Old 24 May 2008, 03:56   #21

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gee View Post
I noticed a blue Northcraft at Rothsay the other weekend with a Verado on it. It had some rather substantial stainless knees/supports fitted to the transom. Might be worth trying to get a hold of the owner and see if he has had the same problems.
HTH
Andy
Thanks Andy .. will keep a look out

Old 24 May 2008, 12:30   #22

Town: Liverpool
Length: 10m +
Can you put on a few more pics.
Is the deck ply and grp?

Old 27 May 2008, 10:46   #23

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
i think the whole system should be scrapped - my 9m and my little Quicksilver are both rated C - I wonder which I would prefer to be on in the rough..............
And it has been discussed on here that the CE procedure may not have been rigidly adhered to in the case of your manufacturer as well
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2008, 10:20   #24

Town: dunoon
Make: varies
Length: 8m +
northcraft transom

I've got the blue northcraft spotted in Rothsay - the stainless legs got retro fitted after less than 10 hours running . More issues now coming to light - not what I would expect from the reputation of the boats . Dealer has been very good but all a bit concerning !
Old 04 July 2008, 11:13   #25

Town: Worcester
Make: Northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp Yam 4 stroke
MMSI: 235063097
Andym I purchased a new Northcraft 6.3 metre RIB earlier this year, so I'm interested to hear what issues you have had with your boat. Can you elaborate? Would like to know if there is anything I need to look out for!
Old 04 July 2008, 16:08   #26

Town: dunoon
Make: varies
Length: 8m +
They are good sea boats just watch the transom . The issue appears to be the weight of heavy modern four strokes hanging of the back of them . Shouldn't matter but there you are .
Old 07 July 2008, 15:52   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickdog View Post
Andym I purchased a new Northcraft 6.3 metre RIB earlier this year, so I'm interested to hear what issues you have had with your boat. Can you elaborate? Would like to know if there is anything I need to look out for!
Trickdog The 6.3 was the best Northcraft I had .. good boat
Old 07 July 2008, 15:54   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
They are good sea boats just watch the transom . The issue appears to be the weight of heavy modern four strokes hanging of the back of them . Shouldn't matter but there you are .
Why after 10 hours Andy ? what did you you see ?
Old 07 July 2008, 17:50   #29

Town: Cowes
Boat name: if only you knew!
Make: n/a
Engine: large
chaps,

people need to understand that these boats moulds are not new - the technology for making ribs is increasing by the day as is the powerplants that we hang on the back.

I doubt very much that northcraft moulds are CAD designed, nor have they been in test tanks to prove capability, mosty of the RIB moulds we have today are moulds from 10/15 years that have been passed down the line.

I can tell you from experience that a proper brand new mould from scratch costs in excess of 40k...... the point i am making is that not many people stress test or fatigue test moulds/ powerplants as the industry does not have that type of investment available ......they.... calculate EU requirements versus empty weight versus transom thickness = power rating x kw

No audit procedure, no batch numbers of kit used, no stress testing, nothing - just whack it in the mould, lay it up, when its cured, bung the tubes on, hang the donk on the back, fit it out with whatever we have and try and marry it up with what the client wants - tea break - ready for friday just in-time for the weekend.......!!! maybe i have just been in this game toooo long.... more creme de month - i say!!!!!! hooorarrrr
Old 07 July 2008, 18:17   #30

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikster View Post
chaps,

people need to understand that these boats moulds are not new - the technology for making ribs is increasing by the day as is the powerplants that we hang on the back.

I doubt very much that northcraft moulds are CAD designed, nor have they been in test tanks to prove capability, mosty of the RIB moulds we have today are moulds from 10/15 years that have been passed down the line.

I can tell you from experience that a proper brand new mould from scratch costs in excess of 40k...... the point i am making is that not many people stress test or fatigue test moulds/ powerplants as the industry does not have that type of investment available ......they.... calculate EU requirements versus empty weight versus transom thickness = power rating x kw

No audit procedure, no batch numbers of kit used, no stress testing, nothing - just whack it in the mould, lay it up, when its cured, bung the tubes on, hang the donk on the back, fit it out with whatever we have and try and marry it up with what the client wants - tea break - ready for friday just in-time for the weekend.......!!! maybe i have just been in this game toooo long.... more creme de month - i say!!!!!! hooorarrrr
Ah! Yes. But if they want to stay in business after this thread, they'll get some thicker plywood for the transom and knees, add a couple more layers of fibreglass and then have a beer, knowing they responded promptly to customer's needs and then advertise the virtues of their R & D department.