Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
I totally agree with most of that - ALL I am trying to say is that qualifications carry too much weight and experience should count for more - surely I am not the only person who thinks that???
Try saying that to the MCA when they inspect you vessel which you use for business and you dont have your commercial endorsment.
After all that is only an exam!

"well you see Mr MCA man, I have been playing on boats since I was a nipper and felt my experience counts for more than some silly qualification"

Just trying to add some kind of perspective.

Regards
Old 30 September 2005, 08:58   #62

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Quote:
I DID pass all the exams - never had below 90% but that is not the point!!!

That good source can't have used them then - or else maybe they suit people like me better who learns far better alone!!!

As to a waste of money - er well umm.............
You DO fill Manos's boots very well!
Old 30 September 2005, 10:10   #63

Town: Cowes
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
www.codprawn.net

It could be the new google - knows absolutely EVERYTHING!
Old 30 September 2005, 10:57   #64

Town: Hamble
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct01
You DO fill Manos's boots very well!
ROTFLMAO
Old 30 September 2005, 11:32   #65

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
phew... this is getting interesting and I am not even involved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jonathan
Old 30 September 2005, 11:39   #66

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
today is POETS day....pi$$ off early tomorrows saturday....

just a bit of fun as we head into the weekend!!!
Old 30 September 2005, 12:06   #67

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:

In fact it will be an RNLI cox who will be taking my RIB out first into the Loughor Estuary to show me how to avoid trouble.....
WOW
Old 30 September 2005, 12:51   #68

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Remember Remember the 5th of November

Remember its bonfire night soon and get your "Guys" ready...

always have an adult with you and get them to light the blue touch paper and then stand well back

we can then all watch the spectacle unfold before our eyes in relative safety

;-)
Old 30 September 2005, 13:21   #69

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Which is what my certification is

You're very fickle in your reasoning, one minute you state that a qualification is elitist, then thirteen minutes later you seem to want to imply that there are more more MS certified professionals

But we agreed to move on.

You failed to answer if your degree is a BSc or MSc - I'll assume that it BSc as I could be wrong, but you just pass a Masters?

And you didn't reply to your year of graduation.

That would be interesting to know, as Swansea don't currently do Physics with Astronomy.

http://www2.swan.ac.uk/courses/physics/index.htm
We agreed to move on??? Don't remember agreeing to anything - also there is nothing I would like better - it seems to be YOU have a bee in the bonnet!!!

As to being rather contradictory you obviously don't understand sarcasm - when I said "elitist" I WAS being sarcastic - when you came back at me with all those numbers it just proved my point - MCSE - common as mud!!! Much the same as degrees these days. There are FAR higher and more esoteric qualifications than these - they are considered pretty much basic now!!!

As to the rest I refuse to submit to further interrogation - you are making me out to be a liar which I DONT LIKE!!!! I have never accused you of ANYTHING!!!

I only ever mentioned my qualifications because I was accused of being one of those people who didn't have any and that is why I don't value them.
Old 30 September 2005, 13:26   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Brooks
Try saying that to the MCA when they inspect you vessel which you use for business and you dont have your commercial endorsment.
After all that is only an exam!

"well you see Mr MCA man, I have been playing on boats since I was a nipper and felt my experience counts for more than some silly qualification"

Just trying to add some kind of perspective.

Regards
Which is EXACTLY why I am going through the whole process!!!

Can't ANY of you see what I am getting at??? People with only 7 or 8 days of courses are allowed to take out fare paying passengers whilst someone who has been to sea for the last 20 years can't!!!

Could be too many people have a vested interest in these courses???
Old 30 September 2005, 13:28   #71

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
OK, let's just accept that you haven't passed any Microsoft exams shall we, and move on?
Quote:
Why not - they are a waste of time anyway........
Quote:
We agreed to move on??? Don't remember agreeing to anything...
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2005, 13:46   #72

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Codprawn,

Try to understand why people may be suspicious of the veracity of your claims:

1. You have been a member of the forum for eighteen months yet (as far as we know), in spite of our invitation, you have not met any other person from the forum.

2. You make out that you have expert knowledge of several subjects yet at times seem to lack knowledge of some basic concepts of those subjects.

3. You hide your identity behind a silly pseudonym and by not posting any pictures which include yourself.

4. You post at some very strange times when most of us are tucked up in bed.

5. You become evasive when asked to provide more specific information.

Now I'm sure plenty of us may display one or two of these characteristics but put them all together and is it any wonder that we don't know what to believe?!

So how about putting us all out of our misery and coming clean? Why not meet up with one of us, come out on Blue Ice, post some pictures of yourself? Then everyone would have to shut up!

P.S. I'm not having a go at you; I'm sure you are a very nice person and some (maybe all) of what you say is true but try to see things from another perspective.
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2005, 13:54   #73

Town: sunny wales
Boat name: notimetochat
Make: codprawn industries
Engine: 2.3 honda
I would like you all to know my father is a fine upstanding gentleman and everything he says is true.................honest!.....well i believe him anyway.
Old 30 September 2005, 14:01   #74
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Experience and training go hand in hand. I don’t believe either are particularly affective or efficient on their own.

I have seen a number of people on level two courses who have owned boats for years, spent loads of time on the water, struggling with their boat and to be honest are pretty dangerous. Unfortunately they also become less open to new ideas, which makes teaching them harder. So has experience without training done them any good? Not really. Most of these people come to realise through training that actually there are some very simple ways to do things and become much better skippers for it.

Of course you also get people who are brilliant at driving and have had loads of experience without training.

The best way to approach boating in my opinion is to do the course before you start doing anything. Learn the theory and then go out and gain your experience doing things correctly.
Old 30 September 2005, 14:04   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by codspawn
I would like you all to know my father is a fine upstanding gentleman and everything he says is true.................honest!.....well i believe him anyway.
VERY original name you have there...............
Old 30 September 2005, 14:19   #76
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
How do you measure experience? How does the MCA measure experience? It's difficult to do - so there is a paper based system to illustrate competance. And that's it. That's all it is.

The only people who have asked to see my credentials are the MCA - and that's because they need to 'tick boxes' to ensure that I am 'legal' before they give me permission to operate. How else can they do it?

Suggestions on a postcard to the MCA......

Dylan...
Old 30 September 2005, 14:19   #77

Town: sunny wales
Boat name: notimetochat
Make: codprawn industries
Engine: 2.3 honda
Quote:
VERY original name you have there...............
Yes is our family name, some have said it is a bit fishy but some have also said a few things about our family are a bit fishy!! I guess it comes from our time at sea pulling the big ones in...mind you some really big ones got away but that is another story......well it is the weekend nearly so i am going to get me RIB...er...i mean SIB ready for a weekend of tough action out there. Some rough weather instore but I rely on my salty sea dog roots to get me through.

I have recently had the 2.3 rebored to 2.5 so cant wait to open her up and see what she will do....

TTFN
Old 30 September 2005, 14:22   #78

Town: Bialystock
Codspawn is a lying git!

Codspawn is feebly attempting to gain credibility by cashing in on his membership of our illustrious family - I happen to recall when he was cast out as a heretical unbeliever when he questioned Dad's claim to have invented breadsticks, and been the first Welsh person to wear safety headgear.

Go back to Cardiff boyo - you're not needed here!
Old 30 September 2005, 14:23   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise
Codprawn,

Try to understand why people may be suspicious of the veracity of your claims:

1. You have been a member of the forum for eighteen months yet (as far as we know), in spite of our invitation, you have not met any other person from the forum.

2. You make out that you have expert knowledge of several subjects yet at times seem to lack knowledge of some basic concepts of those subjects.

3. You hide your identity behind a silly pseudonym and by not posting any pictures which include yourself.

Now I'm sure plenty of us may display one or two of these characteristics but put them all together and is it any wonder that we don't know what to believe?!

So how about putting us all out of our misery and coming clean? Why not meet up with one of us, come out on Blue Ice, post some pictures of yourself? Then everyone would have to shut up!

P.S. I'm not having a go at you; I'm sure you are a very nice person and some (maybe all) of what you say is true but try to see things from another perspective.

Silly pseudonym??? Of course names like donustina911 - Garfish - hard1 etc are all perfectly sensible - didn't realise we had to be so serious!!!

Examples please!!! The people who have drawn these conclusions are of course SO knowledgable!!! When I am wrong about something I will ALWAYS admit it!!!

Thought it was a free country unless Tony has brought in another law!!!

I HAVE explained this one before - I often work on networks when other people aren't using them!!!

I do NOT become evasive - I become ANNOYED when I am basically being accused of being a liar!!!

As to meeting up with people I would have loved to when I finally get my boat but would YOU want to after all this????

As to trying to see things from another perspective - maybe I am one of those rare people who is too prepared to take people at face value and I expect others to do the same.

If someone on here tells me they are a neurosurgeon or a pilot or whatever I am not sad enough to go prying and poking to find out if it is true - if they are sad enough to make such claims and they are false then I feel sorry for them - basically I don't give a damn either way.
Old 30 September 2005, 14:25   #80

Who let the kids out of the playpen then??? Don't people realise how childish all this is???