Old 24 October 2002, 12:08   #11

Town: Oxford
Make: Ribtec, Ballistic, C
Engine: 40hp 4 strokes - twi
Thanks Karl Hope your advanced went well at the weekend did they all pass this time. Unfortunatly their is no electricity what is cheep for a hydrohoist, i have no idea.

Old 24 October 2002, 12:28   #12

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Food for thought.

Is the problem just about leaving you boat at the marina ?.

If the transom is a problem in a "calm" marina what would it be like with your stern wave or say a following sea, fine i guess on the plane but what at displacment speeds or stopped.

Food for thought ?.

Regards Gary

Old 24 October 2002, 13:01   #13

Town: Jersey
Boat name: t/t
Make: Honda
Length: under 3m
Dave

has been used as a demo, from talk in the summer at work and new business interests of present owner he would probably take 2500

re weekend: yes I passed them both, I understand they were referred previously as they were in an environment where they were unable to demonstrate their competence with stronger personalities taking the lead on previous assessment with RC!
Old 24 October 2002, 13:03   #14

Town: uk
Make: Quick Silver
Length: under 3m
Engine: suzuki
Engine Well

Had same problem with our old BWM RAPIER 28, When on its swinging mooring with twin 150 yams on the back, only had a few inches clearance form top of transom. On big spring tides with south-easterly's boat would swamp, sea water level with the top of the transom. The only cure was to build engine well, drilled two holes through transom for the water to flow in and out, for next 10 years no problem
Old 24 October 2002, 13:21   #15

Town: Oxford
Make: Ribtec, Ballistic, C
Engine: 40hp 4 strokes - twi
In a following sea it is not a problem because their are people their who can use the pumps if needed and to be honest in breaking waves when stationary you will find yourself side on to the weather. In that situation I would simply run a sea anchor from the bow.

As for the drainagte holes it is an interesting thourght I had not come up with treet the problem rater than the symptom I like it and will certainly give that some thourght.

Thanks all

Old 24 October 2002, 15:04   #16

Town: Bangor
Make: Shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: O/b 225
Guite a few RIBs now come as standard with a transom well and holes through the transom - suggest you have a look at a Ribeye or similar for copying.
Also I spotted a novel idea in France a couple of years ago - a Zodiac was fitted with a hypalon well - it was simply screwed & siloconed to the transom just below the engine brackets with a thin strip of alloy/SS, glued up the side of the tubes and held stiff(ish) by being doubled over shock cord running between the two handles on each side tube. I dont think there were any holes in the transom - it was on a swinging mooring with some water lying on the hypalon just up to the level of the transom top.
I could sketch it if you like..
Old 28 October 2002, 18:25   #17

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Water lapping in

Would you consider fitting a Rule mate pump something which operates with a float switch which would auto pump the water from the rib ,this is a problem for a boat beside us in Dun Laoghaire a Redbay with a Johnston VRO it gets water over the transom after heavy rain the boat sits lower as it contains water and often sea water lapps over the transom with the extra weight, or when you leave the rib trim both motors down and trap a very large fender between the engs and the transom so it is held securely possibly giving you some stern lift gavin