from Chichester to Plymouth, and base ourselves at Plymouth till Sunday 26th.

We were planning if the weather was good to do a long day trip to the Scillies so we might see you there....

Pete
><(((>
We live in Plymouth if I can be of help to you P.M me with a number or e-mail
__________________
davemarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 August 2007, 16:37   #27
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSmith View Post
We were planning if the weather was good to do a long day trip to the Scillies so we might see you there....

Pete
><(((>
Blimey.Have you put pencil to chart on that one? Falmouth to Scillies and back in a day is a serious day out. The last time we did it we clocked up 202Nm. You can add another 120 out of Plymouth. 300+ in a day is a bit of a marathon.
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 August 2007, 05:10   #28
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Crawley, West Sussex
Boat name: Sussex Explorer
Make: Quinquari
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 200hp etecs
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Blimey.Have you put pencil to chart on that one? Falmouth to Scillies and back in a day is a serious day out. The last time we did it we clocked up 202Nm. You can add another 120 out of Plymouth. 300+ in a day is a bit of a marathon.

I havent yet used a chart (I will) but I have done an approx mileage using that famous maritime chart (Mappoint ) it calculates it to be 227 land miles ~ 198NM

If Mappoint is correct (and knowing Microsoft products there is a chance its wrong) we have done similar length trips before (Shoreham to Weymouth - Return in one day) with a F4-5 Easterly, however as this is a holiday we would only attempt the Scillies in good conditions from Plymouth ie < F3 (heres hoping )

Pete
><(((>
__________________
___________________________________________
Pete Smith
Eco Tourism Rides from Newhaven, East Sussex.
www.sussexvoyages.co.uk
PeteSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 August 2007, 14:37   #29
Member
 
Kernow Buoy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,518
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/6937461.stm
__________________
Kernow Buoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 August 2007, 16:42   #30
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 2st 90
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
What a complete idiot. When Olaf came over here on his paddle board in April to run the Tresco marathon he had a support boat both ways. That is the only way you can use a board and still do the crossing with a degree of safety.

Ian
__________________

__________________
walruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.