Old 17 October 2006, 17:06   #1

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
< Edit: Split from this thread How Many Hours This Season???? JK >

No he runs commercially!!!

Why not use something more sensible iff you are using that much fuel? Jerry cans are a pain - my boat takes 25 of them to fill the tanks!!!

I have aquired a 400L diesel tank off a lorry. I am putting it into a trailer that I have - fitting the tank with a proper hose/trigger unit like they use in petrol stations. Gravity feed will do the rest - will make life a lot easier and is a lot safer.

Old 17 October 2006, 17:16   #2

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post

Why not use something more sensible iff you are using that much fuel? Jerry cans are a pain - my boat takes 25 of them to fill the tanks!!!

I have aquired a 400L diesel tank off a lorry. I am putting it into a trailer that I have - fitting the tank with a proper hose/trigger unit like they use in petrol stations. Gravity feed will do the rest - will make life a lot easier and is a lot safer.

I bet you have a problem filling that at the filling station .
My local Morrisons won't let me fill more than one can , so I fill them inside the side door of my transit and they are none the wiser cos it looks like Iam filling the tank . They do look confused when I have 60 of diesel at the same time as 45 of petrol.

Old 17 October 2006, 17:18   #3
alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
Quote:

That's fine if its diesel but if it's petrol I wouldnt like to be around you when filling! If youre going down that road buy a fuel bowser. OK theyre not cheap but they are damn cool and look the part. You can get one with electric pumps etc.
Old 17 October 2006, 17:24   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt View Post
That's fine if its diesel but if it's petrol I wouldnt like to be around you when filling! If youre going down that road buy a fuel bowser. OK theyre not cheap but they are damn cool and look the part. You can get one with electric pumps etc.

Still safer than loads of jerry cans - I am taking all the proper precautions regarding earthing etc.
Old 17 October 2006, 17:30   #5
alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
Quote:
Still safer than loads of jerry cans - I am taking all the proper precautions regarding earthing etc.
Personally i'm not bothered about PC'ness ... Just wonder what the oul bill would say if you ever went through a checkpoint...

"I say, do you get the whiff of petrol"
Old 17 October 2006, 18:22   #6

Town: London, boat Dartmouth
Boat name: Lark
Make: Capelli Cap 32 WA
Length: 10m +
Engine: Yamaha 250x2
MMSI: 235096621
I get fed up with the whole jerry can thing, but in central London I have no choice, as I think the nearest unlead to me is in the Medway!! There are 3 9/10m Humbers that operate RIB rides from the Millennium wheel, and they regularly fill up with 700lts , all in jerry cans, up to 3 times a week from what I can gather.
Old 17 October 2006, 18:22   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt View Post
Personally i'm not bothered about PC'ness ... Just wonder what the oul bill would say if you ever went through a checkpoint...

"I say, do you get the whiff of petrol"
Neither am I just know what lot's of petrol can do!!! I am far more worried about static than I am about the police pulling me!!!
Old 17 October 2006, 19:10   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Cod - do you have somewhere you can fill this? will the marina/harbour let you use it alongside? with your plans to reclaim duty on the fuel I would have thought you would be attracting enough questions from officialdom without raising the "and how do you get the 300 L of fuel to your boat, sir" issue. So now you will have the HSE sniffing round your opperation too. If you are determined to do it - I would investigate doing it legally. Might not be as complex as you think.
Old 17 October 2006, 19:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Cod - do you have somewhere you can fill this? will the marina/harbour let you use it alongside? with your plans to reclaim duty on the fuel I would have thought you would be attracting enough questions from officialdom without raising the "and how do you get the 300 L of fuel to your boat, sir" issue. So now you will have the HSE sniffing round your opperation too. If you are determined to do it - I would investigate doing it legally. Might not be as complex as you think.
But it will be legal - mate runs a transport company knows all the regs - he gave me the tank.

Filling from Jerry cans is a dodgy propostition at best. I use a filter funnel and a jiggle syphon and yet I still manage to spill loads. Using a proper nozzle with an earthed pipe has to be a better bet???
Old 18 October 2006, 04:43   #10
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardjawilson View Post
There are 3 9/10m Humbers that operate RIB rides from the Millennium wheel, and they regularly fill up with 700lts , all in jerry cans, up to 3 times a week from what I can gather.
I'd be interested to know how they manage that legally!

John