Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Trim Tabs

Who is running them?

I am thinking of getting some for TB having seen how effective they can be at pinning the nose of the rib down in a head sea which to be honest is the main time I would ever use them. Although I also like the idea of being able to trim into a Beam sea etc.

Lenco tabs on ebay seem reasonable and I prefer the idea of electric actuators as opposed to Hydraulic.

Codders, what happened to your Volvo QLs did you fit them? were they any good?

Before anyone chimes in with trim tabs are useless on boats less then 10 meters don't bother because its bollox. I have seen how effective they can be on a 6.5 and it made quite a difference to the speed (and comfort) you can run into a head sea.

Chris

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 June 2009, 19:36   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Nope they are still sitting on my shelf.

I had another set which i sold on - the bloke reckonend they were amazing and so easy to fit.

I will definitely be fitting them this winter - I have seen several boats fitted with them and they work very well - less to go wrong and less likely to get damaged. Price isn't bad either.
Old 09 June 2009, 08:00   #3

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Who is running them?

I am thinking of getting some for TB having seen how effective they can be at pinning the nose of the rib down in a head sea which to be honest is the main time I would ever use them. Although I also like the idea of being able to trim into a Beam sea etc.

Lenco tabs on ebay seem reasonable and I prefer the idea of electric actuators as opposed to Hydraulic.

Codders, what happened to your Volvo QLs did you fit them? were they any good?

Before anyone chimes in with trim tabs are useless on boats less then 10 meters don't bother because its bollox. I have seen how effective they can be on a 6.5 and it made quite a difference to the speed (and comfort) you can run into a head sea.

Chris
Chris,

I've also been thinking about tabs for a 5.85, the only thing that put me off the QL's was someone said on here that the fitting required a fairly large hole directly behind each unit....I've probably picked it up incorrectly and even if I haven't,fitting to my sealed deck....well ,I wouldn't know where to start.

what kind was fitted to this rib you were on ?.

Cheers,

Iain.
Old 09 June 2009, 12:29   #4

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Just an observation

I fitted Smart tabs on my RIB (5.8m) a while back. After a year's use I was not convinced of the benefit. So two weeks ago I took them off, a job that takes just minutes and had a trip out. I could not believe the difference in the boat handling, even my crew noticed and all agreed to put them back on. For the relatively small investment, I think they are great requiring nil maintanance. The only "modification" is that I have a line attached to each tab, so that if ever I am in a severe following sea, I have the option of lifting them.
Old 09 June 2009, 13:13   #5

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWET View Post
Chris,

I've also been thinking about tabs for a 5.85, the only thing that put me off the QL's was someone said on here that the fitting required a fairly large hole directly behind each unit....I've probably picked it up incorrectly and even if I haven't,fitting to my sealed deck....well ,I wouldn't know where to start.

what kind was fitted to this rib you were on ?.

Cheers,

Iain.
Yes it does - the plug then goes through the transom into the back of the unit. Can't remember the size of the hole but its about an inch or so.

If you have a sealed deck and can't get to it then it would be pointless. On my boat it's easy as there is a large deck well/hatch I can get to the bilge/transom area.

Remember though even with the Lenco electric tabs the cable needs to come through the transom - obviously it's higher up but it may not be high enough to clear your deck - check first.
Old 09 June 2009, 20:21   #6

I am getting Lenco tabs and you dont need to drill a big hole because the cable comes without the plug on the end so you can feed it through a hole that is just 9mm rather than 1".

On the Osprey the cables can be routed into the transom boxes which is nice and neat.

Born fiddler
Old 10 June 2009, 22:12   #7
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
trim tabs

We fitted someBennet hydraulic tabs to our 8.5 and it has helped with low speed trim so we can see over the bow better , at low speed I was unable to see over the bow without standing on a milk crate.With tabs the bow comes down more they also help in a crosswind .
Old 11 June 2009, 12:31   #8

Town: hoorn
Make: X craft
trim tabs are totally unneccesary if the boat has a good setup and weightdistibution.
Especially for RIBs under 8 meters.
They are a waste of your money.
The only advantage is that you will be able to plane at very low speed for example at places with a speed limit. Then it will save fuel.
Old 11 June 2009, 12:54   #9

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
So on the basis that not everyone gets to set their boat up exaclty how they want - they are not useless and can be used when you have differing loads on the boat and are running in differant sea conditions. If they are good enough fro the RNLI - they will be good enough for the likes of us lot.

No-one seems to have any reason why you shouldn't fit them yet ..............
Old 11 June 2009, 13:04   #10

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Trim Tabs

Trim tabs are not a waste of money at all, they are a great piece of kit, as loads change on your boat so does the balance and that requires re distribution of weight or use a trim tab.

I would highly reccomend them.

Julian
Old 11 June 2009, 13:38   #11

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcraft View Post
trim tabs are totally unneccesary if the boat has a good setup and weightdistibution.
The only advantage is that you will be able to plane at very low speed for example at places with a speed limit. Then it will save fuel.
Sort of contradicts itself that, if it saves money and lets you plane at a lower speed thus creating less wash then it has to be a good thing.
Old 11 June 2009, 14:03   #12

Town: Rigaud, Que.
Boat name: Rigaud Explorer
Make: 6m Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcraft View Post
Well yes, that's why they are usefull and especially on very deep V-Hulls.
Old 11 June 2009, 14:42   #13

There had to be one

As stated in the first point I have experience of driving a well set up boat into a head sea with and without tabs. The tabs definately IMHO made a big difference to the speed and comfort.

Born fiddler