Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 31 March 2010, 10:36   #11
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
It's the size and shape of the knees and how they are fitted to the transom that will determine how strong the transom is and what power if will stand.
__________________

__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2010, 11:12   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 hp
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
It's the size and shape of the knees and how they are fitted to the transom that will determine how strong the transom is and what power if will stand.
There be big ones to the top of the transom but hidden by a storage box either side the boxes will also hide any conducts / cable to the engine and hold a recessed fire extinguisher housing in one and a first aid kit in the other.

Also thinking of putting on a stainless steel cleat for mooring and of course also acting as a good base for an A frame. and not forgetting a small round access hatch.

Anything I have forgotten ? please be so kind as to let me know all help and comments welcome.

Attached pictures of Plaster mould and finished storage box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3310002.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	50148   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3310001.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	50149   Click image for larger version

Name:	ll.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	50150  
__________________

__________________
Sonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2010, 11:53   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Assume you're running your services below deck, which terminate within the transom boxes. You can use neat ducting to run the services from the boxes to the motor.
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2010, 12:24   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 hp
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Assume you're running your services below deck, which terminate within the transom boxes. You can use neat ducting to run the services from the boxes to the motor.
Yes all conducts under the decking.
thinking square guttering laminated to the hull with 6 layers of matt and roven woven
a little like stringers running full length of the hull. coming up through the decking in both boxes and into the consul.

What is neat trunking ? is it flexible
__________________
Sonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2010, 12:30   #15
Member
 
biffer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonar View Post
Yes all conducts under the decking.
thinking square guttering laminated to the hull with 6 layers of matt and roven woven
a little like stringers running full length of the hull. coming up through the decking in both boxes and into the consul.

What is neat trunking ? is it flexible
are you going to layup square pipe alongside the stringer?
__________________
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2010, 12:37   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 hp
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
are you going to layup square pipe alongside the stringer?
After the stringers have gone in .As i think there going to be taller than the 68mm pipe.
__________________
Sonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2010, 15:06   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonar View Post
What is neat trunking ? is it flexible
Yamaha do a nice looking grey colour flexible trunk with plastic flanges which screw onto the transom box. You can also get the same stuff from IBS - around 20 for a 1 metre kit IIRC. These come in 1.5" and 2" diameter.

Like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Osprey Vipermax pics 158 (Medium).jpg
Views:	114
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	50154  
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2010, 15:28   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 hp
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Yamaha do a nice looking grey colour flexible trunk with plastic flanges which screw onto the transom box. You can also get the same stuff from IBS - around 20 for a 1 metre kit IIRC. These come in 1.5" and 2" diameter.

Like this:
Nice tidy bit of kit many thanks for the information.
__________________
Sonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 April 2010, 04:06   #19
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
The way we do our knees is to laminate and clamp together layers of top quality ply, and slot the last one over the knees which are already glassed in to the previous layer - hope that makes sense!
__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 April 2010, 08:40   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 hp
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
The way we do our knees is to laminate and clamp together layers of top quality ply, and slot the last one over the knees which are already glassed in to the previous layer - hope that makes sense!
Yes it does to me many thanks..
__________________

__________________
Sonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Member's RIBs

Rib

michael1

Humma

stul
Add your RIB



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.