Old 13 May 2012, 20:46   #1

Town: Vilamoura
Boat name: Birdy
Make: Valiant
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50hp
Transom bung

The hole in the transom on a valiant rib is presumably to let water out whilst on a trailer.
When in the water they supply a round plastic insert with a little flappy door on it. It only fits one way round because the hole is tapered, unfortunately when moored it lets water pour in.
So I have bought a red and black expanding bung but this only fits on the outside because of the flappy door on the inside and I fear it will not be there at my destination.
So when motoring, I take it out which enables self baling, every time I stop I hang over the back and put it back in.
When I have finished for the day and hose down the tubes it collects water, so then I have to bale it out.
This sounds like a comedy of errors, am I missing something here or is my stuff supposed to be floating around at the back of the boat?
Old 13 May 2012, 21:54   #2

Town: Beds/South coast
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 115
Sounds like you need to fit an auto-baler/elephants trunk in place of existing?
Old 13 May 2012, 23:29   #3

Town: South West
Boat name: Das Boot
Make: Honwave T40
Engine: Tohatsu, 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcobird View Post
The hole in the transom on a valiant rib is presumably to let water out whilst on a trailer.
When in the water they supply a round plastic insert with a little flappy door on it. It only fits one way round because the hole is tapered, unfortunately when moored it lets water pour in.
So I have bought a red and black expanding bung but this only fits on the outside because of the flappy door on the inside and I fear it will not be there at my destination.
So when motoring, I take it out which enables self baling, every time I stop I hang over the back and put it back in.
When I have finished for the day and hose down the tubes it collects water, so then I have to bale it out.
This sounds like a comedy of errors, am I missing something here or is my stuff supposed to be floating around at the back of the boat?
Sounds more like a one way valve that you are inserting the wrong way around to me. My Honwave has a one-way valve that is screwed in from the outside that allows water in but not in and a bung that goes on the inside to stop water going in or out. If you insert something that interferers with the one way valve then it is possible it will not work and just let water in.
Old 14 May 2012, 15:28   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
To me it sounds like a typical "one way" scupper that is actually two way. Not really unusual.

Though there are questions: Is the rubber flapper part of a removable plug (the original post makes it sound that way)? If so, is the plug supposed to be removable? The part about the new plug not fitting makes it sound as if it is not removable. Which is it?

Does the flap open to the outside of the boat? If not, it's backwards. It's supposed to seal up under water pressure (boat at rest), and drain water out while under way (reduced pressure behind the boat.)

There are several styles of self draining scuppers, none of which seem to work particularly well if they are under the waterline (and some that don't even above the waterline.) You might want to look into a different style.

If the drain in question accesses the bilge, you may want to plug it with a removable bung, and rely on a bilge pump to get the water out while on the water. If it accesses the deck, you need to figure out a way of draining water in case of a wave breaking over, a stuff, or similar.

jky
Old 14 May 2012, 20:00   #5

bung parts

Thank you for all your replies, sometimes the most obvious answers just dont appear in your mind.

This is a picture of the kit I believe has been installed on my boat. it was already fitted when I bought it. The little round white piece has the flappy door, obviously it is one way and opens towards the sea. it will only fit from inside the boat and not from the outside. If I remove this completely and insert the black and red bung, it fits well on the outside of the boat but is a sloppy fit on the inside and really does nothing.

My only conclusion is that the white tube has been fitted the wrong way round.
Attached Images

Old 14 May 2012, 20:02   #6

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
The bung goes on the outside so water pressure holds it in place. I have no idea about the flappy bits on that particular drain but by and large one way valves like this suck.
Old 14 May 2012, 20:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
The bung goes on the outside so water pressure holds it in place. I have no idea about the flappy bits on that particular drain but by and large one way valves like this suck.
Thanks CJ, so there is no chance of the bung coming out when you are bombing along at 30 knots
Old 14 May 2012, 20:20   #8
Trade member

Town: UK
Length: 5m +
Is the non-return diaphragm (the 'flappy door') pliable and seating properly, they do become hard/brittle. I can supply a replacement 'flappy door' if that helps? Chris
Old 14 May 2012, 20:27   #9

Flappy door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribstore View Post
Is the non-return diaphragm (the 'flappy door') pliable and seating properly, they do become hard/brittle. I can supply a replacement 'flappy door' if that helps? Chris
Thanks Chris, it seems ok but I am not sure how pliable it should be anyway. I assumed the idea of this part was to let water out at speed and stop water coming in when stationery. Well it just poured in!
Old 14 May 2012, 20:39   #10
Trade member

Quote:
I assumed the idea of this part was to let water out at speed and stop water coming in when stationery. Well it just poured in!
I have one in my hand right now, the flappy door should sit in the closed position so that when at rest the external water pressure simply pushes the flap further onto the seating and then when underway the flap can open by differential pressure. If the flap is in the open position at rest then I would guess that the flap has become hardened, Easy to remove the flap and get a closer look (just held in with 1 pozi screw).
Old 14 May 2012, 20:50   #11

Town: Staines, Middx
Boat name: EXisa
Make: Predator 599
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Quote:
I have one in my hand right now, the flappy door should sit in the closed position so that when at rest the external water pressure simply pushes the flap further onto the seating and then when underway the flap can open by differential pressure. If the flap is in the open position at rest then I would guess that the flap has become hardened, Easy to remove the flap and get a closer look (just held in with 1 pozi screw).
Aha......... i have the same problem on my bombard explorer, the flap kicks up at the bottom like Farah Fawcetts best 70s hairdo.

Do you do one for a 46mm opening?
Old 14 May 2012, 20:58   #12
Trade member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibbo90 View Post
Aha......... i have the same problem on my bombard explorer, the flap kicks up at the bottom like Farah Fawcetts best 70s hairdo.

Do you do one for a 46mm opening?
Only have a replacement diaphragm for the 42mm diameter drain that Barcobird has posted the piccy of...sorry!
Old 14 May 2012, 21:54   #13

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
Thanks CJ, so there is no chance of the bung coming out when you are bombing along at 30 knots
When twisted up, the lever expands the bung and holds it in place. No they don't fall out underway, obviously fold the lever in a way it won't get dislodged. I have no idea about the flapper part, but the tube was installed correctly.

If you don't like that type of bung, then get a screw-in type instead of the lever type.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	283756.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	68228  
Attached Images

Old 14 May 2012, 22:22   #14

Quote:
No pozi screw holding mine in, I just gently eased it in with a hammer, it was a good tight fit. Probably just as well to change it, at least i will know if that's the problem.
Do you supply these separately or as part of a kit?