Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 26 May 2016, 04:05   #11
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Dublin
Make: XS650
Length: no boat
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 165
There's one in and out of the marina here.
It's owned by people who live out on a nearby island with a tidal harbour. Boathouse nicely above the waterline.
Perfect for that job.
Just drop the landing gear as you approach the shore, don't even stop and you're recovered to the boathouse.
Not even wet feet
__________________

__________________
Iron Dials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 04:14   #12
RIBnet supporter
 
Chris Caton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Seen one at the Gazelle in N Wales about 5 yrs ago when they came out (?), drove straight up the beach into the pub car park and parked up. LOL Had a pint then drove off back in to the sea. my dad thought he'd lost the plot/had a few too many scotches. Mint!
we watched one coming ashore just along from the Gazelle a couple of years ago in front of one of those "grand designs" places, not seen the rib since and we've never seen anyone at the house, thinking of offering to look after it for them when I retire
__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Wirral Division)
Chris Caton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 04:49   #13
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,272
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
There's a bloke in France with one at the slip that we use, what a palaver, he needs all the car park to get the thing into the trailer. The inboard hydraulic engine exhaust has melted the cowl on the outboard. The only advantage he has is that he doesn't have to get his trailer wet. It's a gimmick imho. If I had a house with sheltered beach access, I might just about consider one.


Sh1t happens
Does look spectacular when it motors down the beach and glides off...saw one do the buisness in the Scillies last year.
BUT.. All that metal and hydraulics pluss the other mechanicals open to the full force of the Briney!...would seem it's certainly a "Rich Boys Toy" to me!....we ALL know what it costs in terms of time and money to keep a standard Rig Tip Top!
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 07:47   #14
Member
 
Wightdiver's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Does look spectacular when it motors down the beach and glides off...saw one do the buisness in the Scillies last year.
BUT.. All that metal and hydraulics pluss the other mechanicals open to the full force of the Briney!...would seem it's certainly a "Rich Boys Toy" to me!....we ALL know what it costs in terms of time and money to keep a standard Rig Tip Top!
If you can afford one of those you can afford someone to maintain it for you!!
__________________
Wightdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 08:02   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,574
wasn't there an issue awhile back with one cracking up and the guy having problems with warranty a Poole marina seems to ring a bell not mentioning names.
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 08:40   #16
Member
 
Fender's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
They are a surprisingly capable boat when in the water

We have a new 9M version (all wheel drive and jet black) arriving in september.

Regards

Steve
I'd hazard a guess not as capable as a 'normal' like for like rib without all the extra weight, how does the extra equipment and engine affect trim, balance and sea keeping?
They have there purpose and I'm sure a appeal to a very small market, I've also heard that once away from the shore and wanting to trailer any distance there a pig to load and unload.........but then life would be boring if we liked all the same things
__________________
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 09:05   #17
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
I'd hazard a guess not as capable as a 'normal' like for like rib without all the extra weight, how does the extra equipment and engine affect trim, balance and sea keeping?

They have there purpose and I'm sure a appeal to a very small market, I've also heard that once away from the shore and wanting to trailer any distance there a pig to load and unload.........but then life would be boring if we liked all the same things

Best off with a flatbed trailer, just drive it on!
__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 09:12   #18
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,272
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wightdiver View Post
If you can afford one of those you can afford someone to maintain it for you!!
The question was who would own one...Not me....and they are pretty scarce!Affordability and Good Value not always the same thing
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 09:47   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Telford
Make: Ribeye s650
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 200
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
The question was who would own one...Not me....and they are pretty scarce!Affordability and Good Value not always the same thing
Bear Grylls!! Seen him numerous times at Abersoch. Don't think affordability worried him too much when he bought it.
__________________
Wrekindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 09:50   #20
Member
 
Fender's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Best off with a flatbed trailer, just drive it on!
Inless like the majority of car trailers and flat beds they are set-up with two outer ramps, bow wheel on the amphibious thingy is in the middle I guess a third ramp is req? Lol
__________________

__________________
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.