Old 06 October 2005, 08:11   #141

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Training gives you the tools to gain the right experience IMHO.

I feel they go hand in hand, like love and marraige, you can't have one without the other!

Regards
Old 06 October 2005, 08:41   #142

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hartley
yes currency rate has come down abit so perhaps i was being a bit generous assuming £1 per litre at exchange rate of 1.85

.97 x 4.54 x 1.76 = $7.75
guess i was over egging it a bit,....haha..;-)

chris - be careful - choppy was using us gallons i, e 3.78 liters. ( this from
memory!!!!!!)

Jonathan
Old 06 October 2005, 08:46   #143

BUT yiou can train a monkey to do anything---- but it does not mean that
training will give you the KNOWLEDGE to tackle problems.

Also - a lot of solutions to problems that we encounter can be solved by common sense..unfortunately there aint much of that around these days...

Jonathan
Old 06 October 2005, 08:51   #144

Jono - didnt see your post.. I suppose 10.50 am is too early in the morning for me...

Jonathan
Old 06 October 2005, 09:17   #145

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Training at the end of the day IS "experience" and could never be considered a negative thing - no one will ever suffer from training from a qualified instructor.

However only an instructor could possibly say that training from an instructor is the only way to gain good experience. (I wonder why they would think that - there opinion should be stricken from the record as being biased )

In my mind learning from as many different people as possible is always going to be the best option. Any individual instructor is only as good as the sum of his own experiences and There is always going to be "Good" instructors and "Bad" instructors. I would choose an experienced instructor over a newly qualified one any day for any training I would pay for.

Seeing that going on 5 or 10 different PB2 courses is a very expensive way to learn from the knowledge of multiple instructors. I would suggest that interacting with as many people who own boats (and not just RIBs) all sorts of boats from a kayaks to a battle ships will teach you more than any course delivered from a single individual.

Please don't get me wrong - I'm not suggesting to anybody that they don't take a course - I took my PB2 years ago whilst working for an adventure holiday centre - I am planning to do my advanced this winter when i get my new boat. All I am saying is that training is NOT the be all and end all route to becoming "experienced" and "knowledgeable"

The training courses that really work the best are the ones that run for extended periods of time and have input from multiple people - but at the end of the day - these type of courses are simply "Structured Experience"
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 October 2005, 09:51   #146

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin

It's every ones choice as to whether they receive training in boats or not some people go on a very steep learning curve and can master a boat well in time and after a lot of mistakes/accidents /near misses on the way. Others will take a shorter route and get some training from someone qualified or not .

Its only after we have received some training do we really gain some experience IMHO. Even all the Insructors have to had training , we are not born to it.
Glad to hear you are going to undertake some further training Roy to add to your experience

I thought you were one of the you don't need training brigade but glad to hear you are not.
Old 06 October 2005, 10:35   #147

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin
Glad to hear you are going to undertake some further training Roy to add to your experience

I thought you were one of the you don't need training brigade but glad to hear you are not.
I am absolutely not one of the "don't need training brigade." But at the same time I don't want training to be put on a pedestal as the only route to mastering a particular skill.

I have many skills in the field of IT - some of those were gained through training from a third party and some of those were gained through self training (ie trial and error, research, practise, experimentation). Some of the skills I have I am the only one in the world who has them - so training wasn't even available (I'm talking of knowledge about the software my company produces - seeing as I'm the only one in the company who knows certain things about it and the software was developed in house - I therefore deduce I am the only one with that knowledge).

I would like to think that anybody who gets behind the wheel of any vehicle has the intelligence to determine for them selves whether or not they have gained the necessary skills and experience to handle the vehicle in the conditions that they are about to go out in - and I would also like to think that no ones ego would get in the way of seeking assistance be it paid for training or advice from peers when they feel that maybe they don't have all the skills necessary. Unfortunately this is not reallity and not every one is responsible enough to know if training is required or not.

I am personally going to take my advanced powerboat course purely as a way of measuring my own skill set against that of a recognised external "yard stick" to highlight to myself weather or not I am actually missing any fundamental skills.

I have the advantage of having a powerboat instructor in the familly so it will cost me very little to do this - If you cant afford to pay for or take the time to do a course - then please please follow my other advice of mixing with as many boat users as possible and dont ever stop asking questions - NO ONE KNOWS IT ALL !!!
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 October 2005, 10:50   #148

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
I am absolutely not one of the "don't need training brigade." But at the same time I don't want training to be put on a pedestal as the only route to mastering a particular skill.

I am personally going to take my advanced powerboat course purely as a way of measuring my own skill set against that of a recognised external "yard stick" to highlight to myself weather or not I am actually missing any fundamental skills.

I have the advantage of having a powerboat instructor in the familly so it will cost me very little to do this - If you cant afford to pay for or take the time to do a course - then please please follow my other advice of mixing with as many boat users as possible and dont ever stop asking questions - NO ONE KNOWS IT ALL !!!
Training should not be put on a pedestal I agree .It will lessen the learning curve as will seeking advice and observing those with more experience than your self.
By doing your Advanced you will hopefully learn some more from your Instructor and this will only add to your Knowledge and experience.As for no one knows it all , I agree again, if we knew it all we would not have to learn and if we don't need to learn then there is no need for experience or training .
Old 06 October 2005, 11:16   #149

Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by eupa

BUT yiou can train a monkey to do anything---- but it does not mean that training will give you the KNOWLEDGE to tackle problems.

Also - a lot of solutions to problems that we encounter can be solved by common sense..unfortunately there aint much of that around these days...

Jonathan
Nicely put. training and experience go hand in hand and if there is common sense applied then they are probably a winner.

An additional factor which can be missing in individuals is having a mind set that is able to cope when the chips are down, not panic and apply that training and common sense.

All the training and knowledge in the world comes to a hill of beans when that vacent and blank panic look shows up.

I'm sure most may have experienced both sides of the coin so to speak.

paul
Old 06 October 2005, 14:34   #150

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
My God - I find most of these posts are now in agreement - what's happened???

Even Eupa!!!!
Old 06 October 2005, 14:35   #151

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Brooks

I feel they go hand in hand, like love and marraige, you can't have one without the other!

Regards
I dunno I met and fell in love with Stevie Ray Vaughn and Mrs Rogue on the same day! and I still listen to Stevie
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote