Old 30 July 2003, 12:53   #1

Town: Devon, Alberta
Trans-Atlantic RIB teams

I've been following the Jolly Sailor's progress and I just saw the site for the competition.

Can anyone tell me why the other team has 6 people, a bigger motor and a different route? How will the results be assessed?
Old 30 July 2003, 13:46   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Good questions! Each of the teams has selected the boat and crew that they feel will be best for the job.

Crew:

Bear Grylls' team is a crew of four plus a cameraman (Charlie Laing). Carol McFadden is a passenger and is only on board for the first leg from Halifax to Battle Harbour.

Alan Priddy's team is also a crew of four, except Clive has double duties as journalist and cameraman.

Engines:

Alan Priddy chose to have a moderate size engine (240hp is not a lot for a boat this size) to maximise fuel economy.

Bear Grylls chose to have a jet drive to minimise the chances of damage from floating objects. As jet drives are less efficient than conventional drives a bigger engine is required.

Their boat is bigger than Jolly Sailor and may well be heavier despite not having a cabin as such, needing more power to push it along. I doubt that the Bear Grylls boat (which doesn't appear to have a name as far as I can see!) is any faster than Jolly Sailor. It will certainly require more fuel.

Route:

The choice of route is really dictated by refuelling requirements. A boat with a smaller range will need to make more stops.

Results:

The simplest tests are "Did they get across the Atlantic?" and "How long did it take?".

The governing body for world powerboat records is the UIM (Union Internationale Motonautique). The UIM only recognises one trans-Atlantic record, which starts at the Ambrose Light off New York and finishes at Lizard Point in Cornwall. As such, neither team stands to set an official world record.

Assuming that they are both successful, each team will doubtless make whatever claims they feel sound best! Fastest, fastest open boat, fastest under 11 metres, youngest, oldest, fewest stops, most times across the Atlantic.

Funny things records . . .

John
Old 30 July 2003, 13:58   #3

Town: Devon, Alberta
Thanks!

Thanks for clarifying that for me, John.
Old 30 July 2003, 17:13   #4

Town: St Martins
Boat name: MATRIX
Make: Jeanneau Leader 805
Length: 8.05
Engine: Volvo KAD 43 Diesel
Dont forget the Guiness Book of Records !
Old 30 July 2003, 19:02   #5
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally posted by DepSol
Dont forget the Guiness Book of Records !
Who seem to be a law unto themselves and won't be including either of these expeditions . . .

John