Old 10 July 2008, 16:37   #51

Town: Cowes
Boat name: if only you knew!
Make: n/a
Length: 10m +
Engine: large
cookkee

I am not familiar with your product and would never slag anyones off - not my style.... im sure your boats are lovely but the topic was transom's delaminating with a heavy donk but within kw rating........ it happens and so does sh$t.....!!! lol

Old 11 July 2008, 07:47   #52

Town: Lexington Park, MD.
Make: Apex A17
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70HP Evinrude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post

Lugnut - I think we are in agreement then!
I believe we are! lol!

Bigmuz7, has Northcraft been any more obliging or are you going to have to have repairs done out of your pocket someplace else?

Old 14 August 2008, 08:47   #53

Town: Cannes
Boat name: midkat 550
Make: apoge
Engine: 2x50 Tohatsu
I agree with Cookie statements ... it is not enough to get a CAD designed boat, when the keypoint is the guy who stratifies the hull !

I had to repair a transom with the same kind of broken knee as Bigmuz had, there should have been 6 layers of roving glassfiber carefully handlaid - not easy to do into the knee negative and narrow mould shape - but there were only 2, and badly glued with bubbles - in otherwords, the main strength was the surface gelcoat ...
This work was probably made at the end of a week, when the guy was late to his appointment with a nice girl ...

CAD design ... ok, fine, but not enough
Old 14 August 2008, 18:43   #54

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
I believe we are! lol!

Bigmuz7, has Northcraft been any more obliging or are you going to have to have repairs done out of your pocket someplace else?
Thankfully my dealer, who fitted the hull out, repaired it ,.. and I appreciated their support.. but it took a few strong words before they stepped in.. and they were woefully slow in doing it, which ultimately made me want to dispose of the boat.

Northcraft attempted a repair which was an utter joke .. I would strongly caution anyone to trust them to repair a .. (THEIR OWN) boat.. which is a shame as they do make some good hulls.. My dealer was FYM in Grangemouth, my thanks to Keith & Ivan for handling this difficult situation and I can gladly say I'm out of it now..
Old 15 August 2008, 05:24   #55

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
I'm more interested in the Gem your hanging on too

(not stirring,just want a laugh)
Old 15 August 2008, 17:29   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWET View Post
I'm more interested in the Gem your hanging on too

(not stirring,just want a laugh)

Its no big deal, but, for a boat manufacturer they should be ashamed of themselves, ..as yet, I am at a loss as to why they didnt want to improve their product in the long run.. as I understand it, the 8.5 was an Osprey hull design, which I already said was a good basic hull, but it lacked a good degree of finesse and the tubes..... were debateable

In 10 years of RIBs and all Northcrafts .. I couldn't go to the damn thing without having to pump up the tubes every time I went out

Has me in mind to post a thread about that actually.. how often your tubes deflate

This Northcraft was a weekly occurrence for atleast one of the chambers every time and thats over three different boats that I've had from them.. they were all just as bad
Old 15 August 2008, 18:27   #57

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Your profile shows that you use a Valiant. What do you think of that?
Old 15 August 2008, 18:49   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Your profile shows that you use a Valiant What do you think of that?
Very good actually.. small & very good design thoughts have gone into this boat, how one compartment, like an anchor locker drains into the next, it has a fuel tank built in that has a filler with an overflow catch, that means it wont spill and contaminate other sectors of the boat should you over fill, and its easy to use the filler under the bow hatch, which has a breather so reduces your chances of overfilling. It has tube safety pressure relief valves, a generous tube diameter to start with, fair lead etc, dual grab robes inward and outward along the tubes and I must say, on the water I've been surprised at how well it takes rough water. Its not as deep V as some of my previous boats, but I havnt experienced a thump and bang ride yet

Ontop of that... I took a large force 6 breaking wave over the side a couple of weeks ago whilst fishing in the sea at a rough point, and I didnt feel threatened at all in this boat, despite taking a lot of water.. funny how you seem at one in some boats but not in others

edit .. I havnt put air in the tubes since the day I got it either ,.. general manufacturing quality of this boat is a mile away from what i've been used to .. I could go on
Old 15 August 2008, 19:04   #59

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
.. one compartment, like an anchor locker drains into the next, ...
Does the anchor locker drain into the void between the hull and deck?
Old 15 August 2008, 19:20   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Does the anchor locker drain into the void between the hull and deck?
Yes but unlike many other boats Ive had, there is no leakage through the deck from rain from this locker or any other components.. The bow locker where the anchors are, drains to the mid section, which drains aft, and they are designed to do this, so its not as if water will get trapped anywhere in the hull, and I'm not talking about a lot of water here compared to what I've been used to.

Crucially .. the lid for the bow locker is designed .. very simply.. with a u shaped profile round its edges, so no rainwater can penetrate its opening, so simple, yet forgotten by a lot of manufacturers.

In 2 weeks of on and off rain .. I think I got 1 pint of under deck water altogether half of which I think was condensation